Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Test rode the Indian Chieftain today (took two demo rides). After riding Goldwing/Roadsmith trike for the last two years it felt real good to get back on two wheels. The Chieftain is made for us short legged riders (I'm 5' 8”). Plenty low enough to flat foot and well balanced. In the low position it's easy to see over the windshield and with the windshield up it will be easy to thwart any winds that might normally turn your head into a bubble head doll. I rode two different Chieftains. One I didn't feel real comfortable on seat wise but it rode well with no vibration unfortunately both mirrors were loose and wouldn't tighten up. The second bike was more comfortable seat wise but had some vibration to it through the floorboards which went away when I went into the next gear. The first bike had the riders back rest on it so I was interested in finding out how getting on and off the bike would be (piece a cake) fold the backrest over, throw your leg over and tip it up and sit down. I was very pleased with the sound of the standard mufflers. On the second ride is where I got to find out about power (I got to hang back and play catch up), just as good as the Goldwing for sure. Radio was turned on the second machine so before we left I cued in my station and cracked up the tunes some, sounded good enough for me. The radio's probably just fine and you should be able to upgrade speakers without much problem (especially if your a DIY guy). Two cons would be lousy LCD screen display and the kickstand is a little hard to reach but with some practice (and maybe an extender for some of you) be just fine. Overall it give the Chieftain and A but no plus (won't stop me from buying one). It's a very nice machine. For a first year run Polaris did very well.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice review! What was up with the LCD screen? Was it too shiny and picked up too much reflection, hard to navigate, too small or what?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the time it was hard to see it. I rode in cloud and sun and found both ways I might not be able to see everything on the screen. But both rides I took were only 20 minutes each and it was just a quick observation. Someone may end up building a sunshade to fit the instrument panel and that might help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I should tell people the LCD screen on the GL1800 has two lights at the bottom of the screen. One of them is the OD (overdrive fifth gear light) and the other is the cruise control set light. When the sun is at my back (behind me) those are the two lights that I will not see, there both in red.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ah I see what you mean now. Yeah that doesn't really seem to make it easy to glance down and get the info you're looking for quickly on a sunny day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Chandler Arizona dealer I talked to said you can adjust the LCD screen darker or lighter but not sure how much.
Right hand index finger toggle, will adjust briteness intensity 0-100%. It doesn't cure the sun washout, just allows less intense for nite time riding

·
Rider
1,100 Posts
I have the same issue on my R1200RT BMW and a company named Wunderlich makes a cover for the dash to cut down on the side glare AND they give you a sheet of non reflective film as well. BMW actually started to do something like this from 2010 on. Perhaps there is some anti-reflective film to be bought and cut to fit and maybe the after market will get around to making something like this for the Chieftain once enough of them are built.

RT Dash Cover.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts