Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife really loves her new bike... a new/old stock 2019 Scout ABS. The only thing she doesn't like is the throttle when cruising at speed. I've ridden it several times as well. We know it's a snappy throttle response on this bike. However, it's impossible to hold at a steady speed. If the throttle moves AT ALL... we're talking as little as 1/16th of an inch, the bike will accelerate immediately. If I inhale, shrug, turn my head, reposition myself on the seat, hit a tiny bump in the road... ANY movement at all makes the bike jump forward.

I've ridden everything from dirt bikes to standards to sport bikes to Goldwings, and I've NEVER had a bike that wouldn't allow me to cruise down the road without jerking my head back over and over.

We've been to the dealer. They assure us that the Indian Flashes are all updated. They also test ride it and say, "Well, it's just a peppy bike." I'm not buying it.

Now, I'm looking for ways to re-map the throttle with aftermarket products. Does anyone have any recommendations that you've used/tried? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Power commander V andf FuelMoto are great. B|tch to install with the tight battery compartment but your best bet. One of the fuel injectors is at the bottom and another sucks so bad you have to remove a bunch of stuff to reach. Let me know how it turns out! YouTube has a video on this for the Power Commander if you need help. Ordering my Maroon 2021 Scout Bobber this week and will be doing this myself soon as I get it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So a standard tune using a PV3 from FuelMoto will address the sensitivity issue of the throttle described here? I'm really trying to decide if it is worth the cost of the PV3 & intake upgrade to warrant going that route on my Sixty. Making the throttle less sensitive would seem a benefit to me as well. Will a tune effect how much the throttle needs to be open to achieve a certain speed? I ask because I have a numb hand issue after a while of riding and use a throttle boss but to have it adjusted to be comfortable at cruising speed it is almost in the way at any other speed (points up). If the throttle required less movement from stopped to cruising speed this issue would go away for me as well.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input! I spoke with "Bob" at FuelMoto. Came away with the impression that they really love what they do, and that their customer service is first rate. He talked about what we would likely see regarding outcomes when using the PV3 with my wife's scout, including running leaner, smoother, and cooler. With regard to the throttle, they see diminishing returns on bikes where the power to weight ratio is greater, so he was guarded about seeing a dynamic improvement, but was willing to work until she was satisfied. We ordered one for her (gave us a discount code).

In a related point, since the PV3 also would work on my Challenger, I wondered if an additional license could be purchased so we could share it. I'm not disappointed with my Challenger's performance, but it might be nice to run things a little cleaner and leaner. Bob recommended calling Dynojet to inquire, because Harley's have the ability to use several licenses with one unit. I called them, and they sure do (for Indian's at least). $199.99 gives a second license, so it's kinda like buying a second PV3 for half price. I might do it just for the long term benefits to performance and engine life.

Again, thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Ride safe.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
No PV3 or orher compatible tuner available for Challenger yet.
Challenger has 3 modes for throttle settings built in.
Completely different setup than scout.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you think you'll use FuelMotos tuning services buy thru them otherwise you will pay more.I believe with Dynojet it's canned tunes only.

·
Silver member
4,727 Posts
Thanks for the input! I spoke with "Bob" at FuelMoto. Came away with the impression that they really love what they do, and that their customer service is first rate. He talked about what we would likely see regarding outcomes when using the PV3 with my wife's scout, including running leaner, smoother, and cooler. With regard to the throttle, they see diminishing returns on bikes where the power to weight ratio is greater, so he was guarded about seeing a dynamic improvement, but was willing to work until she was satisfied. We ordered one for her (gave us a discount code).

In a related point, since the PV3 also would work on my Challenger, I wondered if an additional license could be purchased so we could share it. I'm not disappointed with my Challenger's performance, but it might be nice to run things a little cleaner and leaner. Bob recommended calling Dynojet to inquire, because Harley's have the ability to use several licenses with one unit. I called them, and they sure do (for Indian's at least). $199.99 gives a second license, so it's kinda like buying a second PV3 for half price. I might do it just for the long term benefits to performance and engine life.

Again, thanks for your feedback, everyone!

Ride safe.
The PV3 is not compatible with the Challenger...yet.

On the throttle response issue, when you fill out the MAP Request form on FM's site, specify that you would like to desensitize the Drive By Wire settings. I am on my Mac at the moment, it might just be the 2020 Scouts that have the 3 drive modes..I cannot recall, however they can easily take the tour mode of the 2020 and copy those tables over to the 2019 of your wife's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
When I 1st got my Scout I noticed it was a bit sensitive.9000 mi later I dont notice it at all. I dont know how many miles you have on yours but if not a lot,try putting some more miles on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
When I 1st got my Scout I noticed it was a bit sensitive.9000 mi later I dont notice it at all. I dont know how many miles you have on yours but if not a lot,try putting some more miles on.
Exact same thing here!!!

When I first started every little bump jerked me around left and right. It was a big problem, but 800 miles later and i don't even notice it.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an update, and thankfully, a happy ending to the story. I purchased the PV3 from Fuel Moto. They responded after three days with a file for my wife's Scout. It smoothed everything out perfectly, and she's extremely happy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts