Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a louder horn, found a pair of 110db 12v horns at harbor freight and they come with a fuse/relay but not sure if I can use one or both with the existing stock relay or do I have to install the new one and if so can I do it near the horns?

·
Founding member / platinum
10,005 Posts
You can use the OEM horn relay just connect your horn to the pos and neg of your new horn.
I did have to extend my cords because I put my new horn in a better place.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I want a louder horn, found a pair of 110db 12v horns at harbor freight and they come with a fuse/relay but not sure if I can use one or both with the existing stock relay or do I have to install the new one and if so can I do it near the horns?
There is a sponsor on this site that makes a really loud horn I have it and I love it! Can’t think of his name right now

·
Registered
294 Posts
Buffalo brand

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Buy a SOUND BOMB . I got mine at Auto zone. There about $30.00 bucks , maybe less somewhere else,, yup DENALI SOUND BOMB, put mine on in less than 5 minutes.
Not sure you meant the air type horn or the snail type. I got the Soundbomb Mini low tone (snail) horn from Twisted Throttle, was $30 but $38 total cost to mail+tax.

I had to turn adjustment screw on back for some reason. Tested okay at 12.6 Volts on the Scout connectors before starting engine and then quit when on the road. And checked good on another old battery stored away.
Now okay after several on-road tests, and one distracted driver at a green light. :D
I also needed to bend the connector tabs to clear the mounting bracket or else the horn opening couldn't point downward instead of backward. I should say here, just to state the obvious, DO NOT allow those connectors to ground out onto engine or bracket!
Oh, and remember no polarity, so connectors will work on either side.

The Scout horn wires look like 18ga, I'm not sure you could put a pair of horns onto there off those. Especially since the SBM is something like up to 5 Amp, and I've seen other similar horns say 8 Amp. The OEM disc type horn is low Amp (1.5?).

People have talked about using the FIAMM Freeway Blaster, too.
I've wondered if a really cheap horn like a Wolo would be alright? Or just one of the Hella disk horns (red for red paint Scout).
I just didn't want to bother with a separate relay for using an air horn, but that of course would be the loudest option.

And seems like people get a low tone horn instead of high tone. If you were to get the HF horn(s) I'm fairly sure you could connect the low tone alone on there as a direct replacement, as RBinTex said.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the input!
Bought the $10 HF horns and added the low tone as a second but the oem is actually louder, so it didn't help much, lol. But thats ok cause my sister's truck needs new ones anyway so I'll use them on it.
The FIAMM FreewayBlaster claims 133db so I've got one coming from Amazon for $15 and we'll see how it does.
I have a wolo compact air horn on my truck and checked the measurements to where I want to mount on the scout but it (or others like it) won't fit there comfortably IMO so wanting a more powerful snail type.

Attachments

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input!
Bought the $10 HF horns and added the low tone as a second but the oem is actually louder, so it didn't help much, lol. But thats ok cause my sister's truck needs new ones anyway so I'll use them on it.
The FIAMM FreewayBlaster claims 133db so I've got one coming from Amazon for $15 and we'll see how it does.
I have a wolo compact air horn on my truck and checked the measurements to where I want to mount on the scout but it (or others like it) won't fit there comfortably IMO so wanting a more powerful snail type.
Interesting… So you didn’t try to mount it where the Scout horn is?

Reactions: inkymike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting… So you didn’t try to mount it where the Scout horn is?
My thoughts were to add a 2nd instead of just replacing the oem.
So far so good, got the Fiamm low tone today and it sounds really good with the oem... have to make a longer jumper now though due to the new position of the terminals.
I got the high tone Fiamm also and will test both of those together to see which setup I like best. Ran outa time tonight... 4am wake up for work tomorrow :(

·
Bronze member
1,792 Posts
Sounds good (pun!).

Anyone know if the Scout horn button circuit can handle 2 horns?

Must be better to have both low and high tones, I just wonder if the system can cope with pairs like that. I'm sure a pair of disk horns wouldn't be a problem, but the snails seem to up the amperage/wattage quite a bit.

Reactions: inkymike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Screenshot_20190825-182626_PDF Viewer & Book Reader.jpg
Well after reading your post, I think I'll just keep the low fiamm and the oem for now.
I looked around some other post and found some saying that the fiamm has a 4.5 to 5 amp draw each so I definitely don't want to burn anything up!!!
Also found this spec sheet that says 9 amp draw! Soooo now I'm nervous! Lol
Thats the problem with having ideas without proper knowledge!!!
I definitely need to know what the oem circuit can handle before I go any further!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts