Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Rider
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just wanted to give my brothers and sisters a head up. My Allstate agent called me and advised me that my renewal is coming up but there is an increase in the premium. So I call him back and he advised that the company is changing the way they do the insurance and my rate is going from $367.00 per year to $800.00 per year so y’all check your stuff out before renewal. I used to use a company many years ago that did nothing but motorcycles, ATVs and boats out of Pennsylvania but I can’t find their information for the life of me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Same here. Thank God I checked renewal rate since many folks are on auto pay and are gonna be in for a shock. I was gonna go from 450 to 670 for my vintage and wife's can am Spyder. I went back to progressive. Been with Allstate 45 years. Progressive came in at 357 for both with better coverage, roadside assistance and trip interruption.Everyone should look each year to get best rate. I've used GEICO, Allstate, Progressive and Markel

·
Bronze member
1,403 Posts
I had Allstate for one year. Unfortunately I had a claim that year and getting an accurate appraisal to get the repairs started was a nightmare. They know nothing about bikes or boats. Stick with a company like Progressive who specializes in bikes.

·
Founding member
921 Posts
I have Allstate. Was paying $235/year. Jumped to $420/year. Now back to $320/year. Was involved in 2 very bad car accidents. If I was on the Chief. I would be six feet under right now. Both of the other drivers were %100 at fault. I been very pleased with them. Had Progressive before them. They would raise there rates every year. I think motorcycling has gotten so dangerous. With so many idiots on the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have American Family, about $160 per year, but I took off some things I viewed as non essential to have. For an 18 chieftain.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,634 Posts
I agree about the idiot drivers on our roads. I was rear ended while on a nice Triumph back in 2001 and the bike was totaled but I wasn't. It took me 2 weeks to decide to get back on or never ride again. I chose to keep riding, getting a used Honda Nighthawk 750 just 2 weeks after my accident. I could barely walk but I rode that bike home.

·
Bronze member
2,100 Posts
Wow!! You guys are sure paying a lot of money for insurance. I'd hate to tell ya what I'm payin cause it's no wheres near what you guys are payin.Three years ago next month [ April 2017],a woman in a brandy new Toyota Seqouiya broad sided me as I was driving by her driveway on my 2010 Triumph ThunderBird.She stopped at the end of her driveway,looked right [but not left] then just punched the gas ,HARD,broadsiding me,and pushing me over the yellow line and into the other lane,but I never went down and was able to keep the machine upright!! Thank god,no one was coming from the other direction cause if there was,I would NOT be posting this story and you guys would NOT have had the "distinguished" pleasure [ :rolleyes: :eek:] of knowing me.:giggle: The good news was,the only damage to my scooter was the right rear crash bar got bent as that's what took the brunt of the hit [and is what actually saved my ass] but,obviously needed to be replaced,which her insurance company was more then happy to pay for.The bad news was,the wife STILL has to put up with me!! lol lol Dave!!!

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
Another vote for Progressive. I had a claim early on with my Scout 60 and they were great in taking care of it.

·
Rider
809 Posts
It is interesting that you say your rates are increasing because I just saw a youtube video about the market and how it is affecting the insurance industry. Maybe that is why they are raising the rates because they are losing their A$$ in the stock market. I think I would be looking for another insurance company ASAP if that is the case.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I'm with Farmer's Insurance, and the bike is thru Foremost (Farmer's underwriter for motorcycles). My rates actually went down by a few bucks this year. I've had pretty good thing to say about them, especially since they had to replace my bike in 2017, and they didn't jack me on insuring the new bike with them.

·
Silver member
3,124 Posts
My '15 Vintage is insured through American Reliable Ins. Co. Full coverage for $240 per yrear and includes $3,000 for after market add on's. Contact an Independent Ins. agency and get quotes. Rates are all over the place!

·
Registered
31 Posts
OP, the Pa. company is Aegis, treated me very well when I had them, but now have home, auto and bikes with Progressive.

·
Rider
425 Posts
$2,100 per year for full coverage on 8 bikes with Progressive. Bikes range from 2002 to 2020.

·
Rider
368 Posts
Went with Independent Agent on all my Insurance. My 2016 Vintage with full coverage including accessories is $360 year. In October I put the bike in winter hibernation and drop all coverage except comprehensive and get back $245. Not too shabby.

·
Rider
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I contacted a broker got a cheaper rate than I am currently paying on my truck and a good deal on my motorcycle insurance through Safeco / Liberty Mutual. Hate the commercials though.

·
Rider
740 Posts
I have progressive also. Allstate is heavily leveraged in the stock market for the cash flow they need to cover claims. If the stock market is down they have to raise rates to be able to meet claims pay outs. Not a very wise way to conduct business. Progressive has reserves set aside for claims so not nearly as influenced by stock market fluctuations. I'll be surprised if Allstate survives the hit they have taken. They were kind of on the ropes before this downturn.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts