Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering switching my air intake. But before shelling out the bucks for it I wanted to know if it's worth it from a performance stand point.

I have the tab zombie slip ons with a fuelmoto map and I noticed an improvement from the stock set-up. If I replace the air intake, will I notice even further improvements or will it be minimal compared to the price?

Lastly, what would be the best air intake that will work with my current zombie setup? By the way, it is a 2019 chief dark horse.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i have yet to own a car or motorcycle that didnt make more power when using a intake designed for flow better then the giant oem air boxes

·
Bronze member
1,449 Posts
Your "set-up" is nothing special and those mufflers are a basic exhaust mod. The Indian round intake is a good intake, there are other companies that make intakes and most WILL offer a performance benefit.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your "set-up" is nothing special and those mufflers are a basic exhaust mod. The Indian round intake is a good intake, there are other companies that make intakes and most WILL offer a performance benefit.

RACNRAY
So the Indian high air flow is better than their performance intake?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I swapped from the Indian Stage1 intake to the Vic Baggers Venom Plenum....i felt a difference, definately an improvement.
go with the Venom Plenum for performance, or go with Indian for "Bling-Bling" good looks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swapped from the Indian Stage1 intake to the Vic Baggers Venom Plenum....i felt a difference, definately an improvement.
go with the Venom Plenum for performance, or go with Indian for "Bling-Bling" good looks.
I looked that one up. That's not a bad claim in gains HP wise. They do recommend using a fuel controller. Would tuning it with the pv3 be enough?

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
I would follow any and all advice @RACNRAY gives. I am fortunate enough to be close enough to Ray, that he works on my bike on a semi-regular basis, and he will never recommend anything that the bike doesn't need. I have seen him do the same to every customer who walks or rides through his doors. As soon as my warranty is past on my bike, Ray will do 100% of the work.
I am also fortunate that he is a friend, brother, and riding buddy.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would follow any and all advice @RACNRAY gives. I am fortunate enough to be close enough to Ray, that he works on my bike on a semi-regular basis, and he will never recommend anything that the bike doesn't need. I have seen him do the same to every customer who walks or rides through his doors. As soon as my warranty is past on my bike, Ray will do 100% of the work.
I am also fortunate that he is a friend, brother, and riding buddy.
Thanks for the tip!

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Thanks for the tip!
On my Dark Horse I have the Stage 1 round a/c, Freedom Performance True Dual head pipes, Rinehart slipons, and Stage 2 cams. My future plans are to add a PCVX with @CraigB1960 tuning, and if I can find set of Stage 3 cams, I'll have @RACNRAY modify and install them.
@30PlusRetlaw has gone a super-performance route with his Dark Horse Chieftain. He can detail his mods for you, once he gets this nudge.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
If the question is,

Will an OEM airbox with a K&N filter supply as much air as is needed for the engine,

the answer is yes.

If the question is,

Will a (relatively) wide-open aftermarket air filter flow more air than the above when on a dyno

the answer is also yes.

The stock airbox needs the bike to be moving for the airflow to enter the inlet at the front of the frame and get the air into the sealed airbox.

If you want a new airbox for the appearance, that is 100% okay, (I spent $650 just to get the exhaust tips I wanted).

But at speed, the stock airbox system delivers approximately twice as much air as the engine requires at any RPM.

HTH.

WD./

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the question is,

Will an OEM airbox with a K&N filter supply as much air as is needed for the engine,

the answer is yes.

If the question is,

Will a (relatively) wide-open aftermarket air filter flow more air than the above when on a dyno

the answer is also yes.

The stock airbox needs the bike to be moving for the airflow to enter the inlet at the front of the frame and get the air into the sealed airbox.

If you want a new airbox for the appearance, that is 100% okay, (I spent $650 just to get the exhaust tips I wanted).

But at speed, the stock airbox system delivers approximately twice as much air as the engine requires at any RPM.

HTH.

WD./

Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying it is more cost effective to replace the stock filter with a K&N filter? Will that need a remap?

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
Maybe. It's in a grey area. But for best performance, I would have it remapped.

After I had the Stage 1 mufflers installed, I left it as it was.

After I bought the K&N, I rode to the dealer, had them install the air filter and remap it to the Indian Stage 1. I subsequently bought the PCVX and have their Stage 1 map.

Bike runs like a top.

HTH.

WD./

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but are you saying it is more cost effective to replace the stock filter with a K&N filter? Will that need a remap?
I ran the K&N filter in my bed pan for about 2 years, no remap, and it ran great. It's very cost effective, at around $80.

·
Bronze member
2,169 Posts
Also, I left the bike with the Stage 1 map and it slowly crept up to 41.4 MPG and ran pretty nice, I was happy.

But 2 tanks back it seemed to me that it was running even better and when I filled up I calc'd that I had gotten 44+ MPG.

I thought it was just my imagination and maybe an issue with the tank filling etc.

But on the next fillup, it was 44.1 MPG again and the bike really did seem like it was running better than it had been.

I checked with one of the resident experts on here and he confirmed that the ECU accumulates data from the various runs and then after a while consolidates the info into a self-update.

That is what the bike did between my PVCX mapping some months back and a few weeks back.

The improvement is not as much as when going from box stock to Stage 1 but it is close.

I'm pretty happy overall.

HTH.

WD./

·
Senior member / gold
6,247 Posts
My bike, with the K&N filter and no remap, ran richer, less mpg, but ran great. My opinion is, that the remap brings the bike's tune to the very lean EPA standards. I also bought a used set of Stage 1 slipons, also no remap. The bike always ran great. The mpg always hovered around 36mpg, but I'm always heavy on the throttle! Lol!

·
Registered
711 Posts
What will dictate what you will buy is your budget. VP60 are expensive, Voodos are beautiful and flow great and the Lloyds look good and flow good. These 3 are top of the line but not for someone with a slim wallet. BTW I'm making this comment because people see the prices and complain. I have the VP60, pipes and PVCX and my bike was running great. Just keep the 50mm TB and save the 60mm until you add cams. Or you can buy the VP without the TB. The Tab zombie are not special when it comes to performance but they do sound good. I have Tab also and love the sound.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
2711D114-FB11-44DC-961B-0A8E502CF108.jpeg
I went a different route than the $500-$600 air cleaner, installed a K&N and spent less than $75.00 for air filter and breather filter. Took the money saved and installed a gutted header from American Custom, had the retune done by Fuel Moto, milage has jumped from 36mpg to 39mpg. My Springfield is still tight with only 2,000 miles on it, milage will go up, once I get around 5,000 or more miles on it. Well worth a little effort. Bolt-ons are nice but in my opinion way overpriced. But that is what makes it fun, doing what you feel is best for you.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What will dictate what you will buy is your budget. VP60 are expensive, Voodos are beautiful and flow great and the Lloyds look good and flow good. These 3 are top of the line but not for someone with a slim wallet. BTW I'm making this comment because people see the prices and complain. I have the VP60, pipes and PVCX and my bike was running great. Just keep the 50mm TB and save the 60mm until you add cams. Or you can buy the VP without the TB. The Tab zombie are not special when it comes to performance but they do sound good. I have Tab also and love the sound.
I was looking at the voodoo, I also like how it looks. What is the TB? If I end up getting the voodoo do I need to get something else? Thanks for all the info.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts