Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather here finally cooled off enough for a 300 mile trip on my new (to me) 2016 Roadmaster. Spent many hours searching the forums for comments regarding the ups and downs associated with this bike.
First of all... bought my first big bike in 1978..... a new Harley FLH. Road shovelheads for years, moved up to Evo rubber glides and 12 years ago got an 88" twin cam. No stranger to cross country touring on a big moto. At 68, with osteoarthritis, I was a little intimidated by the size of the RM. Seems like right now it's working out OK.
Previous owner added Freedom true duals and a Fuel Moto Voodoo air cleaner. He did not change the engine management system.
So 300 miles later, I can say the following:
1. Great highway bike and great windy rode bike. Surprisingly easy to handle and comfortable.
2. Got to be careful in parking lots and gas stations with the wife on the back.
3. Great power, although I don't think it runs any better than a stock RM bike I rented for a day 3 years ago.
4. Has the "clatter" under light load between 2000 - 2800 RPM. Sounds like a rattle can of paint. Goes away if given more throttle load. Lots of forum posts of this.... I am not going to worry about it now.
Overall, very pleased with the quality of the ride and the torque of the motor. The bike's going over to Indian MC in Scottsdale, AZ for a dyno-tune and a PVCX engine management upgrade. I don't know if this will improve power delivery or make any difference on the rattle, but it seems like the right thing to do given the pipes and air cleaner currently installed.
When we returned after our trip (was 95 deg) I took out the dipstick and dropped a thermometer in the sump. Was surprised the maximum oil temp was 190 deg. My FLHTC under the same conditions would be 250 deg plus.

Will post outcome of the dyno-tune when the bike comes home.

Great Forum BTW.
Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Automotive tire

·
Silver member
5,309 Posts
Welcome to the tribe from once again sunny Ca!

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Bronze member
2,878 Posts
Yep, you bought a Clacker..

If your tuner knows how to retune (via PV3) for Clack mitigation, you should see a total cure, down to insignificant noise every now and then..

But that's a big "if"..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, you bought a Clacker..

If your tuner knows how to retune (via PV3) for Clack mitigation, you should see a total cure, down to insignificant noise every now and then..

But that's a big "if"..
Yeah we'll see if a PV3 upgrade does anything for engine noise. The shop is aware that I have a concern with the clatter. Sounds to me more mechanical than something tuneable, but this is new to me. Shop has a great reputation locally, so we will see. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome from SE PA! Ride the 2019 RM. Love it! And really love that color combo on yours too!

Reactions: TerryJ

·
Bronze member
2,878 Posts
Yeah we'll see if a PV3 upgrade does anything for engine noise. The shop is aware that I have a concern with the clatter. Sounds to me more mechanical than something tuneable, but this is new to me. Shop has a great reputation locally, so we will see. Thanks for the reply.
Clacking is spark induced piston rattle - from flawed ignition programming.. Change the spark properly (the ignition scheme for low loadings) , and you fix the clack..

This is fact, not fiction or speculation. And it's old news in here.

CraigB1960 found the erroneous programming and devised the best approaches for a "fix"..
Which now, IIRC, are incorporated into the FM canned tunes..

Sorry - never speak in codes, outta respect for the new members: FM = Fuel Moto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts