Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Chieftain Limited. Love it but the AM radio reception is very poor in town. Lots of engine static. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I don't know if this applies to you, but I discovered that I, myself, am the problem with my radio reception. Before discovering this, I went through three different types and lengths of antenna, went back to the factory antenna,cleaned and lubed the antenna wire connector, and even had my head unit replaced under warranty. I could not figure out what the problem was for the longest time, even though the dealership owner saw it firsthand at a BBQ they were throwing. (I pulled my bike up next to the display bike that they were using for music, set to the same radio station, and called him and the service manager over to demonstrate, as they could never duplicate the issue.) It frustrated me to no end, that a $30K bike got such bad radio reception...it's not like radio is new technology.

Then, one day, I was wrenching on something on the bike, (I think it was when I installed my Admore light bar), and I powered on the bike to check functionality. The stereo was playing loud and clear, as it usually did while sitting in the driveway. As I was walking up to the front of the bike, I happened to rest my hand on the trunk rack...and the radio reception immediately became static-filled. Intrigued, I removed my hand, and the reception became clear. I then placed my hand on the throttle grip, and the static came back. Removed my hand, and the reception cleared up. I sat on the seat, and the static came back.

Now, I have always had problems when tuning clock radios. I would have to turn the dial, then step back to see if the radio was tuned properly. My theory is that we all generate a small electrical field. Some of us have a field that is strong enough to effect electronic devices. My ex father in law, for example, could not wear a digital watch for more than a week before it would die. He could only wear old-school wind-up watches.

Just thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Not sure but wasn't sure if anybody in world ever listens to am. last time i did was back in 60's. But i would suspect that noise is from a lack of reception as am band waves are weaker than FM along with where there tower is located compared to where you at.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Ugh......being an Amateur radio operator, I can tell you AM is always noisier than FM.....and again...who in the world listens to AM any more?......I live not far from WLW who can broadcast over a good bit of the nation, but I don't tune them in.......lol

·
Bronze member
3,049 Posts
Ugh......being an Amateur radio operator, I can tell you AM is always noisier than FM.....and again...who in the world listens to AM any more?......I live not far from WLW who can broadcast over a good bit of the nation, but I don't tune them in.......lol
I listen to sports on am... and at night in my country that at times are the only stations you can get... when you live 600 miles from Chicago and pick up their flame thrower, or our own flame thrower of 50,000 watts with a W in it's call sign although it's way west of the Mississippi river (that my friend is an old radio station)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had much luck with AM or FM. Still running the factory antenna.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts