Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Mainly asking about the Challenger) Has anyone who has installed aftermarket slip-ons without the stage one "flash" or some type of tune, experienced any issues? I have installed the TAB Zombie baffles and do not have the stage one intake, hopefully that's coming soon (just gotta work some overtime). This is the only performance add on to the bike. I haven't noticed any difference in performance, but the bike has shut off on me twice while coming to a stop and holding in on the clutch. I love the sound of these slip-ons, they really wake this machine up. I've put about 300 miles on the bike since adding these and other than the 2 times the bike has cut off I have no issues or complaints. Not sure if this was due to the slip-ons or not because the bike has cut off on me one time before adding them. I have about 4,000 mile on the bike. Just curious if anyone has had any issues or suggestions.

·
Rider
859 Posts
My Chieftain did that after I put Bam Sticks on it because it was too lean. When I installed the Power Vision using the stock tune it cured it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not a direct compare to your setup & question....
At 1000mi I added Stage1Air + reflash. Liked it. At 1500mi added TAB 2-1-2 decat & TAB pipes with 1.75” baffs. Simply did not want the Zombie loudness, plus wanted some backpressure.
Compared to stock... idle to 2000rpm, deeper tone & slightly louder. 2500+ sound really comes alive with snap & deep growl. Side by side with buddy having SAME setup except 2.5 baffles... same sound bite but it happens sooner accelerating.
Really happy with this combo; engine feels smooth-strong idle to limiter.

With a good tune later this engine is gonna be darn close to perfection my opin.

·
Registered
565 Posts
(Mainly asking about the Challenger) Has anyone who has installed aftermarket slip-ons without the stage one "flash" or some type of tune, experienced any issues? I have installed the TAB Zombie baffles and do not have the stage one intake, hopefully that's coming soon (just gotta work some overtime). This is the only performance add on to the bike. I haven't noticed any difference in performance, but the bike has shut off on me twice while coming to a stop and holding in on the clutch. I love the sound of these slip-ons, they really wake this machine up. I've put about 300 miles on the bike since adding these and other than the 2 times the bike has cut off I have no issues or complaints. Not sure if this was due to the slip-ons or not because the bike has cut off on me one time before adding them. I have about 4,000 mile on the bike. Just curious if anyone has had any issues or suggestions.
This issue is common. I have had the same thing happen at idle. Pull in the clutch when it is warmed up, and the idle. I now click it into neutral at a light. The stock and stage 1 idle are both a hair too low for my taste. If we ever get a real tuner, I will fix that..its not enough of an issue to be anything other that a little annoying. By comparison, try getting a Harley into neutral at a stop light..they have had 50 years to fix that. They don't have the stall, but owners of RG,Specials our direct competitor have to hold that hard to hold hydraulic clutch and put up with the clunky transmission and fight the shifter to find neutral.

·
Bronze member
1,541 Posts
If you want to call a little bit more noise "performance", then I guess that's the interpretation here!!!! More fuel + more air + a good set of pipes +++++ a really nice tune.....for now......= performance improvement in my book. But everyone is different and I respect that!!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,268 Posts
Slip-on mufflers generally don't add much in the way of performance but they do add more exhaust sound or noise. I think the whole thing is subjective with everybody having their own opinion and likes or dislikes. Personally if my ride has a stereo I prefer that the pipes don't drown out the music but that's just my own opinion.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want a set of aftermarket exhaust that give the bike a low end grunt but don't overwhelm you as a rider listening to music. I've just recently installed the Rinehart set. A decent compromise!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have the exact same setup. I have had the bike stall after pulling in the clutch I think 3 times but it always happened right after starting from cold taking off then having to pull clutch to stop a short distance from where I started it from cold. I am Now in the habit of starting the bike and letting it warm up for a few minutes before taking off and it has not happened since.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the exact same setup. I have had the bike stall after pulling in the clutch I think 3 times but it always happened right after starting from cold taking off then having to pull clutch to stop a short distance from where I started it from cold. I am Now in the habit of starting the bike and letting it warm up for a few minutes before taking off and it has not happened since.
Thanks! I've found that this does work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts