Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok before anyone starts, I know this subject has been beat to death on here. But I think I have a little different approach this time.

I have (had) a ‘16 Springfield, hit a deer 2 weeks ago while going 70. Haven’t heard from the insurance because we’re at the mercy of the dealer to give us an itemized repair estimate. Anyway I’m pretty certain it will be totaled. And I’ve been considering what I want next. I was dead set on a fairing bike next, most likely Roadmaster, but yesterday I road a friends Harley just to make sure I wouldn’t be nervous or scared since I haven’t ridden since the wreck.

Here is where my dilemma comes in. The bike I was riding was just an 883 sportster with apes. Now I’ve had the Indian apes and didn’t like them, not because of the height so much as the grip angle and how they didn’t pull back much. But these HD apes fit perfectly! The grip angles were great, the height was great, no windshield at all and I loved it! Last time I took my windshield off my Springfield I thought I was gonna get blown off of it, I’m thinking that was due to the stock low handlebars.

So I’m back to thinking of another Springfield and apes. Especially since I had the apes before I’ve had my seat modified by Russell day long and it has lifted me up and pushed me forward some. But I’d love to adjust the grip angles. Anybody ever tried to heat and bend them? They’re stainless so should be easy to polish back out. It’s an expensive experiment so I’m hoping someone has done it before. Or at least considered it.

Here is a pic of it when I had the apes. I made one long trip with them and it killed my back.
189DCECC-158B-430B-89AF-13E4734B20F0.jpeg

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, after my little run in with Bambi’s daddy, I’m committed to more gear. Like a full face helmet my wife insisted I wear. I will wear gloves from now on, and I’m looking at riding jacket and pants too. So if I’m wearing wind protection, don’t really need it in a fairing....
EFA85CEF-4B5A-496F-B9FE-20C56D1E90FB.jpeg
91DF3670-38DB-4B7B-8B62-61F71BE0AED0.jpeg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad you are ok. I’m sure that was scary ride. Don’t know about the bars, but curious about gear you were wearing during crash and how it held up?

·
Silver member
5,113 Posts
Why don't you just increase the slot pin line-up on the bars so you can rock your grips whichever direction you desire. I pulled my stock bars up two inches. The angles works for me on clutch side, but on the right side I have been considering increasing the slot so I can rotate them brake side a pinch more.

I've just been a little paranoid to take a Dremel to it and have some hot grinding fry a wire or something....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pablo94 - I may do that, when I get another bike. I do have a set of stock bars from a chieftain I could play with.

Papak - I was very blessed I wasn’t hurt worse than I was. It was 5:45 in the morning on my way to work. Only real gear I had on was a Torc T-1 helmet. I work in an oil refinery so I have long sleeves and FR shirt and pants along with leather steeled toe boots. my wife insisted on the full face, now I wear a full face, gloves, and looking at riding jacket and pants that are mesh or well vented for Mississippi summers. No broken bones, never lost consciousness, just some road rash that is almost all healed already.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts