Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
American custom exhaust removed the cat from my header and re-baffled my mufflers. I am very pleased with their work. The diverter plate they installed in the header has evened the flow of exhaust between the mufflers and the exhaust system is much more free-flowing and responsive. The overall sound is a bit louder in volume. The thunderstroke exhaust has always seemed to have a metallic tone to my ear, even the stock set up.
So recently I installed the big city thunder quiet baffles hoping they might remove some of the metallic or tinny sound at idle. I feel like they have accomplished that while at the same time slightly lowering the loudness of the system. So while I am pleased with this, the biggest improvement is the low end torque that I have gained. I assume the baffles have added the perfect amount of back pressure to the exhaust system and I can feel the seat of the pants difference. So there you have my review of adding the big city thunder quiet baffles to the American custom exhaust system and I’m giving it a big thumbs up and a huge smile.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,072 Posts
I second your thoughts on the big city thunder baffles. Put them in my Vance and Hines turndowns. Love em! And easily removable in case I wasn't to be obnoxiously loud

·
Registered
382 Posts
@Mack Were they specially made for V&H or did you do some modifications? I've used Big City in the past, and always had great results.

·
3,072 Posts
@Mack Were they specially made for V&H or did you do some modifications? I've used Big City in the past, and always had great results.
I went off of the diameter. I got the quiet thunder monster baffles. They have a few sizes available, so they're almost universal. Measure, order and install. They just slide in the end and secure with a single 4MM allen bolt. No drilling needed, I just flipped the bolt to screw from the inside out.

I'm a fan of the performance gains with aftermarket exhausts, but not of the extra sound they make.

I have a set in my Vance and Hines on the roadmaster, and I put one in the borla exhaust mid-pipe on my Chevrolet Cruze. They work beautifully in both applications to give a good, slightly muted deeper tone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I agree. I used those when I had my Yamaha Raider.
Raider is a great bike. I had one of the orange SCL's with all the flake. Loved it. put 30,000 miles on it.. Shame Yamaha threw in the towel on the cruiser market.

·
Rider
719 Posts
American custom exhaust removed the cat from my header and re-baffled my mufflers. I am very pleased with their work. The diverter plate they installed in the header has evened the flow of exhaust between the mufflers and the exhaust system is much more free-flowing and responsive. The overall sound is a bit louder in volume. The thunderstroke exhaust has always seemed to have a metallic tone to my ear, even the stock set up.
So recently I installed the big city thunder quiet baffles hoping they might remove some of the metallic or tinny sound at idle. I feel like they have accomplished that while at the same time slightly lowering the loudness of the system. So while I am pleased with this, the biggest improvement is the low end torque that I have gained. I assume the baffles have added the perfect amount of back pressure to the exhaust system and I can feel the seat of the pants difference. So there you have my review of adding the big city thunder quiet baffles to the American custom exhaust system and I’m giving it a big thumbs up and a huge smile.
Where in the exhaust did you add the baffles? If you put them in the end of mufflers, how did you do this on the OEM mufflers without endcaps?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I second your thoughts on the big city thunder baffles. Put them in my Vance and Hines turndowns. Love em! And easily removable in case I wasn't to be obnoxiously loud
Any chance you could post a picture with them installed? I’ve wanted to make my Vance & Hines turndowns a little quieter also. Looking inside from the tip it looks like the screw going from the inside of the baffle would act like a set screw against the flange where the baffle screws to the tip.

·
Bronze member
2,018 Posts
I have the original defatted header on my Roadmaster. I installed the American Customs header on my wife’s old Springfield. Side my side with the same V&H slip-ons the AC pipe sounds better.
I should have swapped them before trading in the Springfield.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Where in the exhaust did you add the baffles? If you put them in the end of mufflers, how did you do this on the OEM mufflers without endcaps?
American custom exhaust re-baffled my OEM mufflers for $199. I installed the 2 1/8 inch quiet baffles 6 inches from the end of the mufflers, the picture shows where I drilled a hole on the underside of the mufflers 6 inches from the end to install the baffles
26E0EFB4-07A5-46F0-8839-07DC17791933.jpeg

·
3,072 Posts
Any chance you could post a picture with them installed? I’ve wanted to make my Vance & Hines turndowns a little quieter also. Looking inside from the tip it looks like the screw going from the inside of the baffle would act like a set screw against the flange where the baffle screws to the tip.
First pic is the pipe. Second is the baffle installed. Glad you asked for photos. Didn't intend to get a before and after shot, but apparently I've lost one of the baffles recently

·
Registered
127 Posts
First pic is the pipe. Second is the baffle installed. Glad you asked for photos. Didn't intend to get a before and after shot, but apparently I've lost one of the baffles recently
Thanks for the photos, I appreciate you taking the time to post them. They’re installed like I had imagined. Too bad you lost one, they’re not cheap.

Reactions: Mack

·
Bronze member
1,621 Posts
I thought the BCT baffles have to be at the inlet of the muffler?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
3,072 Posts
I thought the BCT baffles have to be at the inlet of the muffler?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
I don't think it makes a difference. They didn't come with instructions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts