Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I saw this horn on Kickstarter and have ordered one. Thought I would share in case anyone else is interested.

I have no experience of this product or company, just a desire to replace the unimpressive stock sqeaker.

SHOCKWAVE – The First Smart Motorcycle Warning System
I like it, particularly the install with no relay needed and the one-button dual-function but don't know how well it would fit on the Scout and still be unobtrusive.

Dimensions: H 4.9" x L 3.7" x W 3.0" x (125mm x 94mm x 76mm)

That's basically a box that's 5" tall by 4 inches thick by 3 inches wide.
Banshee horn.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you don't want to wait for shipping, Stebel horns are available at lots of motorcycle shops and stores. Of course that may cost a bit more...
Stebel has been making horns since 1955. My first one was in 1976.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
That's about what the Stebel sounds like...

If you don't want to wait for shipping, Stebel horns are available at lots of motorcycle shops and stores. Of course that may cost a bit more...
Stebel has been making horns since 1955. My first one was in 1976.
The beautiful aspect of the horn that @enzo5000 posted it the split-mounting capability. It would be far easier to mount this on the Scout than the Stebel or any other compact trumpet horn.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have the Stebel Nautilus. It mounts pretty much anywhere that you can access a 1/4" - 3/8" bolt or screw. I have mine mounted on the outside of the windshield. I replaced one of the bolts that holds the Lexan and metal trim together with a bolt that is 1/4" longer. One bolt, two wires, done. The wiring is via a relay connected to the original stock horn wires. The hardest part was the wire to the battery for the 3rd leg of the relay. All of the parts and installation instructions were included in the box.
(not all of their horns have the wiring harness included. Mine did because that's what I ordered)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Any loud horn beats OEM horns. They are essentially useless.

One idea and a mounting how to.

Two entirely different bikes, I looked into mounting a horn on the front side of the radiator without success as there is limited space, no place to attach it, and ascetically that location, to be blunt sucks:([/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
That is OK. Just analyze, modify, and install what works. Few suppliers are onboard with Indian.

That may be a bigger issue. Obviously with the radiator, Scouts are different from other Indians.

I would like to see a much louder horn as a dealer option. However most Indian dealers around me won't care.

·
Rider
1,004 Posts
That is OK. Just analyze, modify, and install what works. Few suppliers are onboard with Indian.

That may be a bigger issue. Obviously with the radiator, Scouts are different from other Indians.

I would like to see a much louder horn as a dealer option. However most Indian dealers around me won't care.
I just bought a new 2016 Roadmaster and have been amazed at how WIMPY the horn is. I'm getting a Wolo horn and, once I have it in hand, I'm going to take a few measurements and then start searching for a good looking cover to mount the horn in place of the OEM part.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I just bought a new 2016 Roadmaster and have been amazed at how WIMPY the horn is. I'm getting a Wolo horn and, once I have it in hand, I'm going to take a few measurements and then start searching for a good looking cover to mount the horn in place of the OEM part.
Congrats on you're new Roadmaster it's an incredible ride. But just asking Mucker, why are you posting this info on the Scout forum. ?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I had posted is under Scout Hella horns on Oct 2nd 2016. I thought it important enough to re-post if any of you missed it.

SCREAMING BANSHEE SHOCKWAVE.

Just installed the latest version of Screaming Banshee horn the, "Shockwave" that I waited several months for as I first saw it on the Kickstarter funding raising projects. I am one, if not the only Scout owner to install this horn as it's only been out a month. I"m leaving the oem hooked up to operate in tandem as I did with the last horn (no reason to remove it, Keeping the oem wired is not necessary as this horn is very, VERY LOUD,.

I replaced the first aftermarket horn because the Shockwave claimed to be louder and I wanted louder, and it is by a lot, louder than my 2300 Dodge pickup. It truly is an air-horn, not an electric horn as in a car/truck or our Scout.

Once again I attempted to improve the location of this horn wanting the bell facing forward, but in the end settled on this as the best of all worlds. After installation I painted the bare metal and bracket. The job took several hours of fabricating and tweaking the bracket. Wiring the horn was as easy as hooking the positive and neg to the battery. I will a wait for the next scheduled service to have the "wrench" attach the one yellow wire to the high beam headlight wire so it pulsates with the horn.

I've had fun playing around with the horn while riding with my IMRG, and many more assorted brand bikes. No comparison to any other horn I've been around since installation, this horn kicks butt.
IMG_1400.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
For what it's worth, I Installed the WOLO air horn you can get from autozone or Harbor Freight. Made a small 3" bracket and installed off the upper bolt on the engine guard. Followed directions using a relay and connected to existing horn switch. It is wired directly through the battery. You have to use the relay to avoid burning out the existing horn switch. Works really well and makes enough noise for me. Below are 2 pics. the Indian decal is compliments of their decal sheet!
IMG_8928.JPG
IMG_8931.JPG

1 - 20 of 25 Posts