Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ambient temperature reading seems to be reading high by about 8 degrees. Anyone else have this issue?

Rider
Yep 馃憤 exactly the same for me as well

Read Only
I'm wondering if the temp sensor is sitting too close to the motor. I was running in Pigeon Forge stop-and-go traffic last Summer and ambient temp was around 94-95. The temp showing on the bike was around 102 to 105. So, to answer your question, yes. Mine is reading warmer than actual on a daily basis, too.

Bronze member
mine seems to be close... but if it's sitting out in the sun all day it takes about 10 miles of riding to get back to close to normal..

Bronze member
Especially in the summer, sitting/riding on pavement always shows a higher temp due to the heat radiating from the road surface. Not uncommon for the bike鈥榮 temp gauge to show a higher temp when a weather app shows less. Ever notice when riding at night...the temp drops when leaving the city heading to the country...no roads, buildings, etc. to give off heat.

Registered
I'm pretty sure that the thermometer is in the fairing, as well, which can effect the readout.

Reactions: high plains rider

Registered
I don't use mine, just use the, "do I need a coat or not" formula.

Reactions: 2Cool

Read Only
Tiger, I don't disagree with your explanation. However, on the last few HD's that showed ambient temps, the ambient temp showing on the bike was within a degree or so of actual ambient. It's possible to receive an actual, accurate reading on a motorcycle no matter the external contributors. Yes, you get a higher reading in the city vs the country but that's normal no matter what you drive/ride.

Temperature accuracy isn't that important anyway...if you are set on riding, would outside temp stop you?... but it would be nice if it weren't off that much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts