Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
would like to share with you my personal investigations for a real quick release aftermarket full fairing with Stereo possibility and good quality for the Springfield.
After some research I found out, that 4,5 US Manufacturer offer batwing farings for Indian Thunder stroke models. And very recently another great one, but I explain him at the end of this report.

My intention was to find a good manufacturer who offers a quick release fairing. And that’s the reason I refused some of them, but that’s just my opinion.

Here the 3 candidates, which dropped out for me, because they are „Very slow release“ instead of „quick release“ fairings or they don’t work with the Springfield due to the different rake compared to the vintage models. (from 2020 all Thunder Strokes have the same rake as the Springfield and their fixed fairing sisters)

1. Dirty Birds
a.
b.
c. installation: Indian Drifter Fairing Install for Indian Chief | John Shope's Dirty Bird Concepts | Custom Bagger Parts
i. Looks very cool and seems to be a good quality
d. Big Downside: Not quick release and you have to detach even the bar with the extra lights! :(....so seems to be a permanent solution

Edit: 23th Dec. 2020: from Dirty Birds website, Info for the Springfield: "... This fairing is made specifically for Chief, Vintage and Classic only but with some skill, fabrication and modifications can be made to fit a Springfield if you dare to take on the challenge, good luck. .....Springfield models may require additional drilling"
Specific answer from them after asking how about the Springfield: "... In order to make our fairing work you would need to make your own mounting bracket, we suggest a professional shop with welding experience to accomplish this task...."

very nice done, pic is coming out of this forum: Indian Chief Fairing Conversion (Dirty Bird Concepts)

and here someone found a cool solution with the Dirty Bird fairing keeping the light bar:

2. Dragonfly
a.
b. Dragonfly Cycle Concepts
They offer a pretty nice fairing for the Vintage and Chief models, but unfortunately not for the Springfield, I was sending them an E-Mail and I got following “quick and dirty” response:
i. „we do not have a fairing for the Springfield model“
...................:(

3. Reckless
a. They have been one of my favorites! Awesome Loudspeaker and a pretty impressive quality and design
b. Following youtube link shows my specific favorite, full power with the four speakers and extra amplifier. The Bluetooth module is also pretty nice.
i.
ii. it is available also for the Springfield!!!

edit: 4th of April 2021, new Youtube Video:

Indian Springfield Fairing (Stereo Included)

I wanted to get more information about the detachment procedure, so how fast, here their answer:
"Yea, the Indian fairing mounts different than our others, you probably wont want to take it on an off once you have it mounted due to the way it mounts. I would say 20 mins if you have an extra set of hands helping you...."
Result, for me also too long :(

AND my Winner is...(till some days ago)???

4. Wide Open

Wide Open Custom Indian Springfield Motorcycle Fairing

here my Mail response from Wide Open:
„Yes, the Indian Springfield fairing is a quick release. It mounts onto the OEM mounts. We send some bolts and spacers with the fairing, so you don't have to buy anything or change anything on your bike. It will take you just about 45 seconds to 1 minute to take off the fairing. ..."

Here Wide Opens answers to some other questions I had:
Bjorn,
„No, our fairing is High Impact ABS plastic, just like Harley, Victory, etc fairings. The color is off white. Reckless fairings are a 2 piece fiberglass fairing our is a 1 piece fairing.
Our speakers are 4- 5 1/4 JVC 300 Watt 3-Way speakers, they are very loud you can turn up the music and it will not distort. No amplifier is built in the stereo. The stereo is a JVC Bluetooth Marine stereo 200 watts, it is powerful enough to let the speakers get really loud. You can add an amplifier in the fairing if you would like to.
The Klock Werks windshield cost with the fairing is $159.00 more and if you buy it later the cost is $179.00 + freight. You can choose a 5 1/2" Smoke, Black, or Clear or an 8' or 10" Smoke or clear. You don't have to have the 5 1/2" windshield.
Freedom Wings help with the buffing that comes from underneath the fairing, it will push the wind more around you. On hot days you can open them up and bring the air toward you.
Yes, there is a little compartment under the stereo and it's for something small like your glasses, gloves, or gum.
If you have any questions please call or e-mail us.
Thank you for your sales inquiry.“

Because I was a bit skeptic what the sales guy wrote to me, I found Shawn here in this Indian Forum, who has that fairing, so I asked him some questions. He sees the 1-minute for nonsense, but a couple of minutes realistic: (or they changed something after Shawn bought it?)
Look here, I am BMA:
Indian Motorcycle Forum

I would probably also order the 6.5 inch clock werks flare shielding in addition and also the freedom wings (see above, Wide Opens answers) The Harley Street glide fraction is thrilled from that (pretty expensive) windshield. It should further minimize the annoying buffeting.

And here some interesting posts from Shawn (Anderson 930) about the Wide Open fairing. After I found that I started going into contact with him.
Shawn, alias Anderson 930 has a “Springmaster” as you can see here:
Wide Open Customs quick-release fairing [photo heavy]

Thanks so much Shawn for all answers, highly appreciated!

Maybe it is possible to take out the OEM mounting parts from the original windshield and to convert/ fix it to the Wide Open fairing. That would surely decrease the attaching and releasing time, but that need to be decided, if it is possible anyway, when the fairing is present or maybe Shawn can give a statement already?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and now surprisingly a very cool candidate I recently found and that's damn cool and absolutely quick release solution and very special Indian and not Harley-like like all the others!

I love this result a lot!! :
It seems he did it just as a single project for someone, but I don't know.

and here his preparation for that lovely real Indian specific and unique Fairing probably some months before he finished everything:

and here unfortunately the big minus: I was asking Larry for the price and got following answer:
"Bjorn, nothing would make me happier than to get Fairings to everyone who wants one. Unfortunately, the local manufacturers want too much to make them, which makes them unaffordable. When I can make them, they are $1800, they include polished Stainless Steel, quick connect brackets, low profile speakers, windshield, and all necessary hardware...."....... :cry:

So that's it, hope i could give one or the other some useful information if he or she have plans purchasing an aftermarket fairing for our beloved Springfield or Vintage models.

Best Regards from good old Germany

stay and ride safe,

Björn

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have experience with the dirtybird fairing. The pros are it looks great, you can fit a variety of Harley-Davidson wind screens and its bomb proof. What ever this material is it’s made of it will survive a 10 story fall. The cons are it’s a level 3 install meaning depending on how it comes out of the mold it may need some modifications, if you are unhappy with the part good luck with getting help or your money back, finally it’s really heavy and noticeable when riding in the twisties or turning in general, you will always notice the weight. Bottom line is it looks great but takes the joy out of the ride,“ In My Humble Experience!”.

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
I don't get the point on this. I bought my Springfield specifically because it didn't have a fairing, but I wanted hard bags and an old school look. If I wanted a fairing I would have just bought a Chieftain...

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't get the point on this. I bought my Springfield specifically because it didn't have a fairing, but I wanted hard bags and an old school look. If I wanted a fairing I would have just bought a Chieftain...
My buddy bought a basic Chief awhile ago. So his bike was paid for. Experimenting with a fairing at the time is better than buying another bike.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The point is not having it all the time but having options. I love the look of my vintage without anything up front, no fairing and leave the windshield at home most of the time. But I do like having the windshield for longer journeys and actually would like a fairing for colder weather and long rides since I do ride year round not just in summer. So a chieftain(or roadmaster) would never be my choice as I’d be stuck with the fairing all the time. I like the looks of the dirty bird fairing but hate that ya have to remove the extra driving lights to mount it so won’t buy it for that reason. And I don’t really like the Harley look to most of the other options, but might could deal with it I guess.

I also like the option of hardbags like the Springfield, but don’t want them all the time either. So I’ll be getting some hard bags to be able to swap(had a set on my 2018 but they were on it when the bike was totaled so haven’t got a new set yet for my 2019). So most of my riding will be no fairing or windshield, and leather bags over hard bags, but it’s nice to have the choice when I want it to switch it up. Be stupid to buy a chieftain and try to make it work without the fairing most of the time.

And to the OP, that last option from Spike’s custom, I actually saw some other posts online about it when he was developing it end of last year and he said it would be around $1300 for it, but that stereo and windshield options would be extra so guess that’s where it gets to $1800. Personally I don’t want a stereo in the fairing and actually don’t like the stereo box on the inside of that fairing coming over the middle of the handlebars. But like the look otherwise so maybe when I do get around to getting a fairing option I’ll go for that one(and maybe just cut out the inner stereo box and sand it smooth, idk).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are people which clearly want a fixed fairing, others don't want any fairings. I am someone in between, therefore I did my research under the main criteria: How fast can it be attached/ detached. I mainly like riding without any fairing and I like a lot the design of the Springfield without any fairing. The stock windshields are more disturbing with buffeting than protecting against the wind. So a nice big quick release fairing is something I am looking for. For long Touring and in cold weather a fairing has clear advantages and in Germany we don't have always warm and nice weather. :)

·
Silver member
6,282 Posts
I get wanting versatility; however, other than Dirty Birds they all look HD design inspired to me; so for that reason I wouldn't put any of those on my Indian if I already didn't own a chieftain - JMHO.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I'd give that a try on my Springfield and Spike's fairing continues the Indian design. The main reason for me is fuel consumption. If I'm out touring and have a strong headwind, the very vertical windshield is about as aerodynamic as a brick wall and my fuel consumption drops alarmingly.

I tour a bit with other Indians, mostly Chieftains and RMs and they always get better fuel consumption than I do. The fairings are much better for aerodynamic performance than the Springfield's windshield.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Btw, there’s also another option I found a good while back. It’s a bit less HD looking. Looks like they’re from Canada. Says on the page it’ll work for Springfield. Not sure about how it mounts, but figured I’d put it here as an additional option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great @CookieCK : It would be nice if this overview will grow so that everybody being interested in an aftermarket fairing can easily find and select what's on the market and fits to his own preference! Thanks so much! .......That fairing looks similar to the current more modern fixed fairings. Quality impression is also pretty high and price tag as well. I will contact them asking about how fast in can be attached/ detached. This criteria should be important for those people like me who wants a versatile and not permanent solution. Regards, Björn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
just got answer from HP, they said:
"we put 2 holes left side and right side same place to oem attachment
all fairing comme with polyester primer
"

and they said, it's not quick release.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Maybe it is possible to take out the OEM mounting parts from the original windshield and to convert/ fix it to the Wide Open fairing. That would surely increase the attaching and releasing time, but that need to be decided, if it is possible anyway, when the fairing is present or maybe Shawn can give a statement already?
Great post, Björn! I actually have my fairing out for paint now (finally!) so I'm hoping to have it on in time for a road trip through Vermont to end the season at the end of the month. I'll be sure to share photos and additional reviews. I do wonder if the spools you need to swap out on the sides of the nacelle for this fairing are compatible with the Vintage OEM windshield hardware. I guess if one is willing to replace their OEM SF windshield with a Vintage then it would cut the time required to swap out in half. I have a buddy with a Chief Vintage so I'll check with his windshield whenever I get a chance. Alternatively, the fairing could fit the stock SF hardware if the fairing's chrome hardware could be modified with some grinding/cutting but that's outside my wheelhouse. I'd be happy to take some photos of the hardware if there's someone interested in evaluating this option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@anderson930 Shawn, it would be great getting some pics of the painted fairing! And thanks for the compliment :)....Looking forward to seeing that. Additional infos about accelerating the installation manoeuvre would be interesting for me as well. I just corrected my post, as you have probably seen, i did a mistake. I mean of course decreasing the attaching and releasing time and not increasing.

·
Bronze member
2,292 Posts
I like this thread a lot!
Interesting would be to know if Indian 16" Ape Hangers (e.g.) would fit/not fit or if for some fairings a different design with a bend (like e.g. KST bars for the Chieftains) would be required.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@cmoalem I guess you would have to individually discuss that with the vendor you prefer. What I could notice from the the Spike version, that all available handle bars would work, but i would recommend to ask him before you order.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It was a tough choice when It came down to selecting a Springfield or a Chieftain. I opted for the Springfield for the reasons that we all agree on. For me, it makes me feel like I’m riding a classic bike. I rarely ride with the windscreen on. For longer transits, like the ride to Sturgis, the windshield goes on to get me there and I chunk it into the tent while riding during that week. The Chieftain slips through the air more comfortably and economically. It surprised me how low the windshield could be and not be turbulence at my helmet. Still, it a big hunk of modern era plastic in your face. So much for the classic riding experience.

Well, I cracked the code and built up a Chieftain classic fairing opting for the much cheaper 2016 inner fairing. I have no interest in having the infotainment system, which is also insanely pricey. I wired it with quick disconnect plugs for the fairing blinkers and highway lights. No highway lights in Springfield mode, but I’m good with that. It’s removable in 15 seconds and mountable in 40 seconds. like the batwing product, it exploits the existing quick release windshield mounts. I removed the release brackets and had some metal fabrication performed on these pieces. I also did some trimming of the front mounting tabs on the fairing headlight bezel. It took many fittings to get everything right, but it’s a very snug fit.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Car

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That is a fantastic idea and implementation! Very impressive! .........For everybody who can't decide between a Springfield and Chieftain that "Springtain" is the solution!

You should offer a complete package and sell it :cool: .......For me the only disadvantage is to take off the light bar. What kind of material cost in total is it roughly?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks! I had considered the highway lights, but realized that I like the leaner, cleaner appearance of the new Dark Horse Springfield that happens to be minus these lights. So I just transitioned my highway lights to the fairing. The highway lights are just part of the convertible concept.

While the bars are part of the fairing project, I justify the added expense under a separate bike mod category. It helps me to justify the total project cost. If you look at the batwing aftermarket fairing options, you stay with the stock Springfield bars. These are definitely not stock bars. They are KST apes that are tailored to me and this unique convertible Indian!

Here's the itemized shopping list and sources I used:

Indian Fairing Project:
Ebay: Indian Roadmaster Headlight bezel Pearl White Smoke ($143)
Ebay: Indian Chieftain/Roadmaster Front Fairing Face Dark Blue ($230)
Cheap Cycle Parts: Indian Chieftain/Roadmaster Inner Front Fairing: ($218)
Cheap Cycle Parts: Fairing Visor ($115)
Cheap Cycle Parts: Fairing turn signals ($294)
Cheap Cycle Parts: Fairing Speaker grills ($40)
Cheap Cycle Parts: Misc. Fairing parts ($30)
Freedom Shields: 14” recurved tinted windshield ($175)
Quick Release fabrication mod ($100)
Various Parts: ($120)
Total: $1465

Aftermarket Chieftain ape hanger handlebar upgrade/mod:

KST: 10” Apache polished Ape hangers ($300)
Handlebar fabrication mods ($225)
-Reach -3”
-Bend reduced 15 degrees
-2” increase width at crest
Dennis Kirk: NAMZ handlebar extension harness -24” ($90)
(Due to subtracting 3" from reach, didn't need this extension)
Dennis Kirk: Clutch cable +4” – ($100)
Barrette Brake cable +6” – ($100)
Total: $725 with custom alterations

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great and thanks for that detailed information! I will show that my local dealer, he is also a great bike customizer, maybe he is interested to offer that to those customer, who can't decide between a naked- or fairing- Indian. A small question mark remains, the oval hole in the inner fairing. Maybe a small storage compartment is a solution?.....or an Espresso machine? :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Great and thanks for that detailed information! I will show that my local dealer, he is also a great bike customizer, maybe he is interested to offer that to those customer, who can't decide between a naked- or fairing- Indian. A small question mark remains, the oval hole in the inner fairing. Maybe a small storage compartment is a solution?.....or an Espresso machine? :)
Ha! There are definitely a few options to pursue for that vacant area. storage area is always at a premium on motorcycles. Especially space that's accessible while riding! The Espresso machine would be amazing! Maybe a little big of a tight fit, but what a novelty that would be!

I'm planning to fabricate a metal plate/door to allow for magnetic attachment of my smart phone. That'll provide my navigation and infotainment through my Sena bluetooth helmet comms. I just need to come up with a hinge and latch solution for it. I haven't decided on whether to go with a box or bag enclosure for the containment over and around the Springfield nacelle. The speaker areas are also available storage, as I have no intent to add speakers.

Anyway, I just put the finished this project (for riding functionality) and took the bike out for trials yesterday to make sure my brakes, clutch, electrical were all functional. Due to handlebar change, I had to change out the clutch and brake cables with longer ones. This also involved a brake bleeding process. Since I'm fairly new to motorcycles, these are all first mechanical experiences for me. I rely heavily on my obsessive drive and mechanical inclination to get me through these things. The road test also confirmed fairing mount integrity and aerodynamics. I did bumpy surface and also hit 100 MPH with no fairing issues.

For the amount of changes I performed during this project, I can't believe everything performed to my hopes and expectations. To most other folks, the word would be perfect, but nothing is ever perfect enough for me. Today's perfection is tomorrow's opportunity to enhance it. The main adjustment for me was getting acquainted with ape hanger bars. They do make me feel like a badass outlaw biker! 😜

1 - 20 of 31 Posts