Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
I think I finally realized what I want, a 1up sport tourer with room for a passenger. Something heavy enough to ride good and feel stable, but with a broader rpm range and a lighter feel. I still want a fairing, hard bags and a passenger seat but not a bike sprung for maximum load capacity. Something with an agressive lean angle and good brakes, but comfortable enough for 200-300 miles without fatigue.
FJR1300, BMW RT, Concourse, etc. etc. etc...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
FJR1300, BMW RT, Concourse, etc. etc. etc...
None of those are “American cruiser” Vtwin etc. All good bikes, but maybe the BMW being the exception, no soul. I still want that classic feel, just upgraded performance. That new motor looked the part...

·
Registered
287 Posts
No thanks required here, Bob.

Yes, I was the one who posted those shots of this new and apparently close to production bike yesterday. And no, I wasn't prompted to do so by any person associated with Polaris or Indian Motorcycles. And yes, those photos were sent to me via email by a friend who just happened upon the bike, and who also has no affiliation whatsoever with either of the aforementioned companies.

And then earlier this morning, I received a somewhat frantic phone call from an Indian Motorcycle corporate rep asking me to please remove them, of which I pretty much then replied that IF this means THAT much to you and your company feels THAT "threatened" about this, yes, okay I would. And then shortly thereafter I received a PM from one of this website's Admins, and which stated that they too had been notified by Polaris/Indian corporate and were asked to delete the entire thread, and so "as a courtesy" to Polaris/Indian corporate, they did. I then replied to said Admin that I had no problem with their decision to comply to their request.

But NOW I have one more comment to make here, or I suppose actually a question.

Can ANYONE explain to me why vehicle manufacturers have always felt that their pre-production vehicles which they might have being road tested need to be treated as some sort of "state secret"? It can't be that they might feel worried about their competition stealing some new and innovative design from them and thus then hitting the market earlier with their vehicle, and especially IF the "oh so secret" new vehicle being road tested is already in the pre-production phase of development, as the "lag time" involved for their competition to do such a thing would be prohibitive right there!

I've always gotten the idea that they're afraid if potential customers see the new-to-come vehicle, they then might hold off purchasing the company's existing product and thus lose sales. However, I think what the public seeing these "spy shots" ACTUALLY does more is to stimulate greater interest in the company's wares, present AND future, and perhaps even inhibits the sales of their competitors' product, with the idea that some potential customer might hold off purchasing the competitor's present product and wait a little while for the model they saw in the "spy shot" to hit the showroom floors.

(...so, what say you here)
One question Dargo, how did the Polaris rep know how to contact you via phone?

·
Banned
7,192 Posts

Yes, I was the one who posted those shots of this new and apparently close to production bike yesterday. And no, I wasn't prompted to do so by any person associated with Polaris or Indian Motorcycles. And yes, those photos were sent to me via email by a friend who just happened upon the bike, and who also has no affiliation whatsoever with either of the aforementioned companies.

And then earlier this morning, I received a somewhat frantic phone call from an Indian Motorcycle corporate rep asking me to please remove them, of which I pretty much then replied that IF this means THAT much to you and your company feels THAT "threatened" about this, yes, okay I would. And then shortly thereafter I received a PM from one of this website's Admins, and which stated that they too had been notified by Polaris/Indian corporate and were asked to delete the entire thread, and so "as a courtesy" to Polaris/Indian corporate, they did. I then replied to said Admin that I had no problem with their decision to comply to their request.

Can ANYONE explain to me why vehicle manufacturers have always felt that their pre-production vehicles which they might have being road tested need to be treated as some sort of "state secret"? It can't be that they might feel worried about their competition stealing some new and innovative design from them and thus then hitting the market earlier with their vehicle, and especially IF the "oh so secret" new vehicle being road tested is already in the pre-production phase of development, as the "lag time" involved for their competition to do such a thing would be prohibitive right there!

I've always gotten the idea that they're afraid if potential customers see the new-to-come vehicle, they then might hold off purchasing the company's existing product and thus lose sales. However, I think what the public seeing these "spy shots" ACTUALLY does more is to stimulate greater interest in the company's wares, present AND future, and perhaps even inhibits the sales of their competitors' product, with the idea that some potential customer might hold off purchasing the competitor's present product and wait a little while for the model they saw in the "spy shot" to hit the showroom floors.

I think it’s pretty funny..
The bike is covered just like when you see cars when they test their new models around town. (Including the badges)
Too bad they don’t contact you the same way when you have a problem with their product.
The corporation is not a member of this forum.. and can never be.. Maybe they own this forum?

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
@HuskyDavidson i would love if they just monitor these forums. It would show a serious interest on what the consumers thoughts and issues were on their products. Myself I would consider that smart business. But they must to a point because they did request it taken Down

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
As long as it's not another 800 to 900 pound couch on wheels I'm good with it. If they come out with an upper mid-size bike at about 650 to 700 pounds with a wheelbase right in between that of a Scout and that of a Chief I'm good with it.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Polaris,
Just build a bike in the Dyna, Softail, Vegas size category with an option to run a naked bike or add bags, detachable fairing with a radio option or windshield. As many of us age we are looking for lighter, easier to manage bikes or own one as a second bike for just pleasure riding or short trips. You have a tremendous gap between the Scout and Chief lineup that needs to be filled. A fixed fairing bike is good but you still have that void to fill between the Scout and Chief. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts

D) All of the above.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If they monitor this forum then they have to be seeing this growing demand to have a middle size bike. Size it and price it between the Scout and the Chief models and it will sell.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Well water cooled is the future with the engine displacement getting bigger all the time. Which increases the heat of the engine and heat is the enemy of these engines. I just hope they work better than HDs try with the " Gushmore's" lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I agree to an extent. The Thunderstroke motor is far from dead yet. There will be upgrades coming in the near future such as four valve heads and partial liquid cooling but it's not going away anytime soon. Pitting another engine of a similar displacement against it whether liquid cooled or not is ludicrous within the same makers line-up. Cannibalizing each other's sales isn't good marketing strategy.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I would think the Springfield was that middle of the road weight wise vs a chieftain or RM. or am I mistaken are they that close in weight. Compared to my Harley I think these Chieftains are half the work to throw around just don’t have the top heavyness and to me it feels like a 600lb Bike. First thing I noticed was I don’t have to grab the handle bars and jerk it off the stand. Never sat on a Springfield so I mite Be way off base here

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Yeah, posted a link to the web page that shows the new bike on a couple of threads and they got deleted pretty quick! You can find the pic and the article by Googling for it. Pretty sad we can't link stuff that is already on the web. D

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I was a member of the CVOharley.com forum. It was funded by donations from the members. That avoids any repercussions as far as content. No sponsors of any kind, only discounts from vendors who wanted to participate.

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
Yeah, posted a link to the web page that shows the new bike on a couple of threads and they got deleted pretty quick! You can find the pic and the article by Googling for it. Pretty sad we can't link stuff that is already on the web. D
Sad is right. If the forum really truly doesn't have a connection with Polaris they should tell them to pound sand. I'm not buying the reasons for removal thus far.
So how its turned out, the only place we can't look at these photos and discuss openly is here. Way to attract open dialog!

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
Sad is right. If the forum really truly doesn't have a connection with Polaris they should tell them to pound sand. I'm not buying the reasons for removal thus far.
So how its turned out, the only place we can't look at these photos and discuss openly is here. Way to attract open dialog!
Ever hear about courtesy, kindness, empathy, humility? Rings a bell maybe? No?

They asked nicely to remove material they consider private. We agreed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
May be I should have never mentioned in that thread about maybe just maybe thinking about re-considering buying a new Chieftain this month and waiting to see what the new one would be. :)

21 - 40 of 145 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.