Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our American culture and history is built upon some very intersting facts.

This thread is dedicated to presenting many of these facts. Please feel free to post any interesting facts relating to our great culture and history.

Here are a few interesting tidbits to get started:

It would take you more than 400 years to spend a night in all of Las Vegas's hotel rooms.

8th January, 1836 is the last day in history that the USA had no national debt.

More people live in New York City than in 40 of 50 states.

In 1867, Russia sold Alaska to the United States for about 2 cents per acre.

The longest place name in the United States (45 letters) is Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg, a lake in Webster, Massachusetts. It means "Englishmen at Manchaug at the Fishing Place at the Boundary".

·
Rider
816 Posts
When I lived in Alaska and I assume it is still true, I learned that Alaska is the only place in North America that a person could walk in a straight line for 600 miles and never come upon a fence.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I lived in Alaska and I assume it is still true, I learned that Alaska is the only place in North America that a person could walk in a straight line for 600 miles and never come upon a fence.

I read somewhere that Alaska has more miles of coastline than the rest of the USA. Not sure of the accuracy on that statement, but it is a big state.

Bubba

·
Rider
816 Posts
I read somewhere that Alaska has more miles of coastline than the rest of the USA. Not sure of the accuracy on that statement, but it is a big state.

Bubba
If memory serves me, it does. Also, at one time they were considering dividing it into two separate states. That would have made Texas the 3rd largest state in the Union. :p

·
Bronze member
1,786 Posts
  • Lake of the Ozark fun facts -
• The lake runs 92 miles end to end.
• At roughly 1,150 miles, the total shoreline of the Lake of the Ozarks is longer than the coastline of California.
• The lake was the largest man-made lake in the United States, when it was completed in 1931 by the Union Electric Co. of St. Louis.
• At 17,741 acres, Lake of the Ozarks State Park is the largest park in Missouri.
• Lake of the Ozarks covers 61,000 acres and contains 617 billion gallons of fresh water, what the city of St. Louis typically uses over a decade.
• Roughly 3.5 million tourists visit Lake of the Ozarks from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

·
Rider
816 Posts
I remember hearing about Lake of the Ozarks when I was stationed at Ft. Leonard Wood. Now that I’m living in NW Arkansas, I will need to ride over and check it out.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It would take 8 hours a day, every day, for 66 years straight, to see every exhibit of the Smithsonian Museum complex in Washington DC.

·
Rider
816 Posts
It would take 8 hours a day, every day, for 66 years straight, to see every exhibit of the Smithsonian Museum complex in Washington DC.
By the time you finished, you could start over and see all new shit!

·
Bronze member
1,554 Posts
How odd... Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg is also the sound my friend's Harley makes when he tries to start it...

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
32% of all land in the US is owned by the federal government, as they own about 650 million acres.

The Federal Government actually owns 84.5% of Nevada, 69.1% of Alaska and 57.4% of Utah. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the lowest-percentage states are mainly in the East, including the Federal Government only owning 0.4% of Connecticut, 0.4% of Rhode Island and 0.8% of Iowa.
R
This land is called “public land” and the majority is used as national and state parks, other parts are used for grazing by cattle or sheep.

See this map on Federal land as a Percentage of Total State Land Area

0297CA40-865A-4A5C-BEDB-06FC1DBF4E55.png

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There are more barrels of bourbon than people in Kentucky. There are approximately 6.7 million barrels of bourbon in the state compared to a population of around 4.4 million people.

·
Bronze member
2,533 Posts
32% of all land in the US is owned by the federal government, as they own about 650 million acres.

The Federal Government actually owns 84.5% of Nevada, 69.1% of Alaska and 57.4% of Utah. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the lowest-percentage states are mainly in the East, including the Federal Government only owning 0.4% of Connecticut, 0.4% of Rhode Island and 0.8% of Iowa.
R
This land is called “public land” and the majority is used as national and state parks, other parts are used for grazing by cattle or sheep.

See this map on Federal land as a Percentage of Total State Land Area

View attachment 487336
and yet they want more

·
Rider
573 Posts
Socorro New Mexico was not ceded to Mexico by Spain and thus is not part of the United States (some guy argued this on his DUI and come to find out its true). We call it the Free State of Socorro.

·
Rider
598 Posts
Lake Superior = 10% of worlds freshwater. Could flood North and South America with 1 foot of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
598 Posts
Largest mass execution in US history occurred Dec 26, 1862 in Mankato, MN when 38 Dakota were hanged after the Dakota Wars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 203 Posts