Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Aftermarket Seat Options

6K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Lord Bard Prime 
#1 ·
Hi guys. Need some guidance. I wasn't comfortable on the RM factory seat. Thought I'd try an "Ultimate" seat. Not bad, but still doesn't fit me real well. I don't like the wide front on it and it makes the sitting position higher and more difficult to get on and off the bike. I've looked online at Russell, Corbin, Mustang, but hard to make any decisions that way. Any suggestions for seats and manufacturers? I need leg room, but then I'm really stretched out reaching the handlebars.

Thanks.

Phil

#5 ·
Just like anything else, you’ll find varying opinions. Some people love their ultimate, Corbin or whatever brand seat, others didn’t like them. The one that everyone seems to love, is the Russell Day Long. I’ve never heard a single bad review of a RDL seat except for one member on here and I think he got whatever the problem was, worked out. I have a seat at Russell right now and it’ll be my first. Little pricey but when you long distance rides, having a comfortable backside is super important.

#6 ·
I can attest to the comfort of a Russell Day Long. Left on Friday from NW Illinois for a weekend getaway in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. 500 miles one way to the motel in Houghton. No soreness, no discomfort of any kind. Same for return trip on Sunday. Ive had my RDL for just under a year and this is the first long, continuous ride and I can definitely say that the seat is worth EVERY penny!! Russell will build the seat based on your measurements and individual requirements (forward, back, up , down, whatever)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive design Automotive tire

#8 ·
I have the Ultimate on my RM. I have 60K miles in the saddle and it is still very comfortable. But I do not like having a FOB for the seat heater. I was going to replace the Ultimate for the RDL so I can have the normal heater switch. I found our-story who was the founder and creator of the RDL. I would rather go with the original creator of RDL

#9 ·
I have two RDL's currently on bikes and Corbins on the other two. Here is my impression:
The Corbins are great for the bikes I ride around town. Can go up to 300 miles at a shot and not have any issue. Anything beyond that, or riding consecutive long days (3-500 miles) and I get some discomfort. Nothing unbearable, but still not enjoyable. This is after the break-in, which in my experience, takes about 1500 miles.

The RDL's have been flawless since day one. Fit perfectly, great comfort and didn't require a break-in. I have done ironbutt rides and also had many consecutive 600+ mile days on the RDL's and never had a single bit of discomfort.

In the end, I look at it this way - you can buy a suit off the rack and it fits OK, needs a little alteration and looks pretty good. If you have a custom suit made to measure, it's like wearing a second set of skin. Same can be said of a custom seat (RDL) vs. one bought off the shelf (Corbin).

Reactions: ndnjak
#10 ·
We recently upgraded to a Mustang seat. I previously had an Ultimate seat on my Victory XCT and loved that seat. I can say about the Mustang seat that the foam is more stiff. That, I believe, is purpose designed to give long range comfort in that it keeps its shape and keeps you off the pan. The Mustang seat did put me a little lower and further back than that factory seating position which is a good thing for me. I like the heated switches better than the factory switches. We went with the white stitching to match the tour pack pad and did run into an issue with that. Our black sheepskin cover bled out onto the white stitching and turned the stitching a shade of blue. The Mustang seat also does away with the two side bolts so only the fender bolt is used.

Overall I am a lot happier on the Mustang seat than I was with the factory seat. I would have gone with another Ultimate seat but the Mustang was a couple hundred dollars cheaper. I'll copy the link below as to where we found ours. Hope this helps!

#11 ·
Had a sheep skin on my stock seat, better but still hurt.
Then got the Ultimate mid ride and much improved, but after about a year started hurting my tailbone after a hundred miles or so.
Know have the RDL. Only had for about a week and done a couple of hours on it. I can tell already it will be much better then the others.
No the RDL is not the sexiest looking seat but neither is my ass. [emoji23] so far it feels great and in all my research on line I’ve only seen a couple of folks not happy with them right out of the box. Plus they give you 2 reworks to fix any problems after the break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
One of my co workers just mentioned to me about RDL. Looks like a long wait, which it would probably be worth it. But I need to keep the same ride height since I'm short, I don't want to have to tip toe it. I'm not an "average" person in terms of height and tactical girth, so I always have to get pants that are bigger than they need to be, especially dress pants, to fit around my legs. I find Indian's stock seat on my RM to be almost like riding a banana. The part up near the back of the gas tank is sitting way too high and presses a bit in the more sensitive area than I'd like it to. I almost wish I could cut it off, but the rest of the seat leaves a little to be wanted too. I like the way your seat looks to be back a little bit from the tank in your pic, TN, of the RDL. I guess I need to get on the horn and see how long I need to put up with this stock seat and see what they can do.

I had a Mustang seat on my Honda I had before I got the RM. Really was comfortable with the back rest. It was decently wide and supportive. I could do 500 and 600 mile days on it and it wouldn't be too bad. But it feels to me this Indian seat needs a little more support farther on the sides for me, and a shorter less of a banana factor up front at the tank.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.