Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
AkrapoVich, AkrapoVick, Akra, AkraPooPoo?
I’ve learned by watching MotoGP that it doesn’t matter how you pronounce it which is why I said it a couple different ways in the video :LOL: Back when MotoGP first returned to Laguna there was an American announcer that used Lorentho and the European announcer used Lorenzo, both got paid to say the same word different ways!:ROFLMAO: It was interesting that an American would pronounce Lorenzo the way the Spanish king demanded, yet the European pronounced it like American english. Go figure.

Tanks for that laugh, when I visit Sloveenia I will be sure to say A Crop of Itch!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Keep us posted, I read the other day from another FTR owner that sent it back because the fit was so poor...
I just got mine and the Akro rear cylinder pipe does not mate into the OEM 'connector pipe'. Too small a diameter on the Akro piping... Slips on slightly (1/4 of an inch), but clearly you can tell just by looking there is no way it would ever slide in properly.

·
Bronze member
2,310 Posts
Can you take a picture in front of your oil cooler showing the bottom of the header?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm going to try your method of installation with the rubber mallet but im skeptical it will fit. Probably will though after seeing it worked for you 😂

Thanks for posting

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you use any copaslip/thermal paste on any of the slip on joints?
Hey Max,

I did use the paste that Akro included in the kit. I think I will pull off the stock headers here again and try installing exactly as shown around 1:08 in the video. But it looks like his went on much easier than mine did in just the initial hand installation there.

·
Bronze member
2,310 Posts
You can always use heat / ice to get them to fit. Since there aren’t gaskets slip together systems often need a bit of persuasion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Okay, I knew I wasn't crazy. Below is their latest response which clears everything up.

Updated news from the main contact who deals with Indian OEM:

There is new update regarding this issue since we get the drawing of OE header from Polaris. R&D guys found out that caliber to check internal diameter of the bush should be 0,5mm bigger. So we already change caliber in production and parts on stock will be reworked in next days. What we will do with parts on the market we are still discussing. Any way conclusion is that internal diameter of the bush should be 0,5mm bigger and this is also the reason for the claims you share with us.

Why our part is even possible to mount on stock (with hammer) is because it seems that majority of the OE pipes are made on minus tolerance (if parts will be made on nominal dimension mounting our pipes is not possible).

Our standard is a perfect fitment on all of our systems, and you should never have to use a rubber mallet during any installation. It will be a bit of time until we get this header corrected. I would suggest filing a warranty claim with your dealer in order to get the process going for your replacement part.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts