Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was also thinking the same thing, but I was unsure which method of contact would be best?! How did you reach out to Indian Motorcycle after you got the Challenger? Email? If so what address did you email? Let's put it out there so EVERYONE that reads the thread can just take the 2.5 minutes to copy/paste and send an email requesting Android Auto integration!
This is the link I used: Contact Us by Email - Customer Service | Indian Motorcycle

·
Rider
1,032 Posts
They know but I think they can't do anything about it. Maybe it's a licensing thing or legal issue of some kind. Cost benefit analysis: how many sales are we losing by not paying for it? I know I won't buy a bike without it but until it hits them in the wallet, nothing will change.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
They know but I think they can't do anything about it. Maybe it's a licensing thing or legal issue of some kind. Cost benefit analysis: how many sales are we losing by not paying for it? I know I won't buy a bike without it but until it hits them in the wallet, nothing will change.
These things are made with the intention of creating a revenue stream from subscriptions and its big revenue if done correctly. When free trials end (2 years on mine) and very few subscribe due to lack of features they will have two choices, up their game or quit offering support all together. I know I won't be subscribing to anything resembling the current software, it's useless.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I sent an email to the link above and got more than a canned response. Maybe, just maybe there is a sliver of hope:

"Thank you for contacting Polaris. As of right now, I cannot speak to upcoming updates and how they may align with Android Auto and Apple Car Play. I can let you know that you are certainly not the first person to inquire about this and the Ride Command dev team has been notified about consumer interest. They are constantly working on integration and compatibility updates so I am hopefully that there will be many more to come in the future. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Ride On,"

Let's get as many people as we can to send an email inquiry. Maybe if they know there are enough riders that want it they will more seriously consider it.

·
Rider
1,032 Posts
I kept my word and sold my chieftain and bought a road glide. I use Android auto every day now.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
47 Posts
Bought my Challenger Limited back on May 29th, was super disappointed in no Android Auto Support. And the Ride Command App on Android for the Life of me I cannot get it to work / sync with my bike. And yes Bluetooth is on and connected, I play Music over bluetooth, and can see text messages pop up and people calling no problem.

But yea Back to Android Auto need some user backing for sure. Or at the very least make the ride command app more intuitive and make it sync correctly. But sure would be nice to change music playlists without digging out the phone.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my Challenger Limited back on May 29th, was super disappointed in no Android Auto Support. And the Ride Command App on Android for the Life of me I cannot get it to work/sync with my bike. And yes Bluetooth is on and connected, I play Music over bluetooth, and can see text messages pop up and people calling no problem.

But yea Back to Android Auto need some user backing for sure. Or at the very least make the ride command app more intuitive and make it sync correctly. But sure would be nice to change music playlists without digging out the phone.
Yes, Indian really dropped the ball on Andriod Auto. True tech people buy flagship Andriod products like higher-end Galaxy's or Pixels. They are so far ahead of Apple tech-wise. I migrated back in Generation 6 from an iPhone to a Galaxy and it was like coming out of the dark ages. As a senior software engineer, I haven't interviewed or met another software engineer in a very long time that uses Apple. I hope they get this resolved in the newer models.

·
Rider
1,032 Posts
At least you still have an Indian avatar and signature ;).
Not a huge priority to change it. My chieftain was light years better than my road glide but I couldn't get it serviced and I wanted android auto. I ride atleast 10k miles a year.

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
71 Posts
I sent them a picture of an 1980's hand held game that exactly matched the looks of the ride command. This was back in 2018. 2 years later they put Apple Car play in.. Just saying

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I submitted a request to Polaris as well, it's ridiculous that Android is not supported.
Reply from Polaris:

Contact Polaris

Hello Peter,
Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle. In regards to Android users and ride command they are not compatible just yet. Our tech team is working on an update to link in android users to have access. I will be forwarding your concerns about the android and ride command to our tech team for further addressing. Thanks for your input about our ride command /road maps.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can do to assist. I can be reached at 1-877-204-3697 or by replying directly to this email and referencing your case number. c-7005688

Check out the Indian Motorcycle Help Center at www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/self-help/ for vehicle information, maintenance tips, and how-to videos.

Sincerely your friend at Indian Motorcycle,
Thomas, Representative, Owner Connections
2100 Highway 55 | Medina, MN 55340

www.polaris.com | 1-800-765-2747

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,456 Posts
I received the response below a couple weeks ago so don't hold your breath. It's not a complicated thing but Indian seems to think it is. Generally ride command, navigation and weather is useless. I just mounted my phone and use that for all functions except bike info and music control. They said AA was coming when I bought my bike 20 months ago, I'll be ready for a new one by the time they decide to get it done.

"Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle regarding the addition of Android Auto! Our Engineers continuously work to expand our product portfolio to meet the needs of our current and future riders, but I won't have information regarding model year updates until it is released on our website.

Similar to Apple CarPlay, Android has certain specifications that need to be met to allow vehicles to use the product, and we are always looking into various options. Your best option will be to stay in touch with your local, authorized Indian Motorcycle dealer and continue to check our website, www.indianmotorcycle.com, for more information."

When I ask the dealer they know nothing and direct me to Indian customer support!

Great job Indian!
So don't call us, we'll call you :rolleyes:

Reactions: Wharf Rat

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,456 Posts
I have a feeling that this is the most important aspect of the issue, especially the houshold income part.

Font Material property Magenta Circle Diagram

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have a feeling that this is the most important aspect of the issue, especially the houshold income part.
Consider the source. And yes, that may be an overall true demographic, but that is simply because there are a ton of Android based options at all tiers. You can buy an Android phone for a couple hundred dollars. Apple is chasing this, and over the last few years has started pushing a lot of mid tier phones, though they have nothing on the low end. Samsung competes on all 3 tiers, and there are a number of Android manufacturers who compete on 1 or 2 of those. But there are also areas where one or the other stands out. Android is much more popular with people employed in tech, which is not exactly a small number of people with higher than average disposable income. Higher end Android users are also more likely to go with a purchase based on features or performance rather than swearing loyalty to a brand, which seems exactly the market Indian might want to go after. I don't think you would see a radically different demographic if you compared say Samsung Galaxy users and iPhone users based on income or location, but the overall Android market is much larger than just Galaxy users.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,710 Posts

View attachment 649293
I disagree since most new cars sold today have both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
4,684 Posts
Polaris signed a contract with Harmon Kardon to provide the Ride Command units from 2020 moving forward. Harmon Kardon is the on who decides when and how their software works depending on the terms of the contract Polaris made with them. Harmon Kardon makes the Infotainment systems for the Yamaha Eluder/Venture bikes and it took 3 years for them to update the system software to get basic functions like GPS to work correctly. So the Apple vs Android is a Harmon Kardon issue.

Harmon Kardon sold Polaris a bill of good on how super duper their system was and it does look good on paper, but those who have it know it is marginal

21 - 40 of 59 Posts