Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped to get lunch and pie at a small town Kansas Mom and Pop known for good pie. Finished eating just as they were closing and started to head out into what we thought was a small shower with maybe a slight bit of harder rain, but nothing we hadn’t ridden before... As we pulled out of the parking lot one of the girls rain out to flag us down. Had us pull under their front awning and hang out with them as it passed through... As my Mrs and I always say “Life is Good” and it’s because of people like these folks we can’t forget that! Peace and enjoy your ride!
4FE39A51-ADF9-4744-9F40-8F4E5D279149.jpeg
6563A10F-0A7A-49F9-9F55-9AE6082DB820.jpeg

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
That was really nice of them to do that!

Reactions: A-58 and PE4CE

·
Bronze member
2,050 Posts
We are returning from a week of camping in Yellowstone. Saw 5 minutes of rain all week. Unfortunately it also came with the largest hail (2-3”) I’ve ever seen. My new Tundra looks like a golf ball and our Aluma trailer is also pretty beat up. I’ve never seen or experienced anything like it. I thought we were going to lose the windshield or the glass sunroof panel.

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
657 Posts
One time I was passing a semi at about 70 mph and it commenced to hail in downtown Greensboro, NC during rush hour. About one of my top five scariest riding experiences. I'm saving the name of the restaurant, and next time I'm in Kansas I will make it a point to get there. That would be a good thread if there is not one already, good non chain eating joints that like motorcycle people. Here's one of mine, In Floyd, Virginia right Stu!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had a similar experience. Just turned down the road toward Grand Canyon just outside of Cameron AZ. We could see the black clouds, but have been riding in the rain off and on for a couple of days, so we didnt think much of it. We pulled off the road to don the rain gear just as it started to rain. We hopped on the bikes and just started off when a car coming from the direction we were headed flagged us down. She said there are huge hail stones falling and very strong winds that way and we may want to wait until is has passed. So we pulled off under some empty Native American "Jewelry for sale" stands and not a minute too soon.

The hail was so bad hitting the tin roof that we couldnt hear each other yell.

Cars were pulling off the road to wait it out because their windshield wipers couldnt wipe the rain and hail fast enough for them to see through the windshield. Then the flash flood came raging by. The nearby wash was bone dry when we stopped, and within 10 mins it was a raging river. I have never seen so much water appear so fast. Man was i glad that gal flagged us down. But that was a part of the ride that we will never forget.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Stopped to get lunch and pie at a small town Kansas Mom and Pop known for good pie. Finished eating just as they were closing and started to head out into what we thought was a small shower with maybe a slight bit of harder rain, but nothing we hadn’t ridden before... As we pulled out of the parking lot one of the girls rain out to flag us down. Had us pull under their front awning and hang out with them as it passed through... As my Mrs and I always say “Life is Good” and it’s because of people like these folks we can’t forget that! Peace and enjoy your ride! View attachment 597351 View attachment 597352
An SUV at my hotel in Sioux Falls last night was destroyed. Front windshield is totally spider webbed/shattered and the hood and top looked like baseballs from hell had it out for them. I missed it. They were on open highway, no where to cover.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I rode in some pea sized hail once. That stings just a little. I had to put my hand over my face since I wear an open face helmet just in case something slipped past the windshield. It was in Kansas coming back from Wichita to Leavenworth. Passed another motorcycleist under an overpass with no rain gear. Nice of them to offer cover for it!

Reactions: PE4CE

·
Registered
51 Posts
I rode in some pea sized hail once. That stings just a little. I had to put my hand over my face since I wear an open face helmet just in case something slipped past the windshield. It was in Kansas coming back from Wichita to Leavenworth. Passed another motorcycleist under an overpass with no rain gear. Nice of them to offer cover for it!
Overpass prayers instead of a few bucks for Frogs Togs. Joking

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should have gotten some pics of the hail, it was ping pong size.
Love hearing the other good news story’s.

@Micmac if you stop for lunch and a pie you will not be disappointed! Great riding area too boot...

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
657 Posts
I love riding out in Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and the mid-west in general. Great food abounds. Wonderful people everywhere. Funny, I live in some of the most popular riding destinations in the east, but it seems the grass is always greener!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just rode through some pea-sized hail this Saturday, NE of Mankato, Mn. Also comforting were the numerous lightning strikes around us, as I ride with a WWII (metal) helmet. And, for the first time this year, I'd removed my windshield as the morning was so gorgeous. I got by holding my hand a few inches in front of my face, which deflected the worst of it. Later heard they had reported high winds and golf-ball sized hail that we barely missed, riding just on the edge of the system. Lucky after all.

·
Bronze member
3,435 Posts
reading this thread... nobody must have a 2020 with weather overlay on their gps...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I love riding out in Kansas, Iowa, Missouri and the mid-west in general. Great food abounds. Wonderful people everywhere. Funny, I live in some of the most popular riding destinations in the east, but it seems the grass is always greener!
I've been treated well in Talladega, AL. I've ridden there a couple times and loved socializing with the good 'ol boys who raise their kids to say "yes sir/ma'am." I'm in Lexington, Kentucky now. Arrived a couple hours ago. I was treated well in Montana. Tennessee always does right by me. My ride thru Iowa today was friendly enough. This particular trip is not so much for enjoyment but I try to get off the beaten path and talk with locals.

·
Registered
606 Posts
reading this thread... nobody must have a 2020 with weather overlay on their gps...
Didn't even know that was a thing! However, I have had good luck with my Android application "MyRadar" for tracking weather and precip. I'd assume it's compatible with I phones too. 9 times out of 10 a 7% chance of rain is going to be nothing here, but that 10th time, it pops off a thunderstorm and scattered heavy showers. Last night my bike got a good free rinse parked at work, then freeway spray going home as the shower had just passed. But I knew by the radar app I'd hit a the tail end of a shower by where I live. Sure enough. But good experimentation as it's the first time with my RM to ride in the rain, I wanted to see where I'd get wet. The leg fairings kept most of the rain off my shins with the doors shut. The road spray gets flowed up over the top of them though, on to the knees. The windshield up kept me mostly dry with the short shower. Gloves not soaked either. But I should remember to put my rain gear in the bags somewhere. I have to find it now wherever I put it out of my old bike when it went for this Indian. But a nice wipe down when I got home with some microfiber towels got that metallic burgundy shining in the sun today!

Reactions: PE4CE

·
4,503 Posts
The two worst storms I ever rode through were in Kansas. I felt like I was riding through a car wash with 50 mph winds.

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I left a few details out of the original post because I was typing on my phone.... I love my weather overlay and use it often, but even in this day and age, some places you have no signal. This was one of those locations and the storm was a pop up storm, so wasn't on the radar prior to heading out. lol We do keep up with the weather, especially here in Kansas during this time of year. o_O:cool:

·
Founding member
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The two worst storms I ever ride through were in Kansas. I felt like I was riding through a car wash with 50 mph winds.
We've ridden through these a few times, it's the bad part of riding through Kansas... LOL This particular storm had large sized hail which made it so nasty...

The only good part about getting caught in serious storms is that after that ride, you have one heck of a great story to share. My Mrs and I call them our "EPIC rides"...

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
I don't understand what you're talking about!! o_OAll ya gotta do is raise the "OPTIONAL" convertible top that does NOT come on any of these bikes and ya CAN'T buy, :rolleyes: ,and you're good to go!! :LOL: Of course,ya might get just a wee bit damp during your ride,but look at ALL the FUN you'll have!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Smart ars,Dave!!! lol lol

·
4,503 Posts
We've ridden through these a few times, it's the bad part of riding through Kansas... LOL This particular storm had large sized hail which made it so nasty...

The only good part about getting caught in serious storms is that after that ride, you have one heck of a great story to share. My Mrs and I call them our "EPIC rides"...
I actually had a State Trooper pull me over in Kansas during a storm. Told me to turn around and go back a couple miles to the last exit as there was a really bad hail storm ahead. I did, and barely made it to the hotel before 1 inch hail started falling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts