Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new American Iron magazine and in their tech section they did a S&S AC install. This is the first time I've seen them do anything with an Indian and their comments about the bike were quite positive also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can find an ongoing report of mods being done to a chieftain in the Australian magazine "heavy duty". I think they've got a s&s a/c, de-baffled stage 1 pipes etc. they're getting dyno numbers with every mod too

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Read the write up in American Iron, great instruction on A/C install, but not much HP gain with A/C and power commander V + 5 hp and a loss of 1.3 ftlb of torque....
I would go for air cleaner and the Polaris card/download first...Seems a bit much for so little gain..

·
Super Moderator
4,885 Posts
Read the write up in American Iron, great instruction on A/C install, but not much HP gain with A/C and power commander V + 5 hp and a loss of 1.3 ftlb of torque....
I would go for air cleaner and the Polaris card/download first...Seems a bit much for so little gain..
In the Performance Forum there is info about increasing horsepower and torque, $1400 of upgrade/add-ons will get you 3 more horses and 3 more lbs. of torque.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been getting American Iron for years, they do cover Victory and now Indian some but the HD prescriptions are probably 95% so they know who their main customers are. The editor, Bob Kanter likes and has been seen at several Indian events riding them and has always had favorable comments about Indian.

I agree with chiefwannabe, for the cost of the AC ($430) and the Power Commander ($400) plus the time to install, I'm not ready to spend $1,000 for + 4.2hp and a loss of 1.3 lbs of torque even thou the torque curve extends some, per the Dyno.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I think what would be the best bang for the buck , would be cams and a power tuner... got 22hp and 21ftlbs of torque out of my H D for about $1200. that is a great gain for that amount

1 - 7 of 7 Posts