Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Rider
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has anyone sent their pipe to American Customs yet to have the cat removed? Certainly would be a nice option until we get some full headers and such available. I REALLY hope someone makes a 2-1 for this thing. I will just leave a dummy muffler on the other side just to even the look out :giggle:

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
From what I've been told, Reinhart is coming out with a "custom" header pipe set up for the Challengers. No idea about a release date. I also heard that the "suitcase" underneath the Challenger is both a catalyst AND resonator. I have to believe that PI did a lot of engineering on this unit to create the optimum blend of performance, weight, sound and keeping "big Brother" happy. I'm not doing anything with that section of my exhaust until it can be PROVEN that performance and sound will not suffer. The good thing here....at least with this model year is that the sensors are BEFORE this unit, which means anything you do from that point back should not be "linked" to the ECU. Once these manufacturers install sensors AFTER the cat/resonator, like in our current, modern day road vehicles, you're going to need some sophisticated tuning to eliminate any CE lights. Just my thoughts for what they are worth!!!!

·
Rider
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true Hye. I will be doing something merely for the extra sound. A friend of mine had the VP, 558, and pipes done on his, and had it tuned by KMC, and his numbers were right up there with the higher ones I've seen with a 111. He never had the cat removed, so it clearly wasn't impacting the performance as much as some may think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rush is working on a 2:1:2 ceramic coated system that can also be used as a 2:1, similar to their Harley headers. Still in R&D stage so it'll be awhile before we know for sure or get any release date.

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
I‘d wait on cutting the cat from a Challenger - it’s such a different configuration than what we’ve seen before. I’d want to know if removing a Challenger cat impacts performance before pulling the trigger.

·
Bronze member
1,501 Posts
I spoke to the top "cat" (no pun intended!) at TAB Performance yesterday after ordering a set of their performance mufflers for my Chally and he said they are working on a DELETE pipe for the current suitcase under our frames and just fore of the rear wheel. He said they are about 3 months out from production/retails sales and that it will really ONLY assist in heat reduction and making a little more "noise" from the mufflers. He further stated that the PP108 engine is only a foundation for some really wild and interesting future performance mods....but that won't happen until someone in the aftermarket can "crack" the ECU and generate some tunes. Again, just the messenger here.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I spoke to the top "cat" (no pun intended!) at TAB Performance yesterday after ordering a set of their performance mufflers for my Chally and he said they are working on a DELETE pipe for the current suitcase under our frames and just fore of the rear wheel. He said they are about 3 months out from production/retails sales and that it will really ONLY assist in heat reduction and making a little more "noise" from the mufflers. He further stated that the PP108 engine is only a foundation for some really wild and interesting future performance mods....but that won't happen until someone in the aftermarket can "crack" the ECU and generate some tunes. Again, just the messenger here.
I talk with Casey at TAB almost once a week. While the idea of a DELETE pipe sounds promising I would not do it until as you mentioned, "aftermarket can 'crack' the ECU and generate some tunes." Thank you for the heads up. Now I gotta call Casey, lol.

·
Rider
844 Posts
Help me with this , is deleting the cat some kind of fetish ? The bike goes like hell and there isn't a heat issue so why
the fascination with removing something that really doesn't benefit performance , sound or rider comfort ?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
Help me with this , is deleting the cat some kind of fetish ? The bike goes like hell and there isn't a heat issue so why
the fascination with removing something that really doesn't benefit performance , sound or rider comfort ?
It's probably the American attitude about "the government can't tell me what to do"

·
Registered
284 Posts
So has anyone sent their pipe to American Customs yet to have the cat removed? Certainly would be a nice option until we get some full headers and such available. I REALLY hope someone makes a 2-1 for this thing. I will just leave a dummy muffler on the other side just to even the look out :giggle:
Yes I did about 2 years ago
easy process

·
Bronze member
2,632 Posts
We don’t really know if the Challenger cat is going to have heat issues because we haven’t seen these bike ridden during the summer in the Deep South, desert Southwest, etc. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I have noticed the heat coming off the Cat in 80 degree weather.

Reactions: TigerGA

·
Rider
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I do it for the sound. It gives it a little more punch and a little extra volume. That is, until FAB 28 has a 2-1 setup for the Challenger

·
Rider
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be interested in a 2 into 1 pipe as long as it wasn't more money than the bike itself.
I am going to assume a FAB 28 will be around $1200-$1400 like most of their setups for the Harleys. Not cheap, but neither was my Freedom true dual setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts