Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Rider
1,032 Posts
They better.

I'm probably getting a new bike next year and android auto is a big selling point to me. HD has it. I'm not spending 25k+ on a touring bike that doesn't have what I want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Txn.style

·
Bronze member
2,411 Posts
Hope so

·
Registered
614 Posts
I find it strange they would offer up CarPlay before AA. I dont think AA charges a licensing fee like CarPlay requires....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Android does charge a licensing fee, but the fee is less than Apple charges. I am an Android guy and it drives me nuts that manufactures assume Apple will appeal to more of their demographic. Until a few months ago Android had more of a market share in the US than Apple. But i guess they figure if they have an iPhone then everybody must have one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Still still waiting for the Android Auto. Is Indian really going to come out with it? Or are we going to be left out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have heard nothing about this coming out and I'm flabbergasted.
I'm really holding my breath on this feature. Polaris is really reaching a wide audience with thier current line ups and with the new chief out I can see the market share continue to grow.
Clearly they know about 35% of the phone smart phone using market uses Andoid. I'd be interested to see the split of riders who have Andoid vs apple products.
Anyhow... Bought a challenger seeing apple car play come to it thinking Andoid Auto would be a couple months behind.... Heading into riding season 2 and no news. Getting a little erked... But again it was my own assumption.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
Android does charge a licensing fee, but the fee is less than Apple charges. I am an Android guy and it drives me nuts that manufactures assume Apple will appeal to more of their demographic. Until a few months ago Android had more of a market share in the US than Apple. But i guess they figure if they have an iPhone then everybody must have one.
Also an Android guy, but that chart doesn't really take demographics into consideration. In the US specifically, Apple is doing quite a bit better. And if you limit that to the demographic of people that can afford luxury items like motorcycles, it skews even further towards Apple. A lot of the overall android share comes from the super cheap android phones available. Samsung's share is not exactly small, and a lot of people would rather choose a different vehicle than switch phones over the carplay/android auto bit. But a lot of it has to do with logistics. Apple actually does not charge a "licensing fee" for carplay integration. It does however require a specific chip be in the device. So, they get their money, but you have to plan further ahead. Android auto can be added later fairly easily. I would be surprised if it isn't coming soon, but I wouldn't buy on a hunch or even a promise of coming soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Android users need to contact indian and let them know we want Android auto. I did shortly after buying my challenger. Not sure how far it got, but if enough of us rattle their cage maybe.... sqeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. Let them know.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,709 Posts
I have a 2019 Road Glide that has Apple carplqy so as a long time Android user I switched to an iphone to be able to use carplay. Recently I switched back to an Android phone now that Android Auto is available. The Android connects much faster and I brought my Apple music app over to my new phone.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
It may end up being a key deciding factor for me. My wife is taking the riders class this summer, if she likes it and wants to ride her own, she can pick her bike. If she doesn't, I will be looking to add a full tourer as a 3rd bike late summer/early fall. Having ridden both the Roadmaster and the Ultra limited this year, there are advantages and disadvantages to both, but both are great bikes. It may well be that Android auto is the decider that sends me to the Ultra Limited. Won't give up my Springfield either way though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Greetings everyone, i am getting my 2021 indian challenger, and would like to have new phone as mine is very old.

will indian activate android Auto or will stick with Carplay ?

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,558 Posts
I don't think anyone knows for sure... I hope they add android auto.

·
Registered
177 Posts
will indian activate android Auto or will stick with Carplay ?
I received the response below a couple weeks ago so don't hold your breath. It's not a complicated thing but Indian seems to think it is. Generally ride command, navigation and weather is useless. I just mounted my phone and use that for all functions except bike info and music control. They said AA was coming when I bought my bike 20 months ago, I'll be ready for a new one by the time they decide to get it done.

"Thank you for contacting Indian Motorcycle regarding the addition of Android Auto! Our Engineers continuously work to expand our product portfolio to meet the needs of our current and future riders, but I won't have information regarding model year updates until it is released on our website.

Similar to Apple CarPlay, Android has certain specifications that need to be met to allow vehicles to use the product, and we are always looking into various options. Your best option will be to stay in touch with your local, authorized Indian Motorcycle dealer and continue to check our website, www.indianmotorcycle.com, for more information."

When I ask the dealer they know nothing and direct me to Indian customer support!

Great job Indian!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I asked the support team at Indian, they said they have a license with the folks that developed the ride command and it does not allow them to use Android for now. It could be offered, I suggest someone start an online petition through this site if possible.

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,709 Posts
I asked the support team at Indian, they said they have a license with the folks that developed the ride command and it does not allow them to use Android for now. It could be offered, I suggest someone start an online petition through this site if possible.
That's crazy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Android users need to contact indian and let them know we want Android auto. I did shortly after buying my challenger. Not sure how far it got, but if enough of us rattle their cage maybe.... sqeaky wheel gets the grease mentality. Let them know.
I was also thinking the same thing, but I was unsure which method of contact would be best?! How did you reach out to Indian Motorcycle after you got the Challenger? Email? If so what address did you email? Let's put it out there so EVERYONE that reads the thread can just take the 2.5 minutes to copy/paste and send an email requesting Android Auto integration!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts