Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sad news indeed, great bike, only owned mine for 6 months.

Reactions: Ace22

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah I doubt that they'll pick it up honestly. They're cool and all but there's a reason why they never took off and it's a simple one. Too high of a price without recognition.

I mean who'd want to chance 30k on a bike from a small company they've never heard about? Not a whole lot of people is my bet.

·
Bronze member
4,751 Posts
Yep Polaris has zero reason to even think about this company let alone buy them They have their own engineering dept. Remember, they didn't buy Indian Motorcycle for the bikes that were made. They bought Indian motorcycle for the Brand. They designed their own bikes and put the Indian Brand name on them.

More people know about Victory than Motus.

·
310 Posts
You have to think inside the box for this one. What could they do with this motor. Not the bike but motor. 180 hp platform for many models. 180 hp for OFF ROAD VEHICLES. 25 million to develop new engine and this one has already been proven. IMHO.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I hope they skip this money-losing "opportunity." Someone invested (aka lost) tens of $ millions and has nothing to show for after ten years, should be a big clue for anyone else. Pick up the motor at the bankruptcy auction for pennies.

·
Bronze member
4,751 Posts
You have to think inside the box for this one. What could they do with this motor. Not the bike but motor. 180 hp platform for many models. 180 hp for OFF ROAD VEHICLES. 25 million to develop new engine and this one has already been proven. IMHO.

Motor (engine) is nothing special.

Yamaha has a V 4 called the V max that does 194 HP at the engine and 174 H.P at the rear wheel at the same displacement

·
2,081 Posts
Evening Folks,
I've seen some Motus bikes and they are beautiful machines with top shelf components. And they are US made if that means anything to you... but very expensive as you's expect from the high quality bits and low production... still, people pay $30,000+ for H-D baggers, so go figure... I doubt Indian will pick them up.
--- Randall

·
Super Moderator
4,969 Posts
I hope they skip this money-losing "opportunity." Someone invested (aka lost) tens of $ millions and has nothing to show for after ten years, should be a big clue for anyone else. Pick up the motor at the bankruptcy auction for pennies.
I agree with Meggie, pick up the engine at pennies on the dollar and save themselves R&D money if they haven't already invested in a V4.

Yes @Baron58 , both Yamaha and Honda carried the "World's Fastest Production Motorcycle" banner with their respective V4's (V65 Magna & VMax). If a Company wants to go in that direction, why not get this engine at pennies on the dollar?

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sorry to hear the news but I agree that they will probably be auctioned off in pieces...unless Keanu Reeves decides to burn a bunch more of his money.

·
Read Only
6,804 Posts
Let me get this straight. Polaris bought Indian after it died at least three times and killed Victory after it couldn’t turn a profit...and you say they shouldn’t take on Motus??? That would be right up their alley. Polaris has with Indian an excellent track record of raising from the dead. They could rename the Motus, Lazarus.

·
6,027 Posts
Let me get this straight. Polaris bought Indian after it died at least three times and killed Victory after it couldn’t turn a profit...and you say they shouldn’t take on Motus??? That would be right up their alley. Polaris has with Indian an excellent track record of raising from the dead. They could rename the Motus, Lazarus.
Thing is, Motus wasn't really alive to begin with. You throw $ millions at anything, you'll get some press and build some units and even sell a handful. But from an economic perspective, the business model hasn't shown that it's working and the brand is as obscure as it gets.

This industry, any industry is full of dreamers who thought their plans would rock the world. A few do, and some are absolutely spectacular (Apple, Google?). Most don't.

Polaris needs to continue focusing on one motorcycle brand until it reaches the inflection point and starts making some serious money. Then and only then, maybe, with established and secure dealer network they can buy KTM or Triumph.

·
Bronze member
4,751 Posts
Thing is, Motus wasn't really alive to begin with. You throw $ millions at anything, you'll get some press and build some units and even sell a handful. But from an economic perspective, the business model hasn't shown that it's working and the brand is as obscure as it gets.

This industry, any industry is full of dreamers who thought their plans would rock the world. A few do, and some are absolutely spectacular (Apple, Google?). Most don't.

Polaris needs to continue focusing on one motorcycle brand until it reaches the inflection point and starts making some serious money. Then and only then, maybe, with established and secure dealer network the can buy KTM or Triumph.

Yep pretty much sums it up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts