Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Indian isn't delivering bikes but is posting parts diagrams...

What would the impact be of losing part 11 entirely and replacing 7 & 8 with larger items? Maybe a hose that reaches out away from the engine to fresh air? I did something similar with a car and the result was a substantial gain in horsepower together with more intake noise.

·
Silver member
3,988 Posts
Part 11 is the velocity stacks from the looks of it, don't just delete them. Odds are the bike runs -beyond- horrible.

Enlarging/removing 7 and 8 may help, so may an opening in the front bulge of airbox cover 6 (which may most likely require an opening in the faux grille that resides above it).

Be prepared for a nasty airbox snarl!

unnamed.gif

I wouldn't change anything without the help and/or advice from the likes of Fuel Moto, Dynojet...

·
Silver member
3,988 Posts
Only if the filter element is the obstructing component...

Btw, from what I read, midrange punch is hardly a problem and some testers even liked the normal mode better than sport mode (too brute in sport mode). The only thing that seems to restrict top end power is revs... Maybe there are some gains to get between 6800 and 8500 rpm with better breathing?

ftr1200.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
“Too brute”......... blasphemy! One can only hope this is a problem.
I agree, best to let the experts sort out the fine tuning over the next couple of months. I think there is a lot of left over power hiding in this set up. Let the improvement wars begin! Full exhaust is my first step, just so it sounds better! [headphone]

·
Registered
69 Posts
The thinking is that this puppy is gonna scare the poo out of a lot to most of the yahoo's climbing aboard and going WFO.
Like the first ride on a 2 stroke Kaw 750 wif expansion chambers, tuning cones and clip on's, yee-haw.
But no frame flex on the Indian.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of now, this is all just bench racing (since we can't be out actually RIDING the bike!)

It's the dropoff in the middle that I think has the most potential for improvement. It looks to me like an engine that's struggling to get enough air as it transitions from low to mid-range to top end. Noise canceling restrictions on the intake airflow are my prime suspects.

But again, only actually riding the thing will tell.

·
Diamond member
8,506 Posts
I agree with some on here saying it would need some support. Often, removing an air box leads to a cool sound, at a loss of power or drive ability with out changing fuel mapping, especially down low, and mid range.

·
Diamond member
8,506 Posts
Part 11 is the velocity stacks from the looks of it, don't just delete them. Odds are the bike runs -beyond- horrible.

Enlarging/removing 7 and 8 may help, so may an opening in the front bulge of airbox cover 6 (which may most likely require an opening in the faux grille that resides above it).

Be prepared for a nasty airbox snarl!

View attachment 488112

I wouldn't change anything without the help and/or advice from the likes of Fuel Moto, Dynojet...
Looks to me like 7 and 8 are where it gets cold air from. Removing will likely result in taking in Hot over the engine air..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks to me like 7 and 8 are where it gets cold air from. Removing will likely result in taking in Hot over the engine air..
Yes. 7&8 look like intake tubes that run between the frame trellis. If they prove to be restrictive, there might be room to the left of the airbox. It would require a relocated or smaller coolant expansion tank, but could provide a much less restrictive path to cold air.

I'll be very interested in the size of the velocity stacks. I've seen auto applications that use restrictions there to limit intake noise. Straight stacks that match the throttle body diameter could be just the ticket there. Because who doesn't like a little more growl from a motor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts