Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well fellow riders: I finally got back my original saddle which has now been modified into a "Russell Daylong" saddle (you have to send in the seat pan). I am attaching the pictures of the Mustang saddle and backrest so that you can compare it with the new Russell & a "Grasshopper" back rest. The Mustang & back rest cost about $535.00. The Russell with the embroidery cost me $700.00 (all leather with contrast stitching); and the Grasshopper backrest was about $90.00 (I got it on sale). Now for the pictures you all have been waiting for and by the way a ride report will follow once I have put some miles on the new Russell.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Wow...that looks like a winner! Looks like a 1,000 mile saddle for sure and like the stitching and crossed flags. Look forward to your test ride.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well fellow riders: I finally got back my original saddle which has now been modified into a "Russell Daylong" saddle (you have to send in the seat pan). I am attaching the pictures of the Mustang saddle and backrest so that you can compare it with the new Russell & a "Grasshopper" back rest. The Mustang & back rest cost about $535.00. The Russell with the embroidery cost me $700.00 (all leather with contrast stitching); and the Grasshopper backrest was about $90.00 (I got it on sale). Now for the pictures you all have been waiting for and by the way a ride report will follow once I have put some miles on the new Russell.

I would be real interested in how you like the comfort of the Russel seat in city traffic with lots of stops. I had a Russel seat on my BMW and it raised the seat height about a 1"-1/4. It was Awesome for long distance with your feet on the pegs, but every time I came to a stop I had to slide forward a bit to get flat footed, because of the those extended wings on the sides that support your thighs. I really got to dislike that part of the Russel seat. Quality, No question, very nice craftsmanship, but it aught to be for the price. Keep us posted with an accurate report. By the way, I'm 6'2" 210lbs. 32" inseam.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the verdict is in. The Russell is a definite winner (at least for me). Stock would work great for 40 minutes then my butt would start complaining. The Mustang extended comfortable rides to the 4 hour mark. The Russell is truly a "Daylong" saddle. Having said that, Southerndude is correct about lots of stops and goes in the city. But I specifically wanted a saddle for long (hour after hour) trips and with this new seat I even forget I have a saddle (meaning I have stopped noticing any discomfort to the posterior). What I have been doing in the city is to slow down when I see a red light ahead so that I don't have to put my feet down and yes you do sit up higher due to the extra cushioning etc. I like Russell seats (always have), but they are not for everyone. Anyone want a almost new Studded Mustang driver's seat and backrest (I'll knock off $100 dollars from list)?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a new Roadmaster with 900 miles now and I to start squirming at about an hour! Can they do this in the tan?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Wonder if they have an agent here in Australia, I think that the shipping costs will push it over a $ 1000. We missing out on good stuff Down here I will send them an email and see if they send one back. Happy riding and the seat looks 110%, ill have to do with my gel pad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts