Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

Rider
Progressive is the best 馃馃徏

A month ago I paid $157 to Progressive to cover my Bobber from 1-Mar-20 to 1-Mar-21

The good thing about Insurance companies is that they need you more than you need them...

make one phone call back to them and tell them you're switching...

if they don't, get other insurance

no one should ever be loyal to insurance companies....

A792951A-D650-4839-9A11-5FEF49262414.jpeg

Bronze member
Geico $230 yr

Rider
Insurance rates depend a lot by where you live. Just like homeowners insurance. Us folks living in a concrete jungle. Usually pay more.
I live in the 4th biggest concrete jungle in the nation...

don't overpay for motorcycle insurance - if you're paying too much, simply call around

you're damn near guaranteed to find a less costly rate馃槒馃憤馃徏

Rider
Allshite is the worst company I have ever had insurance with, screwed me over so bad 20 years later I am still pissed off
The people who worked there 20 years ago have probably already died, or found better jobs...

I doubt anyone on the planet has ever said they wanted to make a career out of selling insurance...

Registered
WOW!
After reading this thread I realized I am getting absolutely RAPED by Dairyland!!!

Time for a change....

Premium Member
This is NOT a promotion of any particular company/carrier, it is wise to shop rates. Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

Almost 24 months ago, I bought a Roadmaster and because it is financed, needed full coverage. Wow, that was a shock. Not many months after, my wife bought her first bike. Not financed, but she never had a motorcycle to cover so her carrier wanted more $$. I shopped all the major carriers. Most pull you in with some low estimate then jack up the final rate. Since I have been with Allstate for years, I have a good relationship with the agent. We had a frank chat about rates and I got an education.

• Make sure your quotes offer the same coverage.
  • Make sure they have YOUR driving record.
  • Make sure they use YOUR address (concrete jungle guys).
  • Take advantage of any existing policies including auto, home, life. Most carriers offer a package discount.
In the end, when I got all the ducks lined up. Geico may have been the cheapest (auto only), but only by a few dollars. When I factored in package discounts for home and history, Allstate was still my best choice.
Go to your agent and ask questions.

Rider
Have been very happy with Farmers in the past(They covered 2 stolen HD smooth and fast), have not checked those rates lately, now with Gieco.

Registered
I'm with Farmer's Insurance, and the bike is thru Foremost (Farmer's underwriter for motorcycles). My rates actually went down by a few bucks this year. I've had pretty good thing to say about them, especially since they had to replace my bike in 2017, and they didn't jack me on insuring the new bike with them.
Yep Foremost. Both bikes are around $350/yr. Full replacement on the Indian.

Registered
Anybody that doesn't shop their coverage at least every two years is probably paying too much. I shop all my coverages, at least every two years; auto, home, motorcycle, ATV, boat, PWC, umbrella...ALL of it.

And I usually change carriers every two years. The money saved is substantial.

In the past 10 years, I have been insured by Travelers, GEICO, Progressive, Liberty Mutual, and Farmers (twice). Each one was the low-price provider at the time, but raised their rates substantially at renewal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rider
My Progressive policy on my 5 bikes went up again though I have NO claims and aren't my bikes becoming less valuable each year thus less to pay out if they are totaled? I called and was told that Nevada has seen an uptick in accident claims so everyone who knows how to to drive/ride gets it in the keister too. WTF over... Well that's their story and they are sticking to it...

Founding member
Geico here .Two bikes,not financed but $1000 deductable full coverage.About $500 a year.

The uninsured motarest portion of my policy is the most expensive.

I pay extra to protect myself. A friend brought this into perspective. He was hit by a person with the minimum insurance. The injuries although not life threatining are extensive.The intinal ambulance and hospital charges ate up all the other drivers insurance.This still left long term care and vehicle replacement unfunded.

He did have uninsured motarest insurance that with the help of a lawyer is paying the bills.

Premium Member
The uninsured motorist portion of my policy is the most expensive.

I pay extra to protect myself. A friend brought this into perspective. He was hit by a person with the minimum insurance. The injuries although not life threatening are extensive.The initial ambulance and hospital charges ate up all the other drivers insurance.This still left long term care and vehicle replacement unfunded.
THIS was the exact situation described by my agent. And, lit is one of the most costly to insure.

Registered
I have progressive also. Allstate is heavily leveraged in the stock market for the cash flow they need to cover claims. If the stock market is down they have to raise rates to be able to meet claims pay outs. Not a very wise way to conduct business. Progressive has reserves set aside for claims so not nearly as influenced by stock market fluctuations. I'll be surprised if Allstate survives the hit they have taken. They were kind of on the ropes before this downturn.
I鈥檓 no fan of Allstate because I work for a competitor, but that is not really true. In terms of investments, the Property and Casualty industry is tightly regulated on the types of investments they can place premium in. They generally have to stick with conservative, liquid investments so if a disaster strikes they will have access to capital.
It is true across the industry that in the low interest environment insurance companies have to rely on underwriting results for a profit rather than taking an underwriting loss and then making up for it with investment income. That has driven higher insurance rates for quite awhile now.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts