Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Scout Riders,

This past week I have been trying to play catch up as I haven't been able to ride much the past month and a half. Inevitably, I ended up doing some night riding and it did nothing but reiterate a feeling I had since day one: this bike needs some help in the lighting department. Now, I am no stranger to LED light bulbs as I have done the conversion previously on a different vehicle I own but it always left something to be desired in the looks department so I took my time and did nothing until last week when I ordered a knockoff version from Amazon of the famous Harley Daymaker headlight.
I know what all of you are saying right now, "turncoat, ahem, turncoat" but that is less important. What is important is that today I have received my package from Amazon, nicely wrapped like a Christmas present and my finger were itching to start messing with it right away.
Taking apart the old headlight is one of the easiest job I ever done on the Scout, you literally need one screwdriver because all you have is one screw. Once you have access to the headlight nacelle, you will find inside two electrical connections, one that connects to the main High beam/ Low beam headlight and a second one that connects to the smaller which is probably a marker light. I unplugged the main three pin headlight connector and taped the end of the two wires for the marker light. There is no cutting required as you just need to pull to unplug.
Once you have the headlight unit, remove the 4 safety pins that keep the headlight locked inside the bezel.
Take the new headlight, remove the protective film that covers it and lock it in place using the 4 safety pins.
I have to mention here that there is no secondary marker light so there is no need to connect the two wires. Just remember to tape the ends of those wires so they don't make contact with the headlight nacelle once you fit in the new after market light.
Since the size of this Daymaker headlight is 5, 3/4 inch, just light the headlight on your Scout and the entire construction of the headlight in very compact, fitting it back in it's a breeze.
Screw in the bezel and you are ready for action.
After I was ready with the installation, I switched the ignition on and voila, there was light, low beam and high beam was operating just as is should. Turned the engine on and just like magic, no explosions, no bike going up in a cloud of smoke just a nice bright light and most importantly no check engine light came on.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Chopper Cruiser
Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Sidewalk
Tire Bicycle fork Auto part Automotive tire Wheel
Technology Drain Helmet
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire
Motor vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Auto part Gauge
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Technology Drain Helmet
Technology Drain Helmet

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Trouble with most of those aftermarket LED lights off Amazon or eBay are cheap Chinese knock offs with actually poor performance and poor warranty if any.

One of the best and brightest is made in Wisconsin by JW Speaker, not cheap, but great lights with a Lifetime Warranty.

Chinese knock offs

12 LED Headlights Review Shootout

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Diamond member
9,094 Posts
Hello Scout Riders,

This past week I have been trying to play catch up as I haven't been able to ride much the past month and a half. Inevitably, I ended up doing some night riding and it did nothing but reiterate a feeling I had since day one: this bike needs some help in the lighting department. Now, I am no stranger to LED light bulbs as I have done the conversion previously on a different vehicle I own but it always left something to be desired in the looks department so I took my time and did nothing until last week when I ordered a knockoff version from Amazon of the famous Harley Daymaker headlight.
I know what all of you are saying right now, "turncoat, ahem, turncoat" but that is less important. What is important is that today I have received my package from Amazon, nicely wrapped like a Christmas present and my finger were itching to start messing with it right away.
Taking apart the old headlight is one of the easiest job I ever done on the Scout, you literally need one screwdriver because all you have is one screw. Once you have access to the headlight nacelle, you will find inside two electrical connections, one that connects to the main High beam/ Low beam headlight and a second one that connects to the smaller which is probably a marker light. I unplugged the main three pin headlight connector and taped the end of the two wires for the marker light. There is no cutting required as you just need to pull to unplug.
Once you have the headlight unit, remove the 4 safety pins that keep the headlight locked inside the bezel.
Take the new headlight, remove the protective film that covers it and lock it in place using the 4 safety pins.
I have to mention here that there is no secondary marker light so there is no need to connect the two wires. Just remember to tape the ends of those wires so they don't make contact with the headlight nacelle once you fit in the new after market light.
Since the size of this Daymaker headlight is 5, 3/4 inch, just light the headlight on your Scout and the entire construction of the headlight in very compact, fitting it back in it's a breeze.
Screw in the bezel and you are ready for action.
After I was ready with the installation, I switched the ignition on and voila, there was light, low beam and high beam was operating just as is should. Turned the engine on and just like magic, no explosions, no bike going up in a cloud of smoke just a nice bright light and most importantly no check engine light came on. View attachment 87041 View attachment 87049 View attachment 87057 View attachment 87065 View attachment 87073 View attachment 87081 View attachment 87097 View attachment 87105 View attachment 87113 View attachment 87121 View attachment 87129 View attachment 87137 View attachment 87145
View attachment 87041 View attachment 87049 View attachment 87041 View attachment 87049 View attachment 87057 View attachment 87065 View attachment 87073 View attachment 87041 View attachment 87049 View attachment 87057 View attachment 87065 View attachment 87073
Coincidentally,, I just ordered that same layout, but with the DRL between the lower 2 lights at lunch today.
I understand that they are cheap Chinese knock offs, but, I simply cant afford a few hundred for a headlight.. and I sure as $h!+ cant afford the price ill pay if my other half found out I spent hundreds on a light!
ya it has no warranty persay, but at a cost savings of,, well a few hundred dollars less, im ok with that.. also,, ive had bikes go dark before, so, if it fails at some point, oh well, throw it in the gutter, go buy another... I figure if they last a year or 2, which I doubt thell be that unreliable I can buy one a year for about 4-5 years before I lose cost effectiveness lol!
And yes, it wont be as good as the JW not even close,, but, all im looking for is a lil better than what halogen is capable of, which most do, and a more menacing modern look they create, which they also do, it fits my needs perfectly.
Side note. truth be told,, not everything from china is garbage...alot of it yes.. but not all. (Are you reading this on an iPhone? It it garbage?)
There is alot of "china" on the scout/big indians and harleys from the factory....
Oh and also on GMs, Fords, Chrysler, even Mercedes-Benz, Lamborghinis Audis blah blah blah,, on and on..... Catch my drift? Lol
Oh! And thanks @SilverMike! I now know exactly what my also silver bike will look like with it on so thanks for your very perfect timed post!!!

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hey, @SilverMike--Good post, just a request from a near-crosseyed photo viewer: Could'ja go back and cull the pix down to one appearance each, mebbe? JS...

and to you and @Hatt: Looking at the same headlight; appreciate any sort of beam comparison outside int the dark &/or up against a wall to look at the pattern. Thx!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, nobody really cares anymore if this is a Chinese knockoff or not. I have LED bulbs on other vehicles, they lasted about an year and I bought new ones. If they last 1 year I'll be happy. I like the look of this light more than I like the look of JW plus with the difference I can buy new grips, new footboard and new custom mirrors for my scout. When a LED lightbulb costs 30 dollars why not pay 60 and get the whole assembly. Coincidentally, one day after I installed this on my bike I saw a Scout with the same headlights in the parking lot of a Target.

Coincidentally,, I just ordered that same layout, but with the DRL between the lower 2 lights at lunch today.
I understand that they are cheap Chinese knock offs, but, I simply cant afford a few hundred for a headlight.. and I sure as $h!+ cant afford the price ill pay if my other half found out I spent hundreds on a light!
ya it has no warranty persay, but at a cost savings of,, well a few hundred dollars less, im ok with that.. also,, ive had bikes go dark before, so, if it fails at some point, oh well, throw it in the gutter, go buy another... I figure if they last a year or 2, which I doubt thell be that unreliable I can buy one a year for about 4-5 years before I lose cost effectiveness lol!
And yes, it wont be as good as the JW not even close,, but, all im looking for is a lil better than what halogen is capable of, which most do, and a more menacing modern look they create, which they also do, it fits my needs perfectly.
Side note. truth be told,, not everything from china is garbage...alot of it yes.. but not all. (Are you reading this on an iPhone? It it garbage?)
There is alot of "china" on the scout/big indians and harleys from the factory....
Oh and also on GMs, Fords, Chrysler, even Mercedes-Benz, Lamborghinis Audis blah blah blah,, on and on..... Catch my drift? Lol
Oh! And thanks @SilverMike! I now know exactly what my also silver bike will look like with it on so thanks for your very perfect timed post!!!
Hey, @SilverMike--Good post, just a request from a near-crosseyed photo viewer: Could'ja go back and cull the pix down to one appearance each, mebbe? JS...

and to you and @Hatt: Looking at the same headlight; appreciate any sort of beam comparison outside int the dark &/or up against a wall to look at the pattern. Thx!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm posting a lot from my phone, sometimes it takes an hour or so and two, three attempt until o finish editing my new post and I'm uploading pics after two, three attempts. That's why sometimes the pics double up.

Well, nobody really cares anymore if this is a Chinese knockoff or not. I have LED bulbs on other vehicles, they lasted about an year and I bought new ones. If they last 1 year I'll be happy. I like the look of this light more than I like the look of JW plus with the difference I can buy new grips, new footboard and new custom mirrors for my scout. When a LED lightbulb costs 30 dollars why not pay 60 and get the whole assembly. Coincidentally, one day after I installed this on my bike I saw a Scout with the same headlights in the parking lot of a Target.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I gotta agree with you on the $30-40 for an LED lamp, vs $60-70 for a whole LED headlight assembly. Was the one you got the "Wisamic?" I was looking at that one, but in chrome, rather than black.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I gotta agree with you on the $30-40 for an LED lamp, vs $60-70 for a whole LED headlight assembly. Was the one you got the "Wisamic?" I was looking at that one, but in chrome, rather than black.
Yes, I didn't want to use the thread to advertise any product, but yes. I picked this one because some reviewer said its actually glass and not plastic.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Yes sir, iPhones are cheap crap that marketing sensitive people "must have" because Steve Jobs told them they would be cool if they owned one.

At least he wasn't ripped off by the scammer IHL. Pay cheap, get cheap, dont expect it to perform like a full priced high quality American made product.... you get what you pay for. He may be replacing it in a few months to a year, roll of the dice.

·
Diamond member
9,094 Posts
Yes sir, iPhones are cheap crap that marketing sensitive people "must have" because Steve Jobs told them they would be cool if they owned one.

At least he wasn't ripped off by the scammer IHL. Pay cheap, get cheap, dont expect it to perform like a full priced high quality American made product.... you get what you pay for. He may be replacing it in a few months to a year, roll of the dice.
Completely agree about the IPhone and it's following, I used it as example because my phone is made in Korea, the iPhones worst part is actually it's software Imo and that's the American part, I'm not an apple fan at all, but to say it's cheap crap, is just straight wrong.. it's a quality product. Try some of the other brands like ZTE /LG and you will see that quickly.
Performance? No one here is expecting it to perform as well as the expensive ones.. we expect a better look , and Lil better than stock.. at decent price .. that's it..we will see how it goes, because in short time we will have facts to report rather than the presumptions we have now..

·
Diamond member
9,094 Posts

If silver doesn't beat me to it, I fully intend on giving an honest report on this lamp. With examples in the Dark, wall, and down the street. ;)

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
Completely agree about the IPhone and it's following, I used it as example because my phone is made in Korea, the iPhones worst part is actually it's software Imo and that's the American part, I'm not an apple fan at all, but to say it's cheap crap, is just straight wrong.. it's a quality product. Try some of the other brands like ZTE /LG and you will see that quickly.
Performance? No one here is expecting it to perform as well as the expensive ones.. we expect a better look , and Lil better than stock.. at decent price .. that's it..we will see how it goes, because in short time we will have facts to report rather than the presumptions we have now..
There is plenty of first hand reporting on the cheap lights. Some good, most bad. But we all have to make our own mistakes I guess. Majority of folks suffer from the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.

·
Diamond member
9,094 Posts
There is plenty of first hand reporting on the cheap lights. Some good, most bad. But we all have to make our own mistakes I guess. Majority of folks suffer from the "it won't happen to me" syndrome.
No doubt.. maybe we will get lucky, maybe not.
Never know till you try your self..
I don't by lottery tickets, so, I got a few bucks to throw away now and a again in other ways.. well see, maybe I'll scratch off a winner....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)

I know it's cheap headlight, that was the whole idea. When an Indian dealer charges $ 150 to install an LED bulb into your headlight assembly and you know there are "cheap alternatives" on the market, I say go for it. From far I guarantee you wont know the difference between my $ 60 headlight or a Daymaker and personally I don't like the "look" of a $ 420 JW.
Remember the Scout it is an entry level bike at $ 11k. If you try to make it your own, only the best American made parts like exhaust, seats, pegs, custom paint, custom wheels, bodywork, headlight will bring your cost for an entry level bike into 18-19 thousands, trust me I have done the math before. This bike is made for riding and you have to be careful with you running costs, otherwise it can quickly turn into a money drain pit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If silver doesn't beat me to it, I fully intend on giving an honest report on this lamp. With examples in the Dark, wall, and down the street. ;)
I will have some pictures by tomorrow, since this has turned into a faith based conversation where my audience is acting more like Thomas from the bible. If you really need to put your fingers into the wounds, I will have some pictures for you. No matter how you slice and dice it, it is an improvement over the stock headlight and you will see it. The dark background of the headlight also gives it a more menacing look. The construction of the headlight is very sturdy and it's very well packaged. All the reviews i have read on the site I have bought it from came from Harley owners and most of them were happy with it. I guess the ones that gave it a 1 star review didn't know how to install it on their bikes because there were reviews from owners of similar bikes that were 100% satisfied with their purchase.

·
Banned
1,578 Posts
I know it's cheap headlight, that was the whole idea. When an Indian dealer charges $ 150 to install an LED bulb into your headlight assembly and you know there are "cheap alternatives" on the market, I say go for it. From far I guarantee you wont know the difference between my $ 60 headlight or a Daymaker and personally I don't like the "look" of a $ 420 JW.
Remember the Scout it is an entry level bike at $ 11k. If you try to make it your own, only the best American made parts like exhaust, seats, pegs, custom paint, custom wheels, bodywork, headlight will bring your cost for an entry level bike into 18-19 thousands, trust me I have done the math before. This bike is made for riding and you have to be careful with you running costs, otherwise it can quickly turn into a money drain pit.
Any bike can drain your bank acct if you let it.

I never said not to buy the cheapo light. I've said not to buy the cheapo light for a high price from IHL. He rips unsuspecting people off claiming the light is more than just another Chinese knock off.

You want to cheap out that is your call, it's your ride. Just be aware of what you purchase, that's all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any bike can drain your bank acct if you let it.

I never said not to buy the cheapo light. I've said not to buy the cheapo light for a high price from IHL. He rips unsuspecting people off claiming the light is more than just another Chinese knock off.

You want to cheap out that is your call, it's your ride. Just be aware of what you purchase, that's all.
I don't know who IHL is and I probably don't care. As far as buying it, I've already bought the light from that little site nobody knows about called Amazon and their vendor already fooled a lot of Harley riders who gave this light raving reviews. I guess all we need to do now is wait and see when it's gonna break down so we ca starting bashing the "Chinese knockoff" or wherever this headlight was made.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks nice. Toss up between the daymaker vs the JW for me. The JW has the halo glow that looks pretty cool

I don't know who IHL is and I probably don't care. As far as buying it, I've already bought the light from that little site nobody knows about called Amazon and their vendor already fooled a lot of Harley riders who gave this light raving reviews. I guess all we need to do now is wait and see when it's gonna break down so we ca starting bashing the "Chinese knockoff" or wherever this headlight was made.

·
Banned
5,398 Posts
Let us know..........I'm going to do the same with this Scout (used) I bought. I decided to keep this Scout and sell off the other bikes like the old Sporty bobber with a aftermarket driving light for the headlight. Geez............talk about outrunning one's lights.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts