Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought my bike with the Stage 1 installed and put the Rineharts on at just over 300 miles. No noticeable popping. I think I've heard it a few times but not near my previous bike.
I have stage 2 on the Chieftain. Fuel Moto couldn't sort out the backfire with their PV3 tune, so I have it set to the Stage 2 flash. I had plans of getting it on the dyno, but now I have the Challenger coming in next week

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,951 Posts
You'll like it. The Powerplus 108 engine performance is significantly higher than the Thunderstrokes. I had a Chieftain with stages 1 & 2 and it was good but this Challenger outperforms it. My 2020 Chally is stock but with Stage One Ovals exhaust and flash.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Coming from the Harley world, I'm finding there aren't as many choices for aftermarket parts for the Indian.....not complaining. by any means....lI hit a home run when I bought this bike. Love the bike (2021 Challenger), and for right now I don't plan on doing much but adding some "beefier" exhaust mods, mainly some slip-ons. The stock pipes are......ok, but I need something with just a bit more rumble to remind me of my Harley heritage😬

I've searched and see two choices: Rinehart and Tab Performance. Are there any others out there? what are most of you using? Pleased with the quality/finish/performance? Any issues with just adding slip-ons without a Stage 1 flash and decel popping? Any K&N users? Plusses/minuses with using them? What is the popular place where all the cool kids are getting their parts?......
Morning, and some great questions here. I have a 21 also. I did reach out to Toce Exhausts yesterday. They told me they are developing a new 2 into 1, and should be on their website in a month. I do have a set of Stage 1 mufflers that I could put on, but hanging off to see what comes on aftermarket. COVD19 had a major impact on R & D for the Challengers in particular. Hope you are enjoying the ride, and staying upright. Cheers. GB

·
Registered
5 Posts
You'll like it. The Powerplus 108 engine performance is significantly higher than the Thunderstrokes. I had a Chieftain with stages 1 & 2 and it was good but this Challenger outperforms it. My 2020 Chally is stock but with Stage One Ovals exhaust and flash.
G'day Reinie,

When you got the flash, with the Stage 1 oval mufflers, did you notice much difference at all? I have a 21 and have a set of Stage 1 oval mufflers I could put on. I am thinking of matching them with either a K & N air filter or an S & S to improve breathing. The flash should help the match up really well. so very interested to get your observations. Cheers GB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guess I'm getting old but I just had the dealer remove the stage 2 cams and put the stock ones back in so I could get rid of the obnoxious stage 1 oval slip ons. Totally ruined the riding experience for my wife and I. At 63 I no longer think loud is cool. The stock exhaust sounds perfect to us. And this machine is plenty fast enough without the claimed 10% HP increase. To each his own though! :)
Great call. As someone who is now suffering significant hearing loss coupled with a major dose of tinnitus, I wish I had been WAY more careful with my hearing. LOVE the rumble of the V twins, but you pay a heavy price in the long term for those loud pipes. PLUS on a long trip loud pipes absolutely sap your energy levels so much.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had the Tab Performance BAM exhaust with the 2.5 baffles at first.. For me it was too quiet.. only sounded better when full open throttle.. wanted something a bit more aggressive at idle and around town, but not too loud.. changed the baffles to zombie.. much better.. always like the 2 into 1 setup so decided to change again... this time I went with a Freedom Performance 2 into 1 side dump. Wow, what an amazing sound.. very loud.. I like it but not sure neighbors would so I added a quiet baffle to it. I think it's perfect now.. nice low vtwin rumble at idle but quickly becomes more aggressive when you open it.. sounds great during local riding, and even better on the highway. couldn't be happier.. but sound is subjective. depends on what you want. and sometimes you have to try a few options before finding the right balance. my 2cents.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

2020 Challenger Dark Horse Thunder Black Smoke

Freedom Exhaust 2into1 turnout side dump exhaust
Indian PowerPlus Stage 1 air intake
FMP 14" bars
Arlen Ness Billet mirrors
Indian heated grips
Klockwerks tinted windshield
Custom Dynamics LED saddlebag light strip
Saddlemen Stepup seat
Backoff third brake light flasher
Indian PowerBand Audio 6.5 fairing speaker upgrade
PSR adjustable levers
OG floorboards, shift and brake pegs
TLC Thunder & Lightning Customs engine guard
Eagle Lights LED Halo headlight
Dynojet ECU flash

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Guess I'm getting old but I just had the dealer remove the stage 2 cams and put the stock ones back in so I could get rid of the obnoxious stage 1 oval slip ons. Totally ruined the riding experience for my wife and I. At 63 I no longer think loud is cool. The stock exhaust sounds perfect to us. And this machine is plenty fast enough without the claimed 10% HP increase. To each his own though! :)
I'm 64 and just got my 21 Challenger. I did purchase the stage 1 air intake as part of the $500 Indian promotion. Was thinking of getting the Lloyds slip-ons, a CRT-V1 Flash and possibly the cams. I don't like REALLY LOUD pipes but I like to hear a rumble. I would like to optimize the performance of the machine, but loud isn't that important. Thanks for your post. I think I lean your way.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger
157 Posts
I'm 64 and just got my 21 Challenger. I did purchase the stage 1 air intake as part of the $500 Indian promotion. Was thinking of getting the Lloyds slip-ons, a CRT-V1 Flash and possibly the cams. I don't like REALLY LOUD pipes but I like to hear a rumble. I would like to optimize the performance of the machine, but loud isn't that important. Thanks for your post. I think I lean your way.
Most likely the reason we both hated the oval slip on's, which BTW were the quieter of the Indian products I was told, is because we both wear full face / modular helmets. These seem to amplify the noise to the point of having to turn up the music on the comm's to the point of being nerve racking. I suppose a 1/2 helmet or no helmet would not cause one to hate all the exhaust noise as much.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I had the Tab Performance BAM exhaust with the 2.5 baffles at first.. For me it was too quiet.. only sounded better when full open throttle.. wanted something a bit more aggressive at idle and around town, but not too loud.. changed the baffles to zombie.. much better.. always like the 2 into 1 setup so decided to change again... this time I went with a Freedom Performance 2 into 1 side dump. Wow, what an amazing sound.. very loud.. I like it but not sure neighbors would so I added a quiet baffle to it. I think it's perfect now.. nice low vtwin rumble at idle but quickly becomes more aggressive when you open it.. sounds great during local riding, and even better on the highway. couldn't be happier.. but sound is subjective. depends on what you want. and sometimes you have to try a few options before finding the right balance. my 2cents.

View attachment 659237

2020 Challenger Dark Horse Thunder Black Smoke

Freedom Exhaust 2into1 turnout side dump exhaust
Indian PowerPlus Stage 1 air intake
FMP 14" bars
Arlen Ness Billet mirrors
Indian heated grips
Klockwerks tinted windshield
Custom Dynamics LED saddlebag light strip
Saddlemen Stepup seat
Backoff third brake light flasher
Indian PowerBand Audio 6.5 fairing speaker upgrade
PSR adjustable levers
OG floorboards, shift and brake pegs
TLC Thunder & Lightning Customs engine guard
Eagle Lights LED Halo headlight
Dynojet ECU flash

THAT....my friend....is a good lookin setup.

·
Registered
487 Posts
2020 Challenger

I’ve had Rineharts and loved the deep sound but they weren’t loud enough.

I then bought Tab Zombies and they sounded pretty damn awesome. Then I got to noticing they sounded kinda tinny.

Back to Rineharts with a 2/1 Tab Cat delete. Pretty happy with that combo. Nice and deep and fairly loud.

I just added the Rinehart performance baffle which makes them about 10% louder IMHO. Now I think I have the perfect deep rumble that is comfortably loud.

If you just want obnoxious loud go with Tab Zombies and Tab decat. You will need earplugs after 30 min along with anyone riding within 250 yards behind you.
I decided to keep the cat in my Challenger with my TAB Zombie baffles as well. My dealer told me that they decated a Challenger with TAB Zombies and it was ridiculous loud and not in a real good way either. Even the owner was having some serious second thoughts about it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For what it’s worth, the decat was the best thing I’ve done to my bike. My bike idles and runs much better. I don’t get the idle surging. Just nice and smooth. I also turned off the cylinder deactivation at the same time. I’m not sure which made my bike run better but it definitely does!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don't know what magic they preformed but Rhinehart killed my set up with a one off full stainless exhaust system and there mufflers. It's very quiet at idle, so much that my buddy with a roadglide said " I thought you said it ha pipes on it" lol. But when I crack it it has a amazing rumble and growl. Even Ryan Randall at llyods said it was one of the best he has heard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Most likely the reason we both hated the oval slip on's, which BTW were the quieter of the Indian products I was told, is because we both wear full face / modular helmets. These seem to amplify the noise to the point of having to turn up the music on the comm's to the point of being nerve racking. I suppose a 1/2 helmet or no helmet would not cause one to hate all the exhaust noise as much.
I wear a Shoei Neotech II (which is a modular helmet) that I purchased with the 21 Chally. I used to wear a 1/2 when I had the Victory. I have rode with both on the Chally and the full face resonates the sound in my ears. I know have a set of pin-lock ear plugs I wear. I still hear the low rumble of the Reinharts but it is more tolerable after a day in the saddle.

I too, have tinnitus from years of listening to that big red truck sirens.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't know what magic they preformed but Rhinehart killed my set up with a one off full stainless exhaust system and there mufflers. It's very quiet at idle, so much that my buddy with a roadglide said " I thought you said it ha pipes on it" lol. But when I crack it it has a amazing rumble and growl. Even Ryan Randall at llyods said it was one of the best he has heard.
Reinharts made a one off exhaust? I bet it sounds good. Wish I was close to them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts