Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my Indian dealership on Monday to finish some business with my salesman and while there, I stopped to set on the Chief Classic and the Chieftain. I find myself doing that every time I stop at the Murfreesboro dealership. While my salesman was busy handling another matter for me, another salesman stepped up to see what I thought of the bikes. I told him my wife and I had ordered Scouts, but I really like the some of the features of both "big" Indians, but really didn't like wire wheels and tubed whitewalls on the Classic. However, I liked the reduced rake, aluminum wheels and tubeless blackwalls on the Chieftain and don't need/want the fairing, radio and complexity. I told him the perfect configuration would resemble a Road King...The Chieftain chassis, Vintage windshield, engine guard, and hard cases. He surprised me when he said that others have asked for the same thing. So, I wonder if others here would find that an Indian designed to compete with the Road King is how Indian should expand the line?

I hope Indian reads this forum and considers offering this type of bike.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I stopped by my Indian dealership on Monday to finish some business with my salesman and while there, I stopped to set on the Chief Classic and the Chieftain. I find myself doing that every time I stop at the Murfreesboro dealership. While my salesman was busy handling another matter for me, another salesman stepped up to see what I thought of the bikes. I told him my wife and I had ordered Scouts, but I really like the some of the features of both "big" Indians, but really didn't like wire wheels and tubed whitewalls on the Classic. However, I liked the reduced rake, aluminum wheels and tubeless blackwalls on the Chieftain and don't need/want the fairing, radio and complexity. I told him the perfect configuration would resemble a Road King...The Chieftain chassis, Vintage windshield, engine guard, and hard cases. He surprised me when he said that others have asked for the same thing. So, I wonder if others here would find that an Indian designed to compete with the Road King is how Indian should expand the line?

I hope Indian reads this forum and considers offering this type of bike.
Last October when I ordered my 2014 Vintage, part of the deal was installing the Chieftain cast wheels on my Vintage. It cost me an extra $500 for the Chieftain cast wheels including installation. The bearings, spacers, rotors, etc are the same for both wire spoked and cast wheels. The Vintage white wall tires also fit the Chieftain cast wheels.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last October when I ordered my 2014 Vintage, part of the deal was installing the Chieftain cast wheels on my Vintage. It cost me an extra $500 for the Chieftain cast wheels including installation. The bearings, spacers, rotors, etc are the same for both wire spoked and cast wheels. The Vintage white wall tires also fit the Chieftain cast wheels.
Did you keep the whitewalls? My salesman told me they sold a Classic with the Chieftain wheels and blackwalls. He didn't have any pic's, but thought the look was nice...especially with the leather bags, windshield and engine guard. I wasn't surprised hear the out-the-door price was higher than a Vintage.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did you keep the whitewalls? My salesman told me they sold a Classic with the Chieftain wheels and blackwalls. He didn't have any pic's, but thought the look was nice...especially with the leather bags, windshield and engine guard. I wasn't surprised hear the out-the-door price was higher than a Vintage.
Yes, the stock whitewalls that came on the Vintage,I have 12,000 miles on them now. Looks are really a non-issue on the Vintage. The bags hide the rear wheels and most of the front wheel is hidden by the Indian front fender and brake rotors.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,754 Posts
When I was looking (drooling) at a new Indian, I was hoping that I would be able to get the spoked wheels and whitewalls on a Chieftain. I really like the classic look.
After owning a Chieftain and washing it, I'm glad I didn't.
Due to the bags, fenders and brake discs, I really don't notice the wheels. Since I can only clean about a third of the tire at a time, I'm happy with blackwalls...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts