Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Should Android Auto be added as a standard feature/update to Ride Command?

• Yes

Votes: 140 96.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.4%

Android Auto

20469 172
I own a 2021 Challenger and love it. Great bike but can not for the life of me understand why Apple Car Play come standard on Rode Command but Android Auto is not available. I specifically want it for the maps/GPS.

The module that was installed is not worth it at all. It just makes sense to hook up my phone and use Google maps on it.

Will this feature be added?
Reactions: Gozap51
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

· Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
25 Posts
I'm not holding me breath. Victory motorcycles only supported apple products too so they apparently have a preference for those, or maybe a contract with apple. I'm an android user too and use android auto in my truck. Fortunately I also have an iPhone for work so I could try that out. So far I'm not impressed with the map on the iPhone or with the GPS built into the Ride Command. You can't set preferences or things to avoid, like interstate highways. I'm tempted to skip it and attach a Garmin Zumo to my handlebars. It's what I've used for years and built a healthy love/hate relationship with. I just blew $600 with installation and tax on the GPS/cellular modem with Apple CarPlay. Should have got the zumo xt when it was on sale for $400. But I wanted integrated GPS not one attached to the bike.

· Registered
2021 Challenger
119 Posts
I've had ongoing issues with carplay integration that seems to be common. It got to the point I handlebar mounted my phone and ran the cable to the glovebox so that if the connection died then I could still use the phone screen for navigation. I recently switched to android and im just going to use the phone for full time navigation (unless it's too hot out then ill use the ride command navigation). The frustration of linking phone and bike is just not really worth it in my opinion. Bluetooth has been pretty solid but carplay was so disappointing.

· Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
2,051 Posts
There was another thread talking about this and some suggested there was a licensing issue. Like you, I'd like you use it as well.

· Registered
16 Posts
If you are able to use Car Play/Android Auto using your cellphone wireless connection, this would eliminate the need for the RC subscription. Giving the current unreliability of RC sounds like a good trade-off.

· Registered
570 Posts
If you are able to use Car Play/Android Auto using your cellphone wireless connection, this would eliminate the need for the RC subscription. Giving the current unreliability of RC sounds like a good trade-off.
If you have an I-Phone it may work, sometimes, maybe. Android auto? SOL going on year 3 now. I bought my 2020 in Oct 19 when they said AA was coming. 3 years is usually about end of life for updates to these systems meaning were getting close. My guess is they have had so many problems with RC they either dump it all together or come out with an entirely new one like they did in 20. Nothing is likely to happen during the supply chain so that may mean another 2 years or so of "fixes". The fixes only come once or twice per year and are not major.

I'm really negative on this thing. If there is one thing that is a black eye for Indian besides the dealer network it's Ride Command. Whoever was in charge of this part of the business should be replaced with someone who knows tech. Every auto mfg. has it together for years but Indian is still learning how to ride without training wheels.

· Registered
143 Posts
I read about how bad ride command was before I bought the bike, and I have to say, it is worse than expected. That being said, I bought a cheap Iphone on a $25/month visible plan just to be able to use carplay. It really is sad how bad RC is. Even the mileage shown on the screen is orders of magnitude off. The GPS still sometimes shows my position being in the weeds while on the road, and the latest update did not stop it from completely losing my position and freezing up randomly.

· Registered
2021 Challenger
119 Posts
One thing that's pausing me from buying a motorcycle is that I want Android Auto integrated. Get it together Polaris, you're losing sales!
If the android auto connection stability and gps issues are as bad as apple carplay you will be disappointed after you buy the bike. I really do like the bike but ride command is its Achilles heel.

· Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2021 Challenger and love it. Great bike but can not for the life of me understand why Apple Car Play come standard on Rode Command but Android Auto is not available. I specifically want it for the maps/GPS.

The module that was installed is not worth it at all. It just makes sense to hook up my phone and use Google maps on it.

· Registered
2 Posts
I agree! It's ridiculous they don't have android auto. I have inquiried many times and keep getting the same response. They are working on it. Everyone does not prefer or use iphones! The navigation on ride command is useless. Has hardly no functionality except put in the address. It is a shame we buy $30-$50 bikes from them and they can't make progress on new features and listen to be our needs.

Polaris is really starting to irritate me on many levels.

· Premium Member
293 Posts
REVER and Waze will work with Apple Car Play and give access on the Ride Command screen.

· Registered
2021 Challenger
119 Posts
I agree! It's ridiculous they don't have android auto. I have inquiried many times and keep getting the same response. They are working on it. Everyone does not prefer or use iphones! The navigation on ride command is useless. Has hardly no functionality except put in the address. It is a shame we buy $30-$50 bikes from them and they can't make progress on new features and listen to be our needs.

Polaris is really starting to irritate me on many levels.
This might not be the answer you want to hear. Personally I have pretty much stopped buying products for features that they don't have at the time of purchase and may or may not get the feature down the line. I've been frustrated multiple times over features/updates that were supposed to come but never materialized. Now I've changed my expectations and I don't get annoyed when a feature never happens or takes a very long time.

The carplay integration is so bad on my bike I stopped using it. I handlebar mounted my phone and use it for navigation. You can do that for any brand phone and just Bluetooth to the bike. You also get the benefit of having your bike screen to use for anything but navigation because your phone is navigating. Also the maps on your phone are more up to date. My base qualifications for vehicles are that it has Bluetooth and charges the phone and I just expect I'll be handlebar/dash mounting the phone. Just wanted to throw out another perspective. Spend the money to get a quad lock system with vibration dampener and download the android auto app then its at least a similar experience to android auto on the bike.

· Registered
22 Posts

I've found a solution!!!!! However, I must admit that it was found by accident.

Short Version: Purchase the Carlinkit 4 device. Bridges the gap and connected my 2020 Chieftain DH with Android Auto.

Long Version:
First, I do have 2 phones Pixel 6 (Android-personal) and iPhone 13 (work). I hate not having Android Auto, so I do connect my iPhone to my 2020 Indian Chieftain to use Google Services via Carplay (Maps/Music).
Second, I wanted to use a wireless Carplay adapter to minimize the connections and bad cable drama. I purchased the Carlinkit 4 ($100 from Amazon). This setup worked great on the Chieftain (highly recommend).
Third, I do use this wireless Carlinkit 4.0 in my '13 VW CC. The radio here uses both Carplay and Android Auto. This wireless device CAN connect to both mobile devices.
Finally, I went into my garage to "tinker" with the bike. My Android phone by my side (iphone in my basement office). I powered on the bike... The Carlink device assumed an Android Connection and proceeded to start Android Auto!!!!

It WORKS!!!

Attachments

· Registered
69 Posts
I've found a solution!!!!! However, I must admit that it was found by accident.

Short Version: Purchase the Carlinkit 4 device. Bridges the gap and connected my 2020 Chieftain DH with Android Auto.

Long Version:
First, I do have 2 phones Pixel 6 (Android-personal) and iPhone 13 (work). I hate not having Android Auto, so I do connect my iPhone to my 2020 Indian Chieftain to use Google Services via Carplay (Maps/Music).
Second, I wanted to use a wireless Carplay adapter to minimize the connections and bad cable drama. I purchased the Carlinkit 4 ($100 from Amazon). This setup worked great on the Chieftain (highly recommend).
Third, I do use this wireless Carlinkit 4.0 in my '13 VW CC. The radio here uses both Carplay and Android Auto. This wireless device CAN connect to both mobile devices.
Finally, I went into my garage to "tinker" with the bike. My Android phone by my side (iphone in my basement office). I powered on the bike... The Carlink device assumed an Android Connection and proceeded to start Android Auto!!!!

It WORKS!!!
So you connected the Carlinkit to the USB port of the bike and then connected the phone to the Carlinkit using Bluetooth?

· Registered
22 Posts
So you connected the Carlinkit to the USB port of the bike and then connected the phone to the Carlinkit using Bluetooth?
Yes. So far, so good. I'm sure there could be a few glitches. This was a surprise to me. Takes about 30 seconds to connect (same as carplay). This is a limitation of the Carplay 4.0 device.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 173 Posts