Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a FTR1200S Race with the Akrapovic mufflers and was checking out the baffels, it looks like they are spot welded in. Has anyone ever ground off the welds and removed them?
Thanks, Charlie

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
720 Posts
Thats a pretty tall and ambitious task... I don't think it's been done before...

Sorry, just felt like being a smart ass today...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I watched the video and I'm pretty sure I don't have a set screw. I will check it out some more and let you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just did it and it is like the video, But, the set screws were flange bolts with a internal hex and a 8mm external hex. The bad thing was they were spot welded at the flange of the bolt head, it took some effort with the allen wrench to break the weld. I also had to remove the muffs to drive out the baffles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you do this and want to reinstall, does it drop back in and then use the the set screw? considering trying this but also don’t want to piss off all my neighbors all the time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hey, first time poster here. Just took delivery of my MY2020 Carbon. Went straight to the shop and pulled the cat off, link pipe in, instant improvment obvs.
Problem: the akra carbon cover now looks like a huge bag of arse. It is designed to hide the cat box. I took it off and there are three mount points welded directly onto the dual cans, so that's not really an option. Wondering if anyone else has done a cat delete and then put an alternative cover on the Akra dual cans?

Here's the bike with the link pipe installed and cover on.

here's the bike with the akra carbon cover removed 😨
👍

Im guessing my mate who is quite a tidy welder could remove the mount tabs just wondering if anyone has any other ideas?
thanks crew

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hey welcome!
Wasn't aware they had any carbons in AU yet, congrats!

is the pipe that removed the cat the Akra link pipe or another one?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
ok no worries - not sure if the Akra one is different then, i think it includes the 'y' and not sure about tabs

cut them off I recon

·
Registered
2019 FTR Race Replica
12 Posts
I just purchased a FTR1200S Race with the Akrapovic mufflers and was checking out the baffels, it looks like they are spot welded in. Has anyone ever ground off the welds and removed them?
Thanks, Charlie
Just finished the job myself this week; I couldn’t bring myself to drill extra holes in that beautiful exhaust. A little extra work, but well worth it in my opinion. Could easily be done in a day if you’ve got everything you need. I took the pieces to a local machine shop to tack them back together after I knocked out the baffles; had them line the holes up so I can easily re-install the baffles again if I change my mind. Couldn’t be happier with the outcome, you’d never know I had it apart just by looking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts