Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade my standard shock to an adjustable one for better comfort and commuting. The standard can be awfully stiff at times and I think the FTR was built to have an adjustable rear, like the new Rally model. But what are the aftermarket choices? The only one I see as a viable option is from Hyperpro. Are there any other ones I should consider?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'm going go with the Progressive once it's released. Also is there any special installation trick for a monoshock? Or is it just like a dual shock install?

·
Bronze member
2,220 Posts
Unbolt old one. Bolt in new one. Takes 10min.

I’d buy maxes rr shock that will be much cheaper unless you want height adjustability.

Also if you install an adjustable rear. You will find you will want adjustable cartridges up front as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unbolt old one. Bolt in new one. Takes 10min.

I’d buy maxes rr shock that will be much cheaper unless you want height adjustability.

Also if you install an adjustable rear. You will find you will want adjustable cartridges up front as well.

The problem I notice on bumps is my back which would be the rear if I'm correct. I don't have any problem with the front. Height is perfect no adjustment needed.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That might explain it. I come in at 225lbs about 102KG. So I think my weight is why I'm experiencing the bumps through my spine.

·
Silver member
5,472 Posts
That’s odd actually, unless it’s bottoming out, it should actually feel softer at 225lbs. What are your bike’s rear sag numbers?

·
Bronze member
2,220 Posts
Your manual explains how to set the spring tension for your weight.

If it’s set very soft. That could be your issue.

·
Silver member
5,472 Posts
Mine , static sag ;15mm , riders sag 50mm !
General advice for rear is around 25%, you may want to up the preload to around 37-40mm and try that. As long as you don’t run out of static sag that is.

I set mine at 10mm static, 36mm rider sag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts