Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I searched for American Custom many threads pop up, but not one just on products and services from them. So I thought I would start this thread.

I have agonized for a couple weeks of what I wanted to do to upgrade my Darkhorse Chieftain.
I looked at the TAB Zombie pipes, but I thought they might be a bit too loud for what I want.

So I spent the last two nights taking my bike apart. the slip-ons were easy. The cross over pipe took a bit to get off, and the rear header was a *****, until I took off the front header pipes, then it slipped off.

I have just sent all three items to American Customs. I'm getting the cat gutted and the pipes refitted. I'm looking for a bit more louder sound, and from what I have read from others after searching many posts here, I'm sure I'll be happy.

I know I could have gutted it myself, but I am not that mechanically inclined, in fact I now have to go find a socket piece that I dropped in front of the oil cooler. I saw it drop there while removing the front header. I just can't see it anymore.

I have a week or so to dig it out waiting for my retro fitting from American Customs.

My next upgrade will most likely be the PCVX from Fuel Moto.

My hope now is that I can get it all back together without any big mistakes.

· Registered
229 Posts
When I searched for American Custom many threads pop up, but not one just on products and services from them. So I thought I would start this thread.

I have agonized for a couple weeks of what I wanted to do to upgrade my Darkhorse Chieftain.
I looked at the TAB Zombie pipes, but I thought they might be a bit too loud for what I want.

So I spent the last two nights taking my bike apart. the slip-ons were easy. The cross over pipe took a bit to get off, and the rear header was a *****, until I took off the front header pipes, then it slipped off.

I have just sent all three items to American Customs. I'm getting the cat gutted and the pipes refitted. I'm looking for a bit more louder sound, and from what I have read from others after searching many posts here, I'm sure I'll be happy.

I know I could have gutted it myself, but I am not that mechanically inclined, in fact I now have to go find a socket piece that I dropped in front of the oil cooler. I saw it drop there while removing the front header. I just can't see it anymore.

I have a week or so to dig it out waiting for my retro fitting from American Customs.

My next upgrade will most likely be the PCVX from Fuel Moto.

My hope now is that I can get it all back together without any big mistakes.
I have a sound clip I can e=mail you if you want to hear it. I cannot load on this forum for some reason. [email protected]

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got my pipes back and cat gutted from American Customs, very fast turn around. They did a real nice job.
I struggled getting it back together. In fact I did get it all back like new after a couple hot Texas hours, but not correctly.
I noticed the right side heat shield was not covering up my pipes like before, and my right hard bag did not want to skip on easily.
I did not have the cat on right, and no time to fix it at that time as we were leaving on a weekend camping trip..
Got back today and took most everything back off. I left the front and rear headers on but loosened the screws a little so they would slip out a bit and give some.
I had to take a rubber mallet and bang the cat up into the header some to match up everything.
Finally got everything matched up and tighten.
Just took it for a ride.
Hard to tell about any heat savings since it was 103 on the bike. I had a Capt Itch on it before the cat gut, but will leave it off for now to see how the heat is.
I do like the sound of the pipes, louder but no obnoxious.
I am now an expert at removing and installing these since I had to do it twice. It looked like it would be hard, but really was not too bad.

· Registered
46 Posts
I got the American customs on mine as well. I also had it ceramic coated from Jet Hot. Definitely much cooler than before when sitting idle. Hard to tell when cruising down the road of course especially in this texas heat. One unexpected thing I noticed was a notable increase in MPG. I just got done with a ~40 mile ride just to enjoy the break from the weather, and the bike was showing 46.8 MPG. Of course this was at a near constant 45-60 MPH, so it's hard to say what it'll be in a real world scenario, but based on that, I'm expecting about 2-3MPG increase from before.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.