Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the spirit of Memorial Day...Indian is an American brand of motorcycles originally produced from 1901 to 1953 in Springfield, Massachusetts, United States. During the 1910s, Indian became the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the world. Indian's most popular models were the Scout, made from 1920 to 1946, and the Chief, made from 1922 until 1953. As the US entered World War I, Indian sold most of its Powerplus line in 1917 and 1918 to the United States government. Chiefs, Scouts, and Junior Scouts were all used in small numbers for various purposes and to help us win the war. Indian helped us also win World War II. Here's to our servicemen who remember the Indian and rode them to victory.
46Clubman.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts
In the spirit of Memorial Day...Indian is an American brand of motorcycles originally produced from 1901 to 1953 in Springfield, Massachusetts, United States. During the 1910s, Indian became the largest manufacturer of motorcycles in the world. Indian's most popular models were the Scout, made from 1920 to 1946, and the Chief, made from 1922 until 1953. As the US entered World War I, Indian sold most of its Powerplus line in 1917 and 1918 to the United States government. Chiefs, Scouts, and Junior Scouts were all used in small numbers for various purposes and to help us win the war. Indian helped us also win World War II. Here's to our servicemen who remember the Indian and rode them to victory. View attachment 45869
Hey 46, I'm with you on this Bro. RED IRON

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
This is the WW2 model with the low gravity center horizontally opposed cylinders and driveshaft. This was the overseas model for both theaters, especially Europe. And these bring all the money at an auction. The other twins were there too but mainly fort/garrison duty.

Attachments

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
Having horizontally aposed bikes for years I can actually strip those nils in the pictures and re-build or assemble any of them. Thanks for the memories/the European models that is. Very very nice.

·
Registered
923 Posts
At the Wheels thru Time museum he has one of the horizontally opposed cylinder war bikes in excellent shape - awesome

If you haven't gone, go

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Those belonged to the US govt .................Uncle Sam..................and nobody keeps 'their' vehicle overseas. Only recently did the US military start letting dogs come home with their handlers. Which is nice as the Viet Nam military dogs suddenly got 'virus's' over there ................that was the story...........and the military would not ship them back. Just euthanize them or worse yet ..................hand over to the South Vietnamese Army. A fate much worse than a vets last injection. We will not go into that today.

These bikes were actually left overseas for the most part. Lots in France and the UK and hence the reason their parts are more prevalent there than here. In terms of original bikes. But keep in mind also that during the post war times in any area, especially Europe, food and cash were short and I suspect many of these Indians met there demise as scrap metal to feed someone. Its all natural I guess. Or used as private vehicles as most likely the family Peugeot or whatever was destroyed or just abandoned when the wehrmacht came marching up the road. You can read up on it. Many were just left . Same thing with a lot of Humvee's left in Iraq.....................same ones ISIS big shots use to kidnap girls and women in.

Look what the damn Russians did. Or the damn Germans ..............depending. In the late 30's, Hitler and his people thought about exporting military equipment. They wanted to export the BMW military bike with sidecar to the Russians..............so depending on what you read or study..............the Russians got between 6 and 10 of them to use or demo just to see if they wanted them. This was before Germany and Russia became bitter rivals. The Russians hesitated and maybe due to economic reasons..................and then Hitler invaded the Soviet Union ala Operation Barbarosa and no deal ever occurred. After the war the Russians had a few of these bikes left and simply copied them to the hilt. Even today the Ural is basically a 1939 BMW boxer engine.

I wish the French or some Brit could circumvent copyright rules and start making a WW2 Indian or a Harley with the low gravity opposed cylinder engine. They remind me of the hit - n - miss water pumps used when I was a kid. Just nothing crazy to report or speed records set but damn sure always ran and did the job.
Remember that a second class ride is better than a first class walk.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
a few ladies had them in the war too..... (don't forget them.....) 715e8e96727f41cf22b3ff03fa7ab20c.jpg

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
At the Wheels thru Time museum he has one of the horizontally opposed cylinder war bikes in excellent shape - awesome
Who made the first horizontally opposed cylinder bike BMW or Indian?

·
Gold member
6,449 Posts
I'd like to see a MAZDA ENGINE on a bike, nice technology. I'm sure someone has played that card! Too lazy to look right now! A pilot friend (Black Water) of mine has a real neat looking bike from Jesse James, old airplane motors technology 75000.. 14000 paint work! Sweet ride I'll try and find it. It was Jesses 2nd one he made. Great price!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts