Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy guys…awaiting the arrival of my new bike, I'm searching on web more news about Indian motorcycles (pro e cons, problems, issues, opinions, enthusiasts, detractors ecc) and for case I've read this article which forecast a failure of the Polaris/Indian project and poors sales of the Chief…I think he is wrong.What do you think?
Indian Motorcycle

·
Registered
425 Posts
Man, this article is not very well written. Besides that it is old, and most of the concerns have been addressed, since the bike has been out for two years, and they have come out with the Scout and it does look modern.

I COMPLETELY disagree with this paragraph, as I am sure every reader here would agree (or we would not be on this forum):

The Indian "look" if too old looking will wear off quickly. If Polaris keeps the old look with giant flared fenders of the old Indian it will be a big mistake. People today really do not want vintage bikes. They want new bikes that look modern. The first year or so of Indian production may go over, but it will soon die out. We live in the digital space age. Few want to ride what appears as a vintage museum piece. Resurrected Indian died many deaths due to the "old look" on a new bike. It's okay to have a line up of vintage and modern bikes like Harley has and that is what Polaris/Indian will need to do too. But hey, they must begin at some point and so far with the engine they are on the right track. In time they will make more models, but will they all be high-price Custom Vehicle monsters few can afford to buy?

One thing I hear more than anything else is that everyone stops you to look at the classic styling. I helped with the ride event at a local AZ rally last month, and I never stopped riding. People (most sporting Harley gear) were lined up to try this thing out. Hardly anyone was riding the Victorys right next to them, though they are a nice looking bike. If you want a modern looking bike, you would go to Victory. Well, no one was riding those - at least not like the Indians. People LOVE nostalgia and classic looks.

Why do so many classic Coke signs and memorabilia? We love that kind of stuff. However, that stuff is usually more expensive because it has had to be restored, rebuilt, or recreated.

I immediately perked up when I saw that Polaris was taking over the Indian name, and they were starting at $18,999. They are at least in competition now! Then, along comes the Scout. If I didn't already have my heart set on the Vintage I would most certainly go for the Scout.

I have recently helped young riders to get their motorcycle safety course, license, and start looking seriously at the Scout. For $10,999 it is within the price range of anyone who can qualify for a loan, and if you can't qualify, you would have difficulty getting anything else as well. This is definitely a great bike that competes with all but the smallest bikes for price point. It puts a new, reliable bike within reach for anyone who is interested. Yes, there are others, but the point he was making was that Indian may be over priced and now fit into the market like in the past.

Over all, I think most of the comments of this article have been addressed, and he came out with his article prematurely. He isn't a professional writer or a big name, so just wait and see if the "proof is in the pudding". Anyhow, just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Wrong wrong wrong. Just look at what the automakers did with their revivals. Sales through the roof. Baby boomers have deep pockets I think If you love Indian you love them.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Another know-it-all on a Sportster telling the industry what is wrong. I bet he gives financial counseling and is a life coach also.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
I couldn't even read it all. He contradicts himself a few times and is (was?) pretty clueless about what the public wants. If we didn't want the "old style" or "nostalgic" look, then HD would have quit producing Softails, especially Heritage and Springer Softails after 6 months.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
He sounded like just another HD rider predicting the failure of Indian before they even got started. I'm surprised the words "It isn't a REAL Indian" weren't in there somewhere.

·
Registered
433 Posts
The Indian bikes are a modern rendition of the classic model. Can't tell you how many thumbs up's I get when riding + compliments. They are head turners. There are Harley's that illicit that response also. That is his weakest point. If he doesn't like the look, he doesn't need to buy one. I like Mercedes not too fond of BMW. You get the point??

·
Registered
958 Posts
Well that's some article. I suggest he sit on his 1200 custom sportster and get his ass handed to him by someone on a Scout. He does make some favorable comments about engine, but when it comes down to it, he's still in love with his Sportster ? Ok dude. I don't get that many looks aboard my Chieftain, but the Vintage models sure bring a smile to peoples faces. They are unique and so well styled, they're what a modern Indian would look like. The bikes will change if the market demands they do, then look out HD. Remember this is only the first year and first attempt. You meet the nicest people on a Honda

·
Founding member
950 Posts
I have seen this guys articles before. He goes on long winded tirades about various things. He despises mechanics, Muslims, Twin cam 88s, Foreign motorcycles, But likes trap shooting and Sportsters and give business and life advise. Everybody is free to there own opinion. But he begins to sound like a crazy windbag. Nobodies putting a gun to your head. Buy what you like and screw what anybody else thinks. You simply need to go to various dealers. Test ride as many and possible then decide what you like. Us guys here think you will like the Indian.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have seen this guys articles before. He goes on long winded tirades about various things. He despises mechanics, Muslims, Twin cam 88s, Foreign motorcycles, But likes trap shooting and Sportsters and give business and life advise. Everybody is free to there own opinion. But he begins to sound like a crazy windbag. Nobodies putting a gun to your head. Buy what you like and screw what anybody else thinks. You simply need to go to various dealers. Test ride as many and possible then decide what you like. Us guys here think you will like the Indian.
I agree I saw some of his other topics and most are more of the same, as you said. He has a lengthy list of places you shouldn't do business with, etc. Get a life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just purchased a 2015 Chief Vintage and, to my eyes, it is beautiful - a perfect blend of nostalgia and technology. I also own a 2014 Harley Ultra Limited, which I love as well. The fact that this *writer* bashes the old styling of the Indian as compared to a Harley Sportster had me literally laughing out loud. You can call Harley Davidson a lot of things, but to imply that they are modern as compared to the new Indian is laughable.

While the rest of the motorcycle industry derides HD for being stuck in the past, this guy implies they're on the vanguard of modern design. Incredible.... Hey, it's on the internet, so it's got to be true, right?

Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,857 Posts
If that dolt only knew, LOL. I can't take #37 out for a ride without compliments, stares, pointed at, thumbs up, and pictures.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The fact that his website looks like something built in 1997 told me that he is an idiot without ever reading any of the text, which i didnt.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Yeah, I've read some of his stuff too and can't agree with all of it.
I sure don't agree with what he said about Indian.

But I also have to give credit where credit is due.
He was one of the first to step out and call Harley on that piece of junk twin cam engine.
I agree with him when he said the EVO was the best motor that they ever made.

The factories problem with the EVO is that it never wears out.
I had 300,000 miles on mine when I traded it in on my Indian.
Wait a minute....let me re-think this....If Harley was still making the EVO then I would probably be on a new Harley instead of an Indian.
Never mind....Thank You Motor Company!
The Twin Cam engine is the best thing you never did to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts