Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 17 Chieftain and have a question on the shock. Aired shock up to 75psi do to a passenger riding a long. Passenger canceled. Went for a 200 mile ride. Then bike sat in garage. I checked the air pressure in 6 days and the pressure was at 63 psi. Dealer said your going to loose a little pressure going over bumps and that sort of things. That does make sense I think. I also know that when checking pressure I'm going to loose 1-2 psi right? I did the water spray on valve with showing no leaks. The question is. Riding 200 miles and bike sitting for 6 days. Is loosing about 10 psi the normal?

·
Bronze member
4,327 Posts
I have a 17 Chieftain and have a question on the shock. Aired shock up to 75psi do to a passenger riding a long. Passenger canceled. Went for a 200 mile ride. Then bike sat in garage. I checked the air pressure in 6 days and the pressure was at 63 psi. Dealer said your going to loose a little pressure going over bumps and that sort of things. That does make sense I think. I also know that when checking pressure I'm going to loose 1-2 psi right? I did the water spray on valve with showing no leaks. The question is. Riding 200 miles and bike sitting for 6 days. Is loosing about 10 psi the normal?

Unforunatley this is pretty much the case. Also you loose 5 PSI every time you attach the pump. So always inflate 5 PSI more than you need as you will loose 5 PSI when you disconnect the pump. Air shocks will always loose air since it is pretty difficult to make an air-tight seal that moves. Wonder if this is why they went away from air shocks on the Challenger.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
True the air pump supplied does change by 5 lbs on removal, Therefore you pump up to 80lbs (5 lbs more) and then remove pump valve to have about 75 in shock bladder.
Then when you reconnect the pump right away you should see 75lbs. This will verify how much your losing. You can repeat this test several times to check accuracy.
I had a leaker I couldnt find. Went in for service for a 19 chieftain DH and they put a new shrader valve and said try it.
Nope it lost roughly 25 lbs in 200 miles or 1 day. So I returned to dealer for replacement.
The replacement shock assembly now holds air decently about 5-7 lbs a month.
To be honest no air shock will be leak free. But shouldnt lose more than few pounds a month with all conditions being same.
In other words if you check it after a ride the shock is warmer and pressure is higher and in lower temps say wherever the bike is parked determines a pressure difference.
All air bladder vessels leak a few lbs over time but to leak 10 or more lbs in 200 miles could be considered as excessive in 6 days.
Any air shock seems very practical but real world conditions dictate different.
Dont know how much warrantee if any you may have but keep an eye on this checking with same temps like next day after ride.
Just like tires the pressure will go up some after riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
True the air pump supplied does change by 5 lbs on removal, Therefore you pump up to 80lbs (5 lbs more) and then remove pump valve to have about 75 in shock bladder.
Then when you reconnect the pump right away you should see 75lbs. This will verify how much your losing. You can repeat this test several times to check accuracy.
I had a leaker I couldnt find. Went in for service for a 19 chieftain DH and they put a new shrader valve and said try it.
Nope it lost roughly 25 lbs in 200 miles or 1 day. So I returned to dealer for replacement.
The replacement shock assembly now holds air decently about 5-7 lbs a month.
To be honest no air shock will be leak free. But shouldnt lose more than few pounds a month with all conditions being same.
In other words if you check it after a ride the shock is warmer and pressure is higher and in lower temps say wherever the bike is parked determines a pressure difference.
All air bladder vessels leak a few lbs over time but to leak 10 or more lbs in 200 miles could be considered as excessive in 6 days.
Any air shock seems very practical but real world conditions dictate different.
Dont know how much warrantee if any you may have but keep an eye on this checking with same temps like next day after ride.
Just like tires the pressure will go up some after riding.
Good info here; my 2019 Chieftain DH rear shock did not hold ANY air when bike was delivered new; goes to Dealer Monday to see if valve or shock is bad.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
Mine was empty originally on delivery too.
I filled it up to 55lbs
And then down the road a bit I see what you are seeing.
Dont worry. They will eventually change it out. Might be told to try valve like my dealer was told to do but it will get there where it holds air.
Mine does now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rear shock now holds air; issue was not with the valve or the shock, but with the short braided line that connects the valve to the shock. Repair report stated that the line was "porous"; replaced under warranty.

·
Bronze member
2,278 Posts
Mine aired down in a few days from day 1. Fairly common unfortunately. Not a big deal, just pump it back up, good to go.

·
Rider
1,248 Posts
Rear shock now holds air; issue was not with the valve or the shock, but with the short braided line that connects the valve to the shock. Repair report stated that the line was "porous"; replaced under warranty.
Awsome!
That shock is really nice performance when it works and doesnt leak.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Geez, I must have a Unicorn! I bought a used Chieftain air shock and put it on my Vintage. I don't lose air when I disconnect the pump as I use a real air-shock pump. I set the pressure, rode over 4,000 miles in 10 days and the pressure was the same when I was done. Let the bike set 2 weeks and the pressure is the same. It sounds like maybe I have the only one in existence!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts