Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had multiple conversations with H-D riders (both in person and online) regarding the Challenger over the past few months and they inevitably go something like this:
  • H-D guy: Indian just copied Harley.
  • Me: I didn't know Harley made a liquid cooled, fixed fairing bagger with a mono shock rear suspension, inverted front forks, Brembo brakes, and a Bosch 6-axis IMU at the heart of its traction control. Which model is that?
  • H-D guy: So you're saying it's more like an import, not really an AMERICAN bike
  • Me: If more like an import means that it has modern tech and actually performs and handles well, than yes.
  • H-D guy: Well it's still just a Polaris
  • Me: True, Indian's parent company is Polaris (a well known and respected American power sports company). Not sure why thats a bad thing. Indian makes a superior performing product with the possible exception of paint (I think H-D has great paint work).
  • H-D guy: It's still just a Polaris
I could almost script these conversations but I really don't understand why they end up going this way. Are some H-D people so insecure that they simply cannot accept any product that wasn't put out by the H-D mothership? And why is holding on to outdated tech (air cooled push rod v-twin) somehow viewed as more American than modern tech? I own a Challenger but I've got no problem with Harley, I've owned a few. That said, the differences in specs can't really be refuted (unless apparently, you drink the kool-aid ;))

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
I've had multiple conversations with H-D riders (both in person and online) regarding the Challenger over the past few months and they inevitably go something like this:
  • H-D guy: Indian just copied Harley.
  • Me: I didn't know Harley made a liquid cooled, fixed fairing bagger with a mono shock rear suspension, inverted front forks, Brembo brakes, and a Bosch 6-axis IMU at the heart of its traction control. Which model is that?
  • H-D guy: So you're saying it's more like an import, not really an AMERICAN bike
  • Me: If more like an import means that it has modern tech and actually performs and handles well, than yes.
  • H-D guy: Well it's still just a Polaris
  • Me: True, Indian's parent company is Polaris (a well known and respected American power sports company). Not sure why thats a bad thing. Indian makes a superior performing product with the possible exception of paint (I think H-D has great paint work).
  • H-D guy: It's still just a Polaris
I could almost script these conversations but I really don't understand why they end up going this way. Are some H-D people so insecure that they simply cannot accept any product that wasn't put out by the H-D mothership? And why is holding on to outdated tech (air cooled push rod v-twin) somehow viewed as more American than modern tech? I own a Challenger but I've got no problem with Harley, I've owned a few. That said, the differences in specs can't really be refuted (unless apparently, you drink the kool-aid ;))
I saying I have heard fits well here...
"You can't fix STUPID!"

·
Rider
1,160 Posts
Some Guys riding Harleys are really cool.
Others are not and cant see Technology if it bit them in the ass.
They are truly hateful of you if you dont ride what they ride.
I never understood this type of person.
To me someone riding a motorcyle is enjoying the ride just like me regardless what they ride.
Maybe they are just pissed off that your ride is way better then what they ride.

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
I still don't understand why it's always a copycat blame game with HD/Indian (mostly coming from them from what I see)..when 99.9% of Japanese Super Sports look exactly the same. If the brand wasn't placed on the bike, how many could tell the difference.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still don't understand why it's always a copycat blame game with HD/Indian (mostly coming from them from what I see)..when 99.9% of Japanese Super Sports look exactly the same. If the brand wasn't placed on the bike, how many could tell the difference.
I also dont think it's fair to call the Challenger a copy when the technological and performance gap is so wide. If the basis of the argument is only the fact the it's a fixed fairing, that's ignorant.

·
Rider
550 Posts
I have been riding Harleys for 28 years. Have two in the garage and hope to have more. There is an Indian in there also. I am firmly in the Camp that competition is good and we are the winners. I have been doing this for almost 5 decades and its never been a better time to be a BIKER!

·
Rider
848 Posts
The height of irony is a Harley rider throwing shade on an Indian by saying it's just a Polaris. Better yet was the ad campaign saying " So you waited all your life to buy a Polaris."

In 1969 AMF bought Harley Davidson to keep it from being liquidated in bankruptcy. They owned it until June 16, 1981 when 13 HD executives bought it back. Imagine," you waited all your life to own a bike built by a bowling alley pin setter manufacturer."

·
Bronze member
4,127 Posts
The height of irony is a Harley rider throwing shade on an Indian by saying it's just a Polaris. Better yet was the ad campaign saying " So you waited all your life to buy a Polaris."

In 1969 AMF bought Harley Davidson to keep it from being liquidated in bankruptcy. They owned it until June 16, 1981 when 13 HD executives bought it back. Imagine," you waited all your life to own a bike built by a bowling alley pin setter manufacturer."

That ad you refer too wasn't done by Harley, It was done by Matt Laidlaw as he is a Harley Dealer and was infuriated by the release of the Challenger.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I get the same kind of conversations from both sides. My H-D riding buddies don't get after me much about my 2015 Roadmaster because it has proven itself to be an exceptional motorcycle in both out of the box performance and reliability with over 63,000 trouble free miles on the clock. They see it and they recognize it but you'll always run into those that just don't get it and they don't want to get it. I ignore it as I have better things to do, like ride.
Then I have those that want to question my sanity on why I would ever own a bike like my 2004 Sportster 1200R. I get all the comments from chic's bike to my Scout will smoke it and so on. To be honest I don't care. It is a fun, reliable bike that is as capable as I want or need for that size. I've run a couple 1300 mile plus long weekends on it with no issue and it is simple to work on.
Both of my bikes serve their purpose well and I enjoy them. I don't bother getting into discussions about my choices anymore. My attitude is "whatever". I have them, I enjoy them and I ride them as much as I can. I could care less what others think, unless of course they are willing to buy me the bike of their choice :)

·
Founding Member / Distinguished
4,416 Posts
I get the same kind of conversations from both sides. My H-D riding buddies don't get after me much about my 2015 Roadmaster because it has proven itself to be an exceptional motorcycle in both out of the box performance and reliability with over 63,000 trouble free miles on the clock. They see it and they recognize it but you'll always run into those that just don't get it and they don't want to get it. I ignore it as I have better things to do, like ride.
Then I have those that want to question my sanity on why I would ever own a bike like my 2004 Sportster 1200R. I get all the comments from chic's bike to my Scout will smoke it and so on. To be honest I don't care. It is a fun, reliable bike that is as capable as I want or need for that size. I've run a couple 1300 mile plus long weekends on it with no issue and it is simple to work on.
Both of my bikes serve their purpose well and I enjoy them. I don't bother getting into discussions about my choices anymore. My attitude is "whatever". I have them, I enjoy them and I ride them as much as I can. I could care less what others think, unless of course they are willing to buy me the bike of their choice :)
Well said ! Tired of all the pissing contest ! Just ride !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,788 Posts
That ad you refer too wasn't done by Harley, It was done by Matt Laidlaw as he is a Harley Dealer and was infuriated by the release of the Challenger.
I'm surprised HD Corp. has not addressed Laidlaw & silenced him.The amount of criticism he gets even from HD owners of how he attacks Indian is pretty telling that the guy is just low class.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts