Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any info as to when we can expect cams,intakes,etc for our engines? Besides what Indian has, I haven't seen anything. I figured with the popularity of this bike, there would be a ton of companies trying to be first to the table.

·
Bronze member
1,958 Posts
Cams with patented compression release by Polaris are going to be very difficult to get around. HD is still highly customizable. I believe there are two reasons. One, Polaris wants to capture high percentage of aftermarket with their overpriced offerings, and two, a wink-wink with the EPA that puts them in good stead by not encouraging aftermarket that doesn't care about EPA.

·
Bronze member
3,960 Posts
Anyone have any info as to when we can expect cams,intakes,etc for our engines? Besides what Indian has, I haven't seen anything. I figured with the popularity of this bike, there would be a ton of companies trying to be first to the table.

Cams are doubtful, since Indian owns the patent on the cam release. Now on the 111/116 bikes S&S makes them for them (Indian) and owns the patent on the compression release, so Lloydz and others have S&S make cams for them. The engine has to be dropped and the water jacket opened when he heads and engine is pulled apart. It will most likely be to expensive and time consuming for dealers let alone them doing it right with out leaking.

Indian has had a hard enough time getting a good EPA and Euro tune with this bike, let alone trying to get one with cams. The Indian tunes for the stage 2 and 3 on the 111/116 bikes are terrible.

The Challenger has pretty much the most optimized air intake system, so do the 111/116 bikes. On the 111/116 bikes all the air intakes out there have no real effect on performance. Maybe 1-3% at wide open throttle.

But until Dynojet cracks the ECU with a good effective Power-vision. You probably won't see much. One thing to consider, water cooled bikes don't have a lot of mods available for them due to the cost and complexity of upgrades.

·
Bronze member
2,165 Posts
Unfortunately Indian is going the same way as most manufacturers in general, tight parameters and control with little to no room for much engine performance modifications. According to Lloyd, Indian could have made the PP with a cam cover so cam swaps would be much easier, but for now even if you could find cams, you'd have to drop the entire motor to do it.

Here's Loydz explanation @ 2 minute mark.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts