Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys looking for some info here, I just installed the indian performance air box kit myself and it all went fine, just noticed at the end of the instruction sheet it says do not operate vehicle until recalibration (flash) is complete. Seeing that I have to bring it to the dealer to have the flash done, by operating it obviously, is this a problem? I can’t believe it would really make a difference, just curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm sure that you'll be fine. It will run hot. Just do your best to keep the speed up (for cooling) and avoid stop and go traffic

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm sure that you'll be fine. It will run hot. Just do your best to keep the speed up (for cooling) and avoid stop and go traffic
No, actually.

The engine will run hot, but because it is running lean -- a condition you don't want to allow for long.

Yes, re-flash, but even better, get yourself a PCVX fuel/timing tuner and have infinite ability to tune your engine to whatever mods you might do in the future.

·
Rider
381 Posts
I installed the stage 1 a/c and exhaust myself and then drove it to the dealer (60 miles at highway speeds) for the 2 flashes. Seemed to run ok on the way there but it was better after the 2 flashes.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No, actually.

The engine will run hot, but because it is running lean -- a condition you don't want to allow for long.

Yes, re-flash, but even better, get yourself a PCVX fuel/timing tuner and have infinite ability to tune your engine to whatever mods you might do in the future.
The OP was just asking about the ride from his house to his dealership

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I did stage 1 pipes and a/c and it ran perfect for months. Then I decided to have the flash done because everyone said I had to, and wished I never did. It ran way better before. BTW the flash doesn't do anything more than return it to stock fuel/air mix. A flash is a flash and there's only one.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Had those issues with the recall flash on my 2015 Chieftain with Stage Two Cams, so bought a PVCX from FuelMoto with their custom map and flashed the ECU, issues resolved.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
144 Posts
Seeing that I have to bring it to the dealer to have the flash done, by operating it obviously, is this a problem? I can’t believe it would really make a difference, just curious.
When I did the stage one and installed a high flow air filter, tried to ride to dealer 80 miles out, didn't make it 1/2 mile down the road. Motor tapping like Fred Astaire! Engine light came on. Turned around and had to remove air filter back to stock. Was able to ride to dealer, install air filter there and flash done.
Of course, you posted 2 weeks back, and you didn't say you did the stage 1 exhaust so... how did it go? I've read that just adding a high flow filter doesn't work to it's full potential until changing exhaust.

·
Registered
198 Posts
People have been selling slightly used Dobek EJKs for cheap in the parts for sale section...knowing what I know now, if I was doing stage 1 only I would pick up one of those..way better than a factory flash, and probably cost 125.00 or so...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts