Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on here a while back about guys relocating the shock air valve to the right side. How does it mount? I have the material to make the bracket but it doesn’t look like there’s room for it to slide down in between the chrome case and the engine casting.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,126 Posts
I routed mine behind the jugs. Lead the line between everything under the seat. Use one of the engine bolts to mount a bracket for it.

·
Rider
687 Posts
I had picked up a bracket from a member here that was making donations to a veterans group with the proceeds. It is a very simple, easily made "L" bracket that puts the air valve between the shock and the left frame rail, not too far from it's original location. It took a little finessing to get it in there, but well worth the effort to not have to pull the side cover just to check/adjust the shock.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
I'm pondering actually drilling a hole in the side cover to access the air valve and covering the hole with a nice, decorative grommet or cover? Anyone do this or am I way out of line in damaging the side cover?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,126 Posts
I'm pondering actually drilling a hole in the side cover to access the air valve and covering the hole with a nice, decorative grommet or cover? Anyone do this or am I way out of line in damaging the side cover?
I wouldn't want to put a hole in the cover. It would probably look out of place, and hinder removal should you need to get in there for fuses, etc.

·
German Rider
1,943 Posts

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Done that without any Probs..
40mm Extension
Cu,
Sven
I wasn't thinking of the extension but that's a great idea. I was thinking keeping the valve at the present location, drilling a hole just large enough to access and remove the valve cover and using some sort of black, rubber grommet plug/decorative (chrome) plug to access. Since my bike is black already, the black, rubber grommet would work and be semi-inconspicuous. I'll consider the extension idea, however, as that would make it much easier to access but, knowing me, I'd hit it with my boot every time I get on or off.

·
German Rider
1,943 Posts
I wasn't thinking of the extension but that's a great idea. I was thinking keeping the valve at the present location, drilling a hole just large enough to access and remove the valve cover and using some sort of black, rubber grommet plug/decorative (chrome) plug to access. Since my bike is black already, the black, rubber grommet would work and be semi-inconspicuous. I'll consider the extension idea, however, as that would make it much easier to access but, knowing me, I'd hit it with my boot every time I get on or off.
Worked for me. It is only about 5mm outside the cover. Till today no probs with boots from wifey on the passenger seat.

Bought the extension for a few bucks from ebay. Made from brass, got it's own valve (so there is now a second valve).

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
586 Posts
Anyone have issues with air leaking ? After several attempts I used white teflon tape at the shock, connection to the extension and the end adapter. Appears to work now. But everytime I check, the damn pressure gauge(theirs and mine) loses 5 lbs in just that quick little psst.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Anyone have issues with air leaking ? After several attempts I used white teflon tape at the shock, connection to the extension and the end adapter. Appears to work now. But everytime I check, the damn pressure gauge(theirs and mine) loses 5 lbs in just that quick little psst.
Yes, lose 3-5 psi when disconnecting, so 3 additional pumps usually works.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just ordered one of these air shock extension kits from George's Gadgets online.... Its true, the extension valve can be bought on Ebay for around $25.00 - $30.00 but this guy offers the bracket, its painted and pre drilled already and takes all the guess work out of it for only $45.00 with free shipping and no tax... Kit for Air Shock Relocation - Indian Motorcycle - GeorgeGadgets.com

·
Registered
468 Posts
This was my posting on the free relocation bracket for making a donation to our non-profit:

I quit asking the person making them for me to do more. He had already sent me more than I could have hoped for. Anyway, I still have 7 brackets. (5 are stainless and 2 are aluminum).
I will send out these last 7 brackets to the first 7 that make the donation. Donations received after the 7 will be refunded. The first 5 brackets will be the stainless and the last 2 the aluminum.

To get your free bracket go to the donation page on our website and make a donation. In the “Add special instructions to the seller” mention the bracket and include your mailing address (U.S. only) and forum name. Installation instructions are included. I'm not going to tell you how much to donate. I appreciate and will send you one for any donation, but please keep in mind what the other solutions requiring an extension hose would cost. Remember, this is a tax deductible donation to a charity. If you'd like to cover the cost of shipping just add an additional $3.50 to your donation.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts