Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gotten or used an "air bag vest". Looks legit and was thinking of getting one at least for my son when he rides with me.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I have read good revues on the vests, but don't 'demonstrate' how it works to a buddy.
I hear it costs about $40.00 to refit the vest.

·
Registered
962 Posts
moto gp riders swear by them. Don't know if they are the same though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have read good revues on the vests, but don't 'demonstrate' how it works to a buddy.
I hear it costs about $40.00 to refit the vest.
It's normally just a $20-$25 CO2 canister so you can reset on the go if u accidentally deploy it

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've been using a "HitAir" mesh jacket for a couple years now. It also sports shoulder/forearm armor as well as a spine pad. Good looking jacket and you "feel" protected. Never deployed it yet. The co2 cartridge sits high in a right front zippered shoulder pocket and looks like your packing serious heat. Overall, I like it. Hot in the summer tho.
-Steve-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been using a "HitAir" mesh jacket for a couple years now. It also sports shoulder/forearm armor as well as a spine pad. Good looking jacket and you "feel" protected. Never deployed it yet. The co2 cartridge sits high in a right front zippered shoulder pocket and looks like your packing serious heat. Overall, I like it. Hot in the summer tho.
-Steve-
Can you wear the vest under your normal riding gear

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
It's normally just a $20-$25 CO2 canister so you can reset on the go if u accidentally deploy it
I was just going by an article in "Motorcycle Consumer News" that said that the particular vest that they did the article on was about $40.00 for the refill set up!
BUT.... I did look it up and you are right on the prices, my memory of 4 months ago was fragile at the least.
Here is the digital page of the article......
Motorcycle Consumer News - September 2016 - 48

·
Rider
360 Posts
I like the idea of this vest but I'm not crazy about the price of $600. And I suppose it is required to be worn OVER the jacket, thereby negating the "coolness" of my customized Indian leather jacket. Like a helmet though, definately more safer.

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
Dang those things are expensive. I'll be very honest here, I don't think I'm worth that. Heck a $99 helmet was questionable. :D

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
It's Cheaper than my life and only have to buy once
But see, I'm older than dirt and already seen what's on the other side once so this body ain't worth saving a second time.:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya it's something I was looking more for my son when he rides with me... he's 7 do you think that's too young?

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
This thing would have to be in neon yellow with reflective stripes before I would wear it.
How about an inventory tag, like on a body bag?
That way they would know where to send the remains after the accident without doing a bunch of snooping in your wallet or cellphone.

I'd also like to see "Tip Pockets" with little indelible tags on the flap.
That way you could label them...One for the cops, another for the ambulance crew, then one for the wrecker driver, yet another for the ER team.
Put a C-Note in each little pouch for the thoughtful handling of your remains....Think like a pirates gold ear ring here......final arrangements.

·
Registered
77 Posts
moving right along.....
Bikebone.com is where the kids picked up my jacket. ...and yeah, the prices will set you back in your seat.

-Steve-

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
moving right along.....
Bikebone.com is where the kids picked up my jacket. ...and yeah, the prices will set you back in your seat.

-Steve-
are you able to wear the vest under your normal riding gear

1 - 16 of 16 Posts