Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considered buying the Indian Tour Pack, but just couldn't bring myself to shell out that much money. Found the XFMT tour pack on Amazon, and decided to take a chance on it. At less than $300, it's not that big of a risk. Wanted to be able to put a full face helmet inside, so went the with the King size. I went with the OEM Indian quick disconnect mount ($500), and took my time lining up the trunk and marking the holes. The contours on the bottom of the trunk didn't match up very well with the Indian mount, but it worked out. After getting the trunk mounted, next came the backrest pad. No matter what I tried, there ended up being a 1/4" gap between the bottom edge of the pad and the trunk lid. I found some weather stripping on Amazon that filled the gap nicely. After the installation was complete, I was happy. However, the second day, the latch broke. I purchased the Advanblack latch at $89, and it mounted using the existing holes for the original latch. Lastly, I found a Indian tank emblem on ebay, and attached it to the back of the trunk lid. Overall, I'm very happy with this aftermarket tour pack. Time will tell how well it holds up, but is seems to be pretty solid. Link to the XFMT tour pack and photos below.

·
Registered
56 Posts
How did you mark where to make the holes in the base of the trunk? I had thought to make a template out of cardboard?
Sorry for the English half mine half Google translator.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did you mark where to make the holes in the base of the trunk? I had thought to make a template out of cardboard?
Sorry for the English half mine half Google translator.
I installed the quick disconnect mount on the bike, and placed the trunk on it. I put a strap around the trunk, and secured it to the mount so it wouldn't move around. Then, carefully measured all sides and corners to ensure the trunk was perfectly centered, and tightened the strap to prevent any movement. Then, I marked the holes from the bottom by sticking a white grease pencil up through the bottom of the quick disconnect mount holes and marking the bottom of the trunk. Be sure to mount the trunk far enough back to leave adequate room for a passenger. Also, it helped a lot to have the bike sitting up straight . . . on a jack stand or in a wheel chock. It was a bit of a tedious project, but really not that bad. Good luck, and let me know how it turns out if you decide to do it.

·
Rider
423 Posts
Thought about this too but just couldn't bring myself to put a Harley style tour pack on my Indian. I do think they look better with the newer style Chieftains with the more squared off bags though. Looks good on that bike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thought about this too but just couldn't bring myself to put a Harley style tour pack on my Indian. I do think they look better with the newer style Chieftains with the more squared off bags though. Looks good on that bike
Well, if it makes you feel any better, it's not actually a HD manufactured product. It's Chinese made (which isn't much better), but designed to fit HD mounts.

·
Bronze member
2,248 Posts
I have used the same trunk with backrest pad, but mounted to an early hack quick release base.

While I like the trunk itself ... I had a hard time adjusting the position of the trunk to allow for a relaxed, slightly (but not too much) leaned back position for my wife. Similar to the OE passenger back rest.
Most of the challenge probably was that my hacked quick release base was a bit short so the end of the base was at the end in the middle of the trunk base with quite some lever.
I might reconsider getting one of the meanwhile available aftermarket trunk bases.

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.