Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hadn't intended too but I ended up riding about 15 miles on mud gravel roads through the Talladega National Forest yesterday.
I planned to go there and drive through the mountain area and maybe take a few photos and have a snack on the top of a peak, but nope my GPS took me to the entrance of a dirt trail road that led through miles of nothing but private hunting road that were gated shut. I was in the National Forest but I expected real roads.
Passed by a few lifted Tacomas and a guy on an ATV.
Talked to some people for directions and they were astonished to see an Indian on the trails.
It was weird feeling the bike slide through the gravel and if I hit a mucky mud spot it would skid one way and then the bike would twist back straight.
Had a picnic in the road and let the engine cool down. I was only going about 20mph most of the time.
In the end I am much more confident in my ability and in my tires. There were a few times where a hill looked too steep and slick to go up. I was afraid if I needed to turn around I wouldn't be able to make it up the hills I had gone down to get in the forest. It was fun probably don't want to do it again, but I would love to buy a dirt bike or an adventure style bike for camping.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sportsters have always made good cow trailers, a Scout should be in the same ballpark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The fat front tire really helps out on this type of ride. there were some muddy area, but I was able to go around it. The dirt neighboring the mud was still very loose. Makes me wish Indian really made a modern hill climb Scout, small engine, very little in the aesthetics department, big headlight. And most importantly large tank for extra range so you don't get stranded without gas.

That was my biggest fear. I had already driven 60 miles before I got to the forest entrance because I was having trouble even finding the trail.
Getting stranded out there with barely any reception would suck. I wasn't even on a road recognized on a gps so there would be no way a normal tow truck could help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts