Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at a used HD even though my dream is to own an Indian. I am able to afford the used HD right now, I will have to wait another year to be able to afford the Indian I want. I made the mistake of registering at an HD forum and introducing myself and asking a general question about what to look for when buying a used HD in the same welcome only post. The main thing I got back was RTFM or in this case RTFR. Not a "warm" welcome. That has solidified my decision to skip the HD and wait until next year to buy what I really want.
I have always believed that motorcycle people are good people. I have been told by many that HD riders are a**holes. I have never had that experience. They have always been good with me. This interaction left a bad taste in my mouth. Now I am beginning to see why the animosity. I wish I could delete my account over there, but alas, I can't. I know I made a mistake in trying to post a welcome and a question in the same place but to continue to harp on the read the forum rules, and all that, from a simple purchase question is BS.
Lesson learned. Stick with what my soul is telling me. Don't grab the easy thing, wait for the right thing.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Have a great day everyone.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
No worries and welcome to this Tribe from the Other Side of the Pond.

I am fortunate enough to have two iconic American branded motorcycles and as a result am a member of that forum too! I obviously don't see your experience as you do. If it left such a bad taste in your mouth why did you thank everyone after each input? All bar one welcomed you directly. They were only trying to point you in the right direction after all. Just sayin'

Reactions: R. Warshawsky

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have been looking at a used HD even though my dream is to own an Indian. I am able to afford the used HD right now, I will have to wait another year to be able to afford the Indian I want. I made the mistake of registering at an HD forum and introducing myself and asking a general question about what to look for when buying a used HD in the same welcome only post. The main thing I got back was RTFM or in this case RTFR. Not a "warm" welcome. That has solidified my decision to skip the HD and wait until next year to buy what I really want.
I have always believed that motorcycle people are good people. I have been told by many that HD riders are a**holes. I have never had that experience. They have always been good with me. This interaction left a bad taste in my mouth. Now I am beginning to see why the animosity. I wish I could delete my account over there, but alas, I can't. I know I made a mistake in trying to post a welcome and a question in the same place but to continue to harp on the read the forum rules, and all that, from a simple purchase question is BS.
Lesson learned. Stick with what my soul is telling me. Don't grab the easy thing, wait for the right thing.
Thanks for letting me get that off my chest. Have a great day everyone.
"Rtfm?"

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
BuzzCap7 who posted the RTFM (read the f***ing manual) remark uses that entire post to welcome all newcomers and he stated so. You need a thicker skin as you have taken it much too personally, it is after all a motorcycle forum not a knitting circle. If you are so desperate to delete your account drop BuzzCap7 a 'PM.'

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No worries and welcome to this Tribe from the Other Side of the Pond.

I am fortunate enough to have two iconic American branded motorcycles and as a result am a member of that forum too! I obviously don't see your experience as you do. If it left such a bad taste in your mouth why did you thank everyone after each input? All bar one welcomed you directly. They were only trying to point you in the right direction after all. Just sayin'

I thanked them because I do appreciate their taking the time to reply. Nothing wrong with thanking folks for taking time out of their day to provide information to a stranger. I just didn't appreciate the multiple RTFM's. I got that after the second reply. As you saw another reply made reference to reading the forum rules twice in one post. I get it, I posted something in the wrong place. No need to keep harping on it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was in the same boat when I decided that I wanted to get into motorcycle riding. I knew I wanted a cruiser and despite what I was told about the pretentious HD owner, I still went to the dealer to learn about the riding academy and sit on some bikes. My heart was set on a soft tail (FAT BOB) but my wallet was set on a sportster or street rod but the sales man started bashing my choice and pushed me towards the soft tails. I then went to a motorcycle shop that sells all the major japanese brands and it was a completely different experience. I told them my situation and the salesman told me to go nuts and sit on whatever I wanted to get a taste of how they feel. When I told him that I was also interested in an Indian (which they didn't sell) he didnt bat an eye at the idea of not selling and still answered all my newbie questions.
Its unfortunate that those type of HD fanboys give them a bad name because since I got my scout, almost every HD rider that has seen my bike has given me a thumbs up or said that its a nice bike. Same as you, im glad I was pushed away from that early.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
Don't get hung up on it! You made your intro and should just have posed your question where suggested. You would have got all the answers you wanted. Just in case you change your mind? And yes it is a manual of sorts.

😎

There is enough bullshit animosity between often misguided brand loyalty and their vociferous owners, just ride what you've got, enjoy it and stop bleating about others, it can make you look as bad as them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BuzzCap7 who posted the RTFM (read the f***ing manual) remark uses that entire post to welcome all newcomers and he stated so. You need a thicker skin as you have taken it much too personally, it is after all a motorcycle forum not a knitting circle. If you are so desperate to delete your account drop BuzzCap7 a 'PM.'
I get where you are coming from about being thicker skinned. I was just thinking that it wasn't a very warm welcome for someone looking to become part of the HD community.
I also knew that posting over here would probably mean that someone from over there would be here. The motorcycle community is pretty close and if you ride enough we all cross paths.
K9F, Thank you so much for the link to the manual it is sincerely appreciated. Like I said earlier in this post, It just didn't seem very warm. I really did like the input about the cam guides in the cam chest. I would never have thought about something like that.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Like I said earlier in this post, It just didn't seem very warm.
Anyway, you are welcome here. It sounds like you didn't find what you expected. Honestly, when you get on the machine, regardless of brand, most guys out there are welcoming. I ride with HD folks all the time. I also ride with an active IMRG group. All I can tell you about your upcoming purchase is to buy what you love. I did. And I'm still putting a lot of miles on that make it hard to stop smiling.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Say your looking in to a used HD ,what model Indian are you hoping to get? Have you looked for a used Indian, there a variety of units on the market. Soon the 2020 models should be going on sale and there a lot of incentives with buying a new bike.

·
German Rider
1,732 Posts
Same experience here in germany. Not all, but most of those Harley guys here are lawyers, dentists and a$$Holes. Sorry, but that is my personal experience over here. Each to his/her own a d every E should ride what he/she wants.
I also got two good friends who ride a Harley, but it seems, that they are an exception of the main mass.

Welcome here on the indian forum from Germany.

Cu,
Sven

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
Soelman, I am sorry you appear to have misconstrued somewhat your experience. The site in general is one of the best around with very useful links to 'How Tos' and lots of valuable technical information. I steer very clear of the POD forum there (Political) and have often to tread lightly myself as the English sense of humor is totally different to that on your Side of the Pond. I have learnt so very much and received lots of invaluable information regarding modifications etc.

Ultimately I wish you all the very best in your quest to buy your dream bike. If you are still looking or considering a Harley-Davidson the only advice I can give is that there are many low mileage Garage Queens out there and careful selection could yield you a very fair priced bike with perhaps enough spare money to make it your own. Not sure if there are many Indian Garage Queens out there? Over here certainly not!

As an example a very good friend of mine scored a 24 year old Fat Boy with only 12k miles on it a mere 8 weeks ago. As stated good luck on whatever you decide? His bike is right of picture.

I too ride with HD folk, Yamaha folk, Triumph Folk and a myriad of others, it matters not but I do have a personal dislike of those that have a tendency to bash and berate other brands and their owners often with little or no experience of the brand they are bumping their gums about and as you can see it doesn't take much to get others willing to jump on up on the bandwagon to give their $0:02 worth, in fact their input is worthless.

Todays ride!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really don't want to paint it as though I was bullied over there. (Damn that sounds like I'm some new gen snowflake) I just didn't feel like they were really welcoming me or wanting to help. More like, "Read the damn rules noob and post in the right f***ing place." I know that just like everything else in this world you can't paint the entire community with a wide brush. I know there are good and bad people in all communities. I think I just need to give it a day and go back and reread the posts with a less...jaundiced view. I have loved riding and playing bars, rallies and festivals and meeting a very diverse group of people. That is why this interaction caught me off guard.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
.......The motorcycle community is pretty close and if you ride enough we all cross paths.
Never a truer word.

Please do go back and have another reread as suggested. I saw nothing untoward apart perhaps BuzzCap7's post but rest-assured it's a template he uses for all newcomers and was not aimed at you personally. As stated whatever path you choose Ride Safe and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Say your looking in to a used HD ,what model Indian are you hoping to get? Have you looked for a used Indian, there a variety of units on the market. Soon the 2020 models should be going on sale and there a lot of incentives with buying a new bike.
Hi Old Cheif,
I really want to get a Chieftain, preferably an Elite. I love the look of them. I have looked for a used Indian near me but the closest dealer is a couple of hours from me at the closest. I have checked some of the dealers within a reasonable drive from me and they don't have a used touring style bike in my range of affordability. That is why I think I will have to wait until next year to make the leap to Indian. The HD that I found in all of my searching seemed to be a really good deal but I am not sure how well it was taken care of. At least with the Vulcan I have I know what it has been through and how it has been maintained.

·
Rider
1,179 Posts
Get what’s you really want, don’t settle. If it takes a year and you really want it it’ll be worth it. Maybe you’ll come into some cash earlier than expected and be able to get it sooner. But if you settle for something you want now you may have a voice in the back of your head wondering what if you waited.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True Scarecrow.

·
Silver member
5,043 Posts
Soelman, Welcome. Once you get your Indian it will be' "Welcome to the Tribe."

I am a member over there as I have some HD's too, but I don't talk much about those. I mostly enjoy the chaos of the off topic threads, reading about the M8 motor advancements and lack there of with HD's support, and old EVO bike questions, and just general informational threads in the general hd thread.

But mostly, I try and correct them on that ridiculous, "Indian Mega Thread" when someone says something completely off the mark about something they know nothing about. Most of the guys over there though have changed their attitude since PI took over the Indian brand. In the early days it was a true bashing shit show over PI owning Indian. Now some of them are like that new Challenger, hmmmmmmmmn and are warming up a bit.

I go by the exact same name BTW so I am not there to talk shit on HD. I love HD to, but I really love Indian the most. The first time a saw an old Chief ride by our house while my Dad was wrenching on his old Triumph or AMF HD I was hooked. Just something about them struck a nerve with me at 7 years old.

Anyway, there are some real good guys over there and some real pain in the asses too, but they have a huge membership compared to our little tribe. BTW, we have a few cantankerous members over here too, ;)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts