Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HD of Tucson was always a serious franchise with the requisite location on a frontage road adjacent an interstate {I-10 }north of downtown Tucson. Unfortunately for them a major I-10 improvement project at Ina Road shut down their frontage road access and made getting into the dealership a serious PITA. It took 2+ years to complete the new bridge construction along with all of the rerouting of the surface streets all the while walk in traffic to the dealership all but disappeared. Then once the project was completed it seems as though they never got back their primary, front door access back. Throw in the Coronavirus and apparently it was more then they could survive.

As I drove by on I-10 the other day I glanced over and saw no bikes whatsoever where there had always been lots. Could not tell from the freeway so while out for a nice 3 hour early morning ride I rode up to their back door. The gate to their parking lot was locked though there were a couple of trucks and a trailer or two in their large parking lot there was not a bike in sight.

Oddly enough I am still getting e mails for sales and promotions with no mention of a new location or any shut down...WTF? Has anyone out this way heard what went down? There is {was?} another large HD dealership way out on the east side of Tucson and I've not heard anything about there situation.

o_O

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
So is this one.....

Tim
We may not have heard the last of this one. The owner claims he did not write the post and apparently his account had been hacked. I have no idea how he might prove it but if so I wonder if he will be able to get his dealership agreements back?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Indian dealer closed for a similar reason last year in Atlanta, the road was being widened and their lot was already not in the best of places. Sometimes its too expensive to pick up and move and with current conditions it might not take much to tip a few dealers to being out of business. Then to top it off in the Harley camp, they are going to purposefully not ship bikes to many dealers which has been seen by some as a means to rid them of smaller dealerships they no longer desire

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are not closed. THD still is a pretty big player. With Corona Virus happening, they shut it down on Tuesdays and Wednesday for a while while there other shop on the other side of town is closed Sunday and Monday. Both shops are open.

·
Rider
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I know is that this morning {Friday} at 0900 the place was deserted, the rear gate locked and not a bike in sight. To repeat... WTF???

:unsure:

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
"Dealer closings" will be a new hot thread topic here.
There will be many.
Especially in the HD Camp. Not only via shrinking sales, but also by design..
They can't abandon their then current/future sale structure models which consisted of their status quo production levels on existing models with the addition of 4 new lines, then go to an austerity like bare bones biz model cutting those new models, cutting a few existing, and lower production of existing model's and not shrink network.
As I see it, since the slide was as big as it was, it looks as though in order to keep things as they are network wise, their sales numbers would have go up around 30-40%. By This afternoon. and stay that way.
I predict we will see a 25% or slightly larger drop in their dealer network... sadly.

For those losing due to city planing.
Sue.
It is responsibility of The city to do what it takes to give the business the best alternative for access, parking, and traffic in the case a city project effects those things. In cases where that is not possible, there is supposed to be compensation options available.
I learned this when I got a letter saying they were going to shut down the 4 blocks Worth of street my music store was in the middle of. My shop and the business around it had no alternative access, no rear entries, no parking lots. So we were basically at letters reading, shut down for that period. Impossible.
So we contacted our alderman.
The city council than stepped in and had planners do the project in a way were there was access to the businesses at all times throughout the project.
We only then after creating the stink, were given paper work for compensation benefits if it came to it.

If a community does not have this, move. That community sucks. That is literally what city planning is all about and why business taxes are paid...

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Harley just dropped off the S&P 500. If thats indicative of other problems? I'm not sure.
Filing 8K paper work along with that for surely is.
8k is basically a "heads up" to share holder's that they are deviating from the previous financial plans.
That being, They are borrowing yet another $150m

1 - 13 of 13 Posts