Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a kickstand mishap yesterday and almost dropped my Roadmaster. I was luckily able to muscle it back up with the help of a buddy standing nearby.

What's the expectation of damage that would occur should I drop my bike? It looks as though the hard bags would be severely damaged. If so, is there any protective items that would minimize damage?

My previous bile was a Victory Vision Tour and it had "tipover protection" that totally protected the bike and a sensor on the front protector that would shut off the fuel pump if the bike went over

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
You can get rear crash bars that mount right in front of the bags. They will keep them from touching in a slow controlled tip over.

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts
I am not afraid to admit I have dropped my '14 Chieftain no less than 4 times over the past 6+ years. Twice before the rear crash bar was installed. On the 2 occasions the bike was running, it immediately shut down. On none of the occasions did any serious damage happen to the bike. Minimal scrapping of the rear bag and the underside of the crash bars are scrapped up, but that doesn't show unless you get down and look for it. Other than that, no damage.

·
Bronze member
1,686 Posts
Rear crash bars help unless the surface is uneven. Still bag scrapes not really noticeable or you can add those chrome pieces for the older style bags.

·
Founding member
2,172 Posts
Rear crash bars help unless the surface is uneven. Still bag scrapes not really noticeable or you can add those chrome pieces for the older style bags.
Regarding the chrome pieces on the outside of the older bags, they are purely for looks. The way they mount will result in more damage (not protection) if the bike goes down. They are just screwed into the plastic bottom of the bags and if they strike the ground with any force, the screws will rip holes into the bottom of the bag and/or the side chrome will strike/scratch the sides of the bags.

I have them on my bike to enhance the looks and like them, but I've also seen the damage they can do if the bike is dropped hard in pics and on a friend's bike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great responses!! As it happens, I have both front/rear crash bars on my bike from the factory...but I least I now know that they will provide some protection if it goes down. Appreciate the knowledgable input/advice!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,059 Posts
Dropped my rm the second week of ownership. Went down on the right side as I stopped in a parking stall. Front and rear crash bars worked flawlessly. The bottom edge of the bag touched the pavement and scraped a small amount. The bars had small dings on the bottom edge from contact.

I've since wrapped the bars in leather and a layer of clear 3m tape on the bottom edge of the bags. Should be good for the next drop.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
I tested the anti-tip guards on my Vision once.

They worked.

Having dropped my Roadmaster a couple of times, it will shut off automatically.
Roadmasters come with rear highway bars so if you have a gentle drop, it isn't likely to be harmed. You ego is another matter entirely.

·
Bronze member
1,686 Posts
Regarding the chrome pieces on the outside of the older bags, they are purely for looks. The way they mount will result in more damage (not protection) if the bike goes down. They are just screwed into the plastic bottom of the bags and if they strike the ground with any force, the screws will rip holes into the bottom of the bag and/or the side chrome will strike/scratch the sides of the bags.

I have them on my bike to enhance the looks and like them, but I've also seen the damage they can do if the bike is dropped hard in pics and on a friend's bike.

·
148 Posts
After a friend had a tip over with his RM that scratched the bottom of his bag we had a welding shop make 1" thick spacer blocks to mount between the frame and the rear crash bars. Also requires 1" longer bolts and some black spray paint but now a tip over does no damage. They can't even be seen unless you are looking closely. The shop made 3 sets for $40. Hard to believe Indian crash bars are not more protective .An after-marketer should be selling these.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
There was a post on the forum where a member added shaft collars to his crash bars to get the extra 1" of clearance to keep from scratching the bags.

·
Rider
943 Posts
I was backing my RM into a parking spot and did not adjust for the bollard. The bike just grazed the bollard and pushed the bike over. It landed on the left side and rested on the guards. In the process, I twisted the throttle and the bike revved and I had to turn it off with the switch. There was no damage to the bike, It just made me sad because it was the first time.

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
+1 on the collar added for a tiny bit of extra clearance. Stock highway bars will still allow some damage if you are on gravel.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Hey I’ve dropped my bike at least 5 times and did it just last week in front of my wife and neighbor
Oh well shit happens

get front and rear engine guards
Worth every penny
Most damage I had was brake handle broke
And some scratches on the engine guards

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've dropped my bike a few times. The front and rear crash bars have saved the bike from any damage, but my ego is another story. Lol!
Hey Chief I have dropped my RM twice now whilst either stationary or moving backwards and the bike sat on the crash bars, both times a slow motion pride crushing experience. The hilarious bit is side stepping off and looking at my girlfriend (RM) laying on a 45 ° angle waiting for me to lift her up again to be ridden. The bars are awesome no damage except my pride, worst bit is how bloody hard it is for a vertically challenged critter to stand her up.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Hey Chief I have dropped my RM twice now whilst either stationary or moving backwards and the bike sat on the crash bars, both times a slow motion pride crushing experience. The hilarious bit is side stepping off and looking at my girlfriend (RM) laying on a 45 ° angle waiting for me to lift her up again to be ridden. The bars are awesome no damage except my pride, worst bit is how bloody hard it is for a vertically challenged critter to stand her up.
Front and rear crash bars should be required equipment on any Chief...
In my honest opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,817 Posts
@Hairy There is a whole discussion on technique here. For those of use with knee issues that can't squat, I carry and use a short strap.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts