Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any luck sourcing an aftermarket starter for the TS111? P/I mighty proud of theirs, @ $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Silver member
5,193 Posts
That's what I pay for starters for my old EVO. That is one part that hasn't changed much in price for years.

But depending on what is wrong a good auto electric shop can probably rebuild it for you...

Reactions: IMARIDER

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The gear/spline seems to have a lot of resistance when I turn it by hand so I’ll assume this isn’t normal

·
Registered
1,793 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Installed new starter and new Duracell AGM battery and she fired right up; OEM battery passed load test at battery store but still not convinced it had juice, since I could smell burning electrical trying to crank her.
This starter looks just like OEM , same brand Lucas-TVS, made in India so I guess it’s Indian, lol!

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
@Gronk ...how is that starter doing? while back i had mine out and apart to clean and service, but it's starting to fail and the one you got seems to be the exact unit that comes on the skoot.

THANX

Reactions: bucksmokewhite18

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
I ordered one directly from Discount starter, $92.97! Thanks so much for the link and I'll let u'all know my results.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ordered one directly from Discount starter, $92.97! Thanks so much for the link and I'll let u'all know my results.

RACNRAY
Great, just be careful and do not over tighten the power stud.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interested as well. Also, has anyone tried this starter? Starter Indian Motorcycles Heavy Duty
I bought that starter motor and it's the identical starter motor that you get for 92 dollars made my Lucas TVS in India, the sticker and part # match the 92 dollar one. I'm not sure why they call it high torque or heavy duty, its sitting on my shelf in the garage as a spare but its definatly not heavy duty or high torque as they advertise over 150 down the drain !!

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
GEEZE...got it today. I werk on Saturdays but was gonna take the day off and be lazy. Guess I'll put this thing on

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
I performed a side by side bench test of the old and the new starters. In comparison, the new strtr seemed to spin up a little bit faster and had a smoother sound as to what wuz goin on inside. The differences were small but noticeable and I really did not have hi hopes for much of an improvement.

BOY OH BOY wuz I wrong!!! When I hit the strtr button the engine cranked SO MUCH FASTER and lit up right away...I wuz NOT expecting such a huge improvement, kinda scared me!! Even from day one this engine NEVER cranked this fast!!

One problem that wuz occurring for quite some time was an intake backfire during the very slow cranking process, so I am curious if that will be eliminated.

So many THANX to @Gronk for the info...MUCH APPRECIATED.

RACNRAY

Reactions: bucksmokewhite18

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Thanks for the info fellas...crazy how they can market that as “heavy duty” when they just charge more, wouldn’t buy anything from them from now on.
Also, how was the install? Pretty straight forward Racnray?

·
Bronze member
1,766 Posts
InstallatIon was not bad at all specially since I already had the starter out b4 and I kinda remembered how to do it.
Rode the skoot 2nite and it's just incredible how quick it starts! And so far no intake backfire.

Reactions: Ace22

·
Registered
245 Posts
Can someone describe in general how to replace the starter on a 2018 Roadmaster? I believe I see the starter up in the front of the engine and it looks pretty accessible. Do you need to disassemble anything to get enough access to remove and replace it? Do you need any special tools?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can someone describe in general how to replace the starter on a 2018 Roadmaster? I believe I see the starter up in the front of the engine and it looks pretty accessible. Do you need to disassemble anything to get enough access to remove and replace it? Do you need any special tools?
I have a vintage so not sure if fairing is in the way or not, but be sure to use double box wrenches when loosening the power lead and same when retightening it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts