Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after working so much, im finally able to take a drive, yes a drive, to the nearest Indian dealership I was near to see the new challenger. I must say after all the hype about this bike I didnt find it appealing at all! Now I didnt get a chance to ride it because after I sat on it and started it up I wasnt feeling it. But the best thing about this bike it the front fairing. But I do NOT like that the paint doesnt surround the display/gauges. The tank just seems big and bulky to me. My biggest gripe about the bike is the fact that the guy said no matter what exaust system you put on it, it wont sound like my chieftain. A BIG let down because I love the rumble mine has and so far im like the only indian guy in my group, let alone city. Now the paint is great. I love the color, i love how the engine looks. Now maybe 2021 when they change the look of it I will trade mine in but right now, I dont see a need to. But thats just me and I was wondering am I alone because Ive seen nothing but great reviews of how people love the bike...

·
Rider
951 Posts
So after working so much, im finally able to take a drive, yes a drive, to the nearest Indian dealership I was near to see the new challenger. I must say after all the hype about this bike I didnt find it appealing at all! Now I didnt get a chance to ride it because after I sat on it and started it up I wasnt feeling it. But the best thing about this bike it the front fairing. But I do NOT like that the paint doesnt surround the display/gauges. The tank just seems big and bulky to me. My biggest gripe about the bike is the fact that the guy said no matter what exaust system you put on it, it wont sound like my chieftain. A BIG let down because I love the rumble mine has and so far im like the only indian guy in my group, let alone city. Now the paint is great. I love the color, i love how the engine looks. Now maybe 2021 when they change the look of it I will trade mine in but right now, I dont see a need to. But thats just me and I was wondering am I alone because Ive seen nothing but great reviews of how people love the bike...
So you didn't actually ride it?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Senior member / rider
1,037 Posts
I’m sure there are many that don’t/won’t like the Challenger. That’s why there are so many different types and styles of motorcycles. No big deal, there’s no one motorcycle that is for everyone.
For me, the sound is way down on the list of reasons to like or dislike a bike. I like the Challenger overall. It rides great and has great power. But it’s too heavy for me, I don’t want a big fairing, the floorboards are a bit high for my achy hips. Nice machine, but not for me either.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Funny, the only reason I don't want or need any of the NEW Indians is the ride command. I like the simplicity of my 2016 Chieftain DH. But as said, to each there own, ride whatever you want. I don't judge

·
Registered
335 Posts
Besides the things you didn't like, there were some things you liked and loved about the bike. If you get a chance take one for a test ride. They are an absolute blast to ride.

Phil

·
Bronze member
2,814 Posts
Since I have not physically shaken hands with the new Challenger,never mind driven one,I can not say whether I would like it or not.But I have watched the road test videos on it and must say that I am impressed with what I've seen and read about it! But I will also say this: If ya keep things simple [like me,lol] then ya won't get into trouble.And what I'm referring too are all the bells and whistles it has,like the RM.My SDH is very simple and easy to work on cause I don't have a bunch of stuff in the way which needs to be removed every time I need to do maintenance and or repair work on it.Plus,with all the bells and whistles the Challenger has,like the RM,etc.models,that's just more things that can break and or have to be removed to get at something else.
I owned three Ventures,all bought brandy new,and all loaded with all these bells and whistles,plus full fairings, just like the RM and Challenger have,and everytime I had to repair or do maintenance on em,many of these bells and whistles had to be removed so I could get at what needed fixing or even just maintenance,which is something I do not wanna go thru again!!
And then,if you can't do the maintenance or repair work yourself,and or need to bring it to a dealer or qualified shop,[if you can find one ] they too will have to remove these bells and whistles which,you the customer will be paying for,and paying dearly.I mean,these bells and whistles are great to have,but at what cost,follow me?? So I'll keep things simple,like I am!!
But the upside of this machine,atleast from what I've been reading and after watching the videos,is the power she makes.But then again,do I really need it?? I'm not a kid anymore and don't need to be traveling at warp factor III,like I did in my youth or 100 years ago!! lol lol I now like to enjoy life,or what's left of it,while also keeping things simple,JUST LIKE ME!!! lol Dave!!!

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,293 Posts
I can't say that I actually dislike it, but I'm completely indifferent to it. I'm now that way towards any large cruiser motorcycle in the price range of $15-30,000+. For my kind of riding, and my tastes, I'd much rather have a clean, used, low-mile '14-'15 Classic for $10-12,000 if I was to buy another Indian of any kind. I don't want anything with a f#[email protected] TV screen in my face (though our '18 Goldwing has a small one, but my wife bought it with her money, not mine).

I'm at the point where I'd rather have a $6000 Sportster than a $25,000 road barge.

·
Senior member / rider
1,037 Posts
No. They didn’t have one to demo. It wasn’t my dealer so I didn’t argue with them. That may have been the deciding factor
I did get a short ride on one. It’s very nice. But it’s too big and too much for me. As mentioned, I don’t think I want a radio, much less a big ol’ screen. But, if (when) there’s a Springfield style on this platform, with the corresponding weight reduction, I would be very tempted.

·
Vendor / bronze
2,882 Posts
I ride a Springfield. I don't like the look of fairings. It reminds me of old people on GoldWings. (Oh most of guys are becoming old.) Any way I rode the Challenger and I am super impressed with the bike. The power is at a new level. And it sounds better than the stock 111 bikes. I think I will keep my 2016 SF but I am waking up at night thinking I just traded for the Challenger.

·
Founding Member
525 Posts
You are not the only one. Not trading my 2018 CDH.

Sounds like a Kawasaki. It always will since it is a short stroke engine.

Nice bike, just not for me. Think BMW and Jap bikes will be its competition. HD guys will not be that interested.

·
Rider
900 Posts
I can't say that I actually dislike it, but I'm completely indifferent to it. I'm now that way towards any large cruiser motorcycle in the price range of $15-30,000+. For my kind of riding, and my tastes, I'd much rather have a clean, used, low-mile '14-'15 Classic for $10-12,000 if I was to buy another Indian of any kind. I don't want anything with a f#[email protected] TV screen in my face (though our '18 Goldwing has a small one, but my wife bought it with her money, not mine).

I'm at the point where I'd rather have a $6000 Sportster than a $25,000 road barge.
That's what I did, looked for gently used Chieftain, found a 2016 in Indian Red with 2,400 miles, like new condition, completely stock, previous owner took care of all recalls/bullitens for $15,200...bought it and am very happy! =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you haven’t ridden one, no point in offering an opinion on anything but the looks. The bike has to be ridden to be truly appreciated. Yes, it’s that good.
Agree 100%
The Bike has ridiculous technology, POWER, handling and style...
The complaining reminds of the Corvette crowd EVERY time a new Generation Vette is released....

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
You are not the only one. Not trading my 2018 CDH.

Sounds like a Kawasaki. It always will since it is a short stroke engine.

Nice bike, just not for me. Think BMW and Jap bikes will be its competition. HD guys will not be that interested.
Are you an HD guy, or do you know what interests HD guys? I am, and now have a Challenger to go with my HD bikes.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts