Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed an amp on a 14 Chieftain? If so where did you mount it? Want to add an amp for the front speakers. I'm not going to be adding the saddlebag lid speakers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It looks like hard core audiophiles aren't answering up but I will say that I put in an aux fuse panel about the size of a pack of cigarettes and had a hard time finding a spot for it (though I did need 360 access for wires and wanted access through the headlight fascia so that crimped my few choices even further - shouldn't need all that for an amp). That said, the fairing is built like a soup bowl - big and round but skinny all over and the only accommodating bulges contain blinkers, passing lights, windshield struts, forks or speakers. The gauge panel and stock amp take up a lot of free space and what's left is filled with support struts and other obstructions. I have a Rockford Fosgate (300-2? Don't quite recall) in my Vic XC and eyeballed it through the headlight ring and all I can say is that it might fit high and to the right of the headlight as viewed from the front. Plenty tight if it does. Be advised I haven't had the fairing totally apart yet and there may be a hidey hole I am not aware of but looking around the headlight with the fascia removed you get a pretty good sense that there isn't a lot of free space for much of anything between the inner and outer fairings as they clam up together. You may have to go under a side cover or the seat or maybe even inside the rear frame member somewhere. Still plenty tight anywhere. I've noticed this bike doesn't have a whole lot of enclosed volume to play with. If no suggestions are forthcoming, get the dimensions from the mfr and saw a block of wood to same and try stuffing it in nooks and crannies. If you have a choice, it appears the thinner the better for the fairing or side covers. There has got to be a space available for the sufficiently clever and motivated audiophile. You'll figure it out.

As I recall, the rear speaker kit comes with an amp. Maybe you could find where it goes and put an aftermarket one there or use an Indian rear amp to boost the fronts instead of an aftermarket one if it looks like it will fit better. Perhaps one of the saddlebag lid speaker operators can tell us where they put the amp. I am curious myself. I would like to think that with a part no. you could order the amp a la carte. Lastly, there's always the saddlebags but packing stuff around a hot amp for a long trip might be a little dicey.

I put that amp in the Vic because it got up to a vol level of 10 or so like we'd see on the Indian and though the counter would keep scrolling up, the sound never got any louder. Not so on the Chieftain. It seems very willing to keep pushing hard past where I need it and is plenty loud to my going-deaf ears so it begs the question in my mind - why bother? I wouldn't, but then, I'm not you. It may come to pass that because the stock amp is at least minimally satisfactory to most of us, you may be the guy doing the first how-to. Don't forget to take pics and post because there are likely more folks like you or others who will now do it because you showed the way. Good luck.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I have had the chrome nose of the fairing off and there is not much room. I had cut a piece of wood as a reference, the amp I'm looking at is 3x6x1.5 inch. Under the seat will be where I look next and if that doesn't work I'll be satisfied with what I've got.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How'd you make out with this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Has anyone installed an amp on a 14 Chieftain? If so where did you mount it? Want to add an amp for the front speakers. I'm not going to be adding the saddlebag lid speakers.
I too would like to add an amp. Dont know what to buy or how hard it would be to put in. Any advice would be helpful

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Here are the steps
Go to local 7 eleven buy one Amp drink
Add one beer
try to install radio amp.
Call service technician.
Problem solved

·
Rider
510 Posts
Soooo, this is an old post, but did anyone come up with any answers or solutions? I have a '17, so it has the 100w, but I would like a little more. The Indian branded amps don't provide any more power than I already have. don't know if it's worth ponying up the near $500 for the Klockwerks setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts