Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use Indian oil in my 111 RM per recommendations. Shifting sometimes feels a little ‘sticky.’ My Goldwing did that when it was getting near time for an oil change. BUT when I switched to Amzoil it totally affected the shifting as in much smoother.
But I haven’t tried it in the RM yet.
Does anyone have experience with Amzoil making a significant difference in shifting?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I recently switched to Amsoil 15W-60 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil. It is 100% compliant with Polaris Indian TS-111 oil specifications.

While I honestly did not expect any noticeable difference, I am now sensing that the typical lifter/rocker-arm noise may be a little quieter, starting cold my TS111 seems to turnover easier, and the clutch and shifting seem to operate smoother and easier. Honestly, it may all be in my head, or just a result of having put new oil in my Chieftain. Regardless, I am happy with the results, And for several technical reasons I feel much better about having a 15W-60 fully synthetic oil in my Chieftain, which to me makes it worth the extra cost.

Please be aware that there are almost as many very strong opposing opinions about which motorcycle oil is best as there are different motorcycle oils.

I personally prefer to use an oil that meets the manufacture's specification and one that has the thinnest cold viscosity and thickest hot viscosity available. Plus I believe that synthetic is better because it leaves more lubrication on the internal engine parts when the bike has been sitting unused and that reduces friction and wear.

Again, just another personal opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I switched last oil change, about 3000 miles ago. I notice easier turnover at start and a quieter engine. Some have noticed less heat and easier shifting, but I haven't really noticed a difference in either.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use Indian oil in my 111 RM per recommendations. Shifting sometimes feels a little ‘sticky.’ My Goldwing did that when it was getting near time for an oil change. BUT when I switched to Amzoil it totally affected the shifting as in much smoother.
But I haven’t tried it in the RM yet.
Does anyone have experience with Amzoil making a significant difference in shifting?
I use Amsoil on everything in my driveway

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,424 Posts
The dreaded oil thread. Lol! You will find that full synthetic oil will cause your transmission to shift smoother and the engine run a little quieter...
at least for me.
The choice is yours.
I agree. While I use Amsoil and am very happy with it any good full synthetic oil will make a noticeable difference in the shifting of the gears. I was never a fan of the semi synthetic. Why mix synthetic with regular oil?! If you are going to spend more money on a good oil make it a full synthetic. I know about the group 3 oils and all the yade da de da stuff. Just never saw the advantages of mixing the two. Save a little money and get only part of the advantages?! Not for me. Just do a full synthetic. I use Amsoil 20w40 and have had very good results with it. Less valvetrain noise and smoother shifting. To me it is worth the extra money. D

·
Bronze member
3,108 Posts
Early victory's had excessive shifting fork wear,changing to amsoil cured that.
I don't know why we didn't use mobil one v twin.i think it wasn't available at that time.
Anyway that was a long time ago,I think polaris must have up graded thier oil
Don't know as I don't use stock oil.
I won't use hd oil in my harley either,as it's ashland oil company oil,cheapest crap they could get.

·
Bronze member
1,441 Posts
Oil thread !!! I owned one of the First early Victory bikes. I changed my own oil & filters.Used their semi syn oil for a short time, then used Amsoil. Never had trans or clutch problems, but many Vic owners I knew that had their oil changed at the dealers did have problems. The dealers probably used the same petroleum in all the brand bikes they sold ( Victory was always sold along side Suzuki’s Kawasaki’s or Yamaha’s. I also used Amsoil in many of my Other bikes. Used Mobil 1 also when it came along. Now- I’m using the oil that comes in the kits from Indian in my bike because I was given 6 oil change kits ( long story). BUT if I did not Already have a good supply, I would use Amsoil ( or Mobil 1) if I could get it in the correct weight(s). Since I change The Indian/Polaris oil at 5k miles or less it seems ok. Might just use the Amsoil next change to see if There’s it’s any difference I could tell.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I recently switched to Amsoil 15W-60 Synthetic V-Twin Motorcycle Oil. It is 100% compliant with Polaris Indian TS-111 oil specifications.

While I honestly did not expect any noticeable difference, I am now sensing that the typical lifter/rocker-arm noise may be a little quieter, starting cold my TS111 seems to turnover easier, and the clutch and shifting seem to operate smoother and easier. Honestly, it may all be in my head, or just a result of having put new oil in my Chieftain. Regardless, I am happy with the results, And for several technical reasons I feel much better about having a 15W-60 fully synthetic oil in my Chieftain, which to me makes it worth the extra cost.

Please be aware that there are almost as many very strong opposing opinions about which motorcycle oil is best as there are different motorcycle oils.

I personally prefer to use an oil that meets the manufacture's specification and one that has the thinnest cold viscosity and thickest hot viscosity available. Plus I believe that synthetic is better because it leaves more lubrication on the internal engine parts when the bike has been sitting unused and that reduces friction and wear.

There are others similar but its my understanding that there is a scientific difference between Amzoil (and similar products) and the other synthetics. I assumed there are going to be a lot of opinions but maybe I can find someone who’s a little more educated in that area than me.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dreaded oil thread. Lol! You will find that full synthetic oil will cause your transmission to shift smoother and the engine run a little quieter...
at least for me.
The choice is yours.
Oh I expect this will inspire some opinions. But that’s alright. I’ll go with the majority. 😏

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I would expect it might help it to run a little bit cooler also.

·
Bronze member
2,223 Posts
oky doky ... ready for some fun!

Encouraged by some reading about our official oil and Rotella T4 and other heavy duty diesel oils on da net (including bobistheoilguy) I am going for the following experiment next oilchange:

If my clutch slips or if I notice any strange shifting behaviour I will drain it.

(yes ... with a cleanble reusable metal mesh filter as well)
Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Indian Scout Sixty
229 Posts
Mobil one was reformulated a few years ago for the price point.. not the same as their original.
I guess Amsoil is ok, but Red-Line is the best..
View attachment 593088
I used Red-Line in my Sportster when our HD dealership sold it. It was very good, but run Amsoil in my Heritage and found a huge difference including cooler.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts